What is math?

What is math?

Also, what are the possible limitations of math?

I'm assuming that the answers to the first question will be something like "our representation of our innate understanding of spacetime." So, it seems to me like there is probably some pretty important shit we're missing. For instance, we assume that quantity exists-- but why? All quantification is rounding, all things are comprised of other things. The "things" we're differentiating and quantifying are not things at all, but compositions. tl;dr if there isn't really differentiation in nature, isn't our conception of mathematics basically flawed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo–Fraenkel_set_theory
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rules_of_inference
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mathematics is definitely not an understanding our space time. I have to ask, how much math do you actually know?

A lot of people think that's what math is.

Alright genius, if that's not what it is, what is it?

Math is the application of logic to certain axioms dealing with values

Logic being our innate understanding of spacetime

>Logic being our innate understanding of spacetime
No, not at all. Logic is the rigid application of rules, the rules dont have to based on anything real

Shut the fuck up. I wish there was a /phi/ board.

Why, math is Rap Music of course.

Practically everything in the observable universe can be reduced to rap.

stop the load of nonsense with the shitty attitude you fucking highschooler

math is symbolic manipulation that corresponds to rules that fit our "intuition". it's as vague as it sounds. the idea is that by using very basic assumptions and rules we can prove that many, many things are true.

You are being an ass. You don't have to know the answer to know something is wrong. I dont know what 32405239*429105 is off the top of my head but I know it isn't less than 32405239. You didn't answer my question; how much math do you know?

This is helpful

Right. This is what I'm looking for.

Basic assumptions like... numbers correspond to things that exist.

How can we assume that? How did we get there?

>numbers correspond to things that exist
how the FUCK is that an assumption? how much math do you actually know?

these are the (classical, usual) assumptions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo–Fraenkel_set_theory

these are the (classical, usual) rules
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rules_of_inference

I took calc in highschool and some bullshit in college

to elaborate, I think you're mixing up science and math

what science does is making brittle models that seem to correspond to reality as far as we can see. this means, in essence, that if they were wrong, we would quickly notice. once you got a model set up, you can assume it works and use mathematical tools on it

Math is a numerical method of modelling systems.

Math is limited by error.

You are on the path to being correct.

math and science are one singular entity.

rap music = math, so therefore rap music = science too.

it isn't hard, son.

It's extreme for me to say it's an assumption, but my point is that in order for quantities to exist, there has to be differentiation. How do we assume differentiation-- why can we assume differentiation? It's a tendency we have as humans, but we know that it's arbitrary. What do we experience that is a 1, what basis do we have for saying that anything is separate from anything else?

We percieve all sorts of different things that are simple to bundle together into conceptual units that are distinct from other conceptual units

I understand that science is imprecise and that math is limited by error. I'm asking-- what if our basis for quantification is false? I know it's unlikely based on our propensity for predictions.

Exactamundo

We conceptually bundle them together-- arbitrarily. If these arbitrary bundles are our basis for quantity, what does that mean? Doesn't that imply imprecision/flaw in the most basic math?

okay, to help you clarify what you're asking, you aren't asking anything about math, which is symbolic manipulation via inference rules, and you aren't asking anything about science, which is the making of mathematical models that seem to work

what you are asking about is philosophy, particularly epistemology, which asks about knowledge. whether it's arbitrary, whether there's any basis for believing the world "is" as it seems to us, etc, those all have pretty lengthy and complicated treatments. it's a very murky subject and you won't gain anything talking about it here except for idiots pretending to know about it after they skimmed wikipedia.

No, math is entirely made up. It is not in principle based in any way at all on reality. Math is what happens when you invent a bunch of rules and then follow them and see what happens

>math is made up

then how do space shuttles exist?

if math not real then who was phone?

biggie smals

"math isn't real"

-user 2016

Because certain kinds of math are very useful for modelling reality

yes, such as rap music .

All math is rap music

tru

do you even physics motherfucker?

fight me faggot shitposting highschooler

this dude gets it

I detect a rap battle brewing!

I'll fight you with my neutrinos.

I'll destroy you with my hot lyrics, bitch ass.

Don't worry they usually just pass on through.

You know its unlikely because we take a slow and methodical approach to falsification, which I can agree that our vetting system needs work. However, I think the way things are and continue to improve is good as well.

It seems like over human history, we either continue to improve or shake the system enough to see the flaws and correct. Unfortunately, a lot of our leadership is ignorant of history, which is making progress slow and more encumbered than it needs to be.

Did I mention my mixtape is made of dark matter?

shit son, a lot of material and no content

So is your skin, nig-nog.

I don't entirely get the rap shit going on here. Like, is it supposed to be funny or just an annoying kid shitposting?

lurk moar

>He doesn't know

Except for this is new shit someone is trying to force or I've avoided this meme for 6 fucking years.

>he thinks this is something new

Because it is.

lurk moar