Astronomy telescopes

Post the best telescopes in the market. (Post the sites that you can buy them). And,if you want,show a picture of your.

any dobsonian is the best telescope in the market

as you increase its size, it becomes better and better

aperture >>> all

any 12" dob will destroy even the most expensive non-dobsonian telescope, regardless of what it is

and a 16" or greater dob is god-tier, you will be worshiped

Following. I'm thinking about buying one, but have no idea whats what

So if I have an excellent view from my balcony, I can stare into far away apartments, yes?

8" reflector with an advanced VX mount.

Wouldn't focus be an issue?

swefag detected

uh oh

Hvor mye kostet dette deg? Liker du det?

I made a really good deal. I basically just paid for the mount and focuser and got the tube for free and I couldn't be more pleased. Can't wait to see the orion nebula. I've only seen it through a 5.1" reflector so I'm looking forward to autumn/winter.

Lucky bastard. Norwayfag here. Im thinking about getting a telescope myself soon, but have pretty much no clue whats what.

There isn't much to it. As it is with every new thing it seems overwhelming at first but then it turns out that it's very simple stuff. Take one step at a time.

Thanks for the advice. Any telescope you would recommend for a newbie?

I started out with a 130mm (5.1") reflector that came with an equatorial mount and I learned alot with it but if I could go back I would have bought a 200mm reflector on a dobsonian mount. Tracking your target would be a little harder but the bigger size of the optics will compensate for that. Bigger optics = sharper and brighter image. Really good if you wanna observe faint galaxies and nebulae.

Or maybe a 250mm (10") reflector on a dobsonian mount.

It's better to start big so that you don't get dissapointed. Reflectors are good because you get alot of optics for your money.

Thanks!

I'm probably gonna get myself a 16 inch reflector next year and I'm 100% sure that I will be blown away by the views but it's gonna be a pain in the ass to transport the thing. Bigger mirror = better image but then the size and weight start to become a problem.

It would be nice to have a small observatory so that you don't have to bother setting things up.

I'm much more into imaging than using an eyepiece, it's a much more expensive hobby but at the end of the day you get to see much more than you ever would with an eyepiece. Imaging is not the sort of thing you want to start out with but it is a lot of fun, the key part is having a good tracking equatorial mount. Even a cheap refractor or a camera lens can take very nice images, but a bad mount will make everything very hard.

My big scope is an 8 inch reflector with a nice wide flat field and a EQ6 mount. Excuse the crude guide telescope, it did work very well though. I've got a better guider now. It's really lovely for imaging.

One ting I would add:
A dob is certainly the best telescope starting out and for eyepiece viewing over all in my opinion but aperture is not everything. I have used 20 inch scopes in cities and 4 inch scopes in very dark sites and a relatively small scope in a dark site is better, you see much more. A big scope in a dark site is better still but if you don't live there and you can't transport a 14 inch dob, I wouldn't recommend buying one.

Do you know about the QHYCCD Polemaster? It makes polar aligning your mount a walk in the park and you get very precise alignment too. Combine that with your guider and you will get excellent results.

I've not heard of it before, looks interesting. It would certainly beat kneeling on the concrete. QHY stuff is pretty good, my guide camera is from them.

You can see one attached on my mount in

I wish I would live somewhere without much light pollution. I would get such a big guy and build a nice little spot for it in my garden.

Anyone else who has to prioritise mobility?

I believe most people have to prioritize mobility. Damn shame that dark sites are getting scarce.

This is what I got (pic not mine)

Been pretty happy with it, have been getting great shots of Saturn and Mars, saw the Sombrero Galaxy the other night which was pretty cool

I live in Tucson and moving my 10" is a pain. Not just carrying but transporting via car out into the desert where the sky looks good

Light is a social construct.

Lately used some pretty cheap binoculars (because car is broken) and was surprised how good this already is.
Especially nice for bigger star clusters and nebula.
Would actually recommend getting binoculars for people who are absolutely new to astronomy