Entropy

>The universe tends to disorder

What fuckwit came up with that? Doesn't it clearly tend towards order?

Are we suggesting the universe was once in a completely balanced, unified and orderly state, and just decided "meh, i'll just break and tend to disorder LOL"

Learn more about the 2nd law of thermodynamics

In the time since I made the thread, what I've learned is that the law actually dictates things are more disorderly going backwards AND going forwards.

Which DOES make more sense to me.

>the bag bang was the most orderly time in the universes existence

>time doesn't exist yet, there is no sequence to anything, just pure energy and infinite potentials, probabilities, before the laws of physics even formed themselves
>herpderp this represents the most orderly time ever

I fucking hate scientists

> pure energy and infinite potentials
I fucking hate plebs who doesn't know shit about physics talking on Veeky Forums

>implying the beginning of the universe wasn't pure energy and infinite probabilities
>"I fucking hate plebs who doesn't know shit about physics "

Self-loathing hasn't been a thing since the 90's

>pure energy and infinite probabilities
Probabilities are not objects that you can have. You don't look through the telescopes to find probabilities floating around in space.

Are you implying probabilities don't exist because you cannot see one from an observatory?

Kill yourself.

Humans, which are part of the universe obviously, will set things in order again. It is destinied we must become a type 100 civilizatzion and bend the universe to our will.

I never said that they don't exist. You are saying that the universe was or had infinite probabilities.

What does that even mean? 'This has infinite probabilities' is a meaningless statement that is probably also wrong.

Now I get the feeling you are just trolling.

>Veeky Forums
>Science and Math
>he's questioning math basics
>he's literally arguing against probability existing?!

Nah, it's clearly you who's trolling.

Big Bang conditions were that of raw, unbounded, structure-less, sequence-less energy. The laws of physics had not yet even formed. We don't even know what spacetime is at that point.

Thus, everything you know as truth was only a probability at that point. This isn't some /x/ jargon, these are science and math fundamentals.

How old are you?

>everything you know as truth was only a probability at that point.

This is arguable, but at least makes sense as a statement.

Don't forget that you said
>implying the beginning of the universe wasn't pure energy and infinite probabilities

And no, the universe was not 'infinite probabilities'. Things are not probabilities and probabilities are not things. Probabilities are abstract concepts of likeness.

Don't forget you are a moron for trying to fight this back so hard instead of just admitting that you fucked up on your wording and came out as an absolute popsci faggot.

>This is arguable
How?

As soon as you enter spacetime, probability is a thing. It is unavoidable.

>He's still saying probabilities are not things
This is an autist argument if I ever saw one, it's just circular reasoning and semantics. Probably a game you play often, but sorry, I'm not as autistic as you.
At the time of the big bang, the universe was only energy and probabilities.

Our society is tending to disorder at the moment with the rise of liberalism and the rising population.
If people were less individualistic (i.e. more cooperative) society would be my orderly because the correlation between each person's actions would be greater. In other words, everybody's actions would be more strongly linked.

I think that the existence of any laws of physics demonstrates some kind of inherent order, though whether the laws of physics will actually change randomly in the future is another question.

bigot

Take your incorrectness back to .

Disorder in thermodynamics specifically means the number of microstates available to a given macrostate.

In laymen's terms, it's the number of ways to organize the atoms (and their energy) in a given system.

As time goes on, the number of states increases as a whole.

At the beginning of the universe, there was only 1 macrostate with 1 microstate.

That's all this means

>I don't have an inkling of Theoretical Physics hence they are all idiots

Not him but what are your credentials? Do you even have the basic background to talk about these kinds of things?

Glad someone knows whats up and even knows terminology.

?

Shut the fuck up, Johann

>I'll say nothing of value but act superior

Fuck you, Vegeta.

The probability of atoms occupying the same area more than once decreases as the number of microstates increase. Since the universe is always expanding (i.e number of microstates increasing) disorder, aka entropy increases.

This post reminded me of a very cool article I read about almost a decade ago, but I can't find it for the life of me.
It had to do with increasing chaos on a macroscopic scale versus increase in order on a on a smaller scale (i.e. evolution and technology).

Dude this is nuts. "Probabilities" aren't concrete, physical objects that float around in space and you can view with a telescope is what he's trying to say dude

Was the big chaotic mess of the universe after the big bang, but before stars/planets/galaxies formed, more or less ordered than it's current state with plants and galaxies and stars?

Planets, stars, and galaxies are highly ordered objects/collections. Are we to assume that there was more order in the random distribution of atoms after the big bang than there is now?

>interpreting statements about physics poetically
Classic reactionary.

Even though we observe our part of the universe to be more ordered than it was in the past, the universe as a whole has become less ordered. There are more concentrated ordered parts but there's also much more empty space. And because chaotic virtual particles are born out of empty space, entropy must be increasing.

I always thought that they shouldnt teach it with the term "order". This seems pretty vague and misleading, since order in physics means pretty much the opposite of what people think of when they restore order in their rooms for example

Reactionary? I'm a leftie.

The universe tends to balance. Order descends into chaos and chaos in time turns to order. It is visible in nearly all things in this universe. A massive nebula becomes a star, that star explodes and ejects gases which become another nebula, rinse and repeat. I die, my body decays, my atoms return to the planet and are then reused in some other way. It is extremely possible that you are made of other dead people among many other things.

The universe is not static so taking about the entropy of the universe as a whole is gibberish.

>Doesn't it clearly tend towards order?
No. How? If I piss in the ocean, my piss wont magically sort itself together again in a piss bubble somewhere

Anyone?

>Are we to assume that there was more order in the random distribution of atoms after the big bang than there is now?
yes
see
"order" is a bit misleading and can be counterintuitive