Is the universe infinite?

Is the universe infinite?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Physics-Minutes-Giles-Sparrow/dp/1782066489
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

for all intensive purposes yes

Infinity is a value holding concept for the unknown magnitude. All we can say is, from our location, the observable universe is finite.

But I was watching the science channel and they said the universe would end.

At the moment Yes.

>infinite

What about casual, non intensive purposes?

See mine:

feels bad man

Guys, I realise that this isn't a thread for this, but seems like this is the only one being posted in at this time of day. SO I wanted to ask you if you have any good links to study physics from scratch and possibly all the way up to the current frontiers, which explains concepts rather than math?

I'm doing math on my own, but haven't yet started studying physics, and I would just like to familiarise myself with most concepts, until my math is strong enough to grapple with actual equations and shit.

>Physics without math.
Wat?

I meant concepts, I don't really need to know the math to understand how something works, at least at the most basic level. Just basic ideas that lie behind all the math.

Depending on your definition of infinite, probably

amazon.co.uk/Physics-Minutes-Giles-Sparrow/dp/1782066489

Good book for popsci, got it for my daughter.

If the universe is finite then what is outside the universe?

God?

Does it really matter if you're dead anyway?

Spiderman, can't disprove that, especially by your logic.

I thought it was unbounded, not infinite

Can god make a rock so heavy that he can't lift it?

god don't know nigga

At least in one dimension and one direction it is finite - the past.

Speaking of big bang - space and matter was supposedly finite back then. Seems very illogical to get infinity out of a finite amount of stuff in a finite amount of time. In what moment it became infinite?

Another thing - since the universe is expanding, it will be bigger tommorow, than it is today. How can it be more infinite?

Thanks!

most certainly not

We don't know, and cannot know.
Flat also doesn't necessarily imply infinite.

"Prove this physical space is infinite"
"Well from these axioms it would seem..."
"Prove your axioms are complete and valid"
"..."

Infinite vs finite is all feels. I choose to think the universe is probably, in some manner, finite because it intuitively feels correct based on what I know and the biases in the machinery of my mind. That is all, nothing more, nothing less, nothing grand, and no Truth.

The current model predicts that the universe is expanding and will slow down, but never quite stop, so that at infinity v = 0.

So, yes.