HELP! My thesis is now being edited by a fucking idiot!

I have been busting my ass on my thesis, geology related. It has pasted my committee. Now the department head who is a soft geography science (don't ask me why or how he is in charge) is reviewing my thesis. I caught a mistake in a figure and emailed him the correct new image. He says he doesn't see the difference. He then procedes to email me the 1st half of my thesis. I am horrified. The bastard is resizing all the figures like an autist so there are no "white gaps". I need advice B. I need some advice on how to tell him he ruining my work and convince him to let me properly resize my images. Pic Related. Red is outline of the Ternary diagram I originally had in file with the approximate angles. Orange is what he has created.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/marcharper/python-ternary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why is he writing your thesis? tell him you'll resize them and make some changes and do it quickly

OP here. He has also resized some other figures and I have not seen the damage on my results or conclusions section but I am worried that all my photomicrographs with scale bars are gonna look like "Fun-house" mirrors.

Have you discussed this with your advisor?

you're going to have to suck the dick of whoever is in charge.

there's no point in arguing, just accept it, and take the blame when someone else asks why it was done that way.

nobody wants to be around someone who will throw someone else under the bus.

I had an advisor who was very critical of my setup. I argued with him for the entire meeting telling him his concerns were unfounded. I just gave up and let him have his way. Turns out I was right anyways.

He isn't writing it. He is inserting stupid shit like "Source: Created by author". Which if you don't cite other people you don't need to put it in. He should only be checking for grammar mistakes and making sure my pagination and table of contents is correct. Not fucking with the thesis figures.

Why the fuck do you have a blank Ter-

You know what, I don't even want to know, here

github.com/marcharper/python-ternary

You're both autistic for not using standard tools and trying to draw this in whatever the fuck you were.

I will tomorrow but my adivsor has thrown me under the bus before with this guy and he is out of town at the moment.
Well thats why I am asking for some advice. I feel like this thesis and my work within is my resume in a sense and this guy is already degrading it and making it look questionable. This guys ego is enormous so I was looking for diplomatic strategies.

>"Source: Created by author".

That is so fucking stupid. Jesus fucking christ that's grade-school tier retarded...

ahah I am not posting my real figure here. Red is the outline of mine, orange its current state. This is a side by side comparison with a ternary diagram that is composed of an equalateral triangle in the background. The image is just a quick demonstration of the change.

Your telling me! This dipshit even put it in my table of samples with depths and such. Like some asshole would abscond with my fucking samples, organize them publish the pertinent research and then I would plagerize from him later. Listen I just want to graduate with my work intact. any advice?

Be resolute, this is YOUR thesis, he has no real power over you just because he's your HOD.

Of course be curteous, tell him thank you and you will look at the changes he's made so he feels important, then make a few tactful improvements if you can and keep his retarded shit out of the latest version so he doesn't think you're just too lazy to change it. If he doesn't get the message then fight for it.

Also don't doubt yourself about the whitespace, a thesis is supposed to have some so people can make annotations. As long as it looks neat and consistent it doesn't matter.

I would have tried the "MY" Thesis earlier in my graduate career but 2 years ago he tried to blackmail me and force me out of the Department for going into the Dean's Office. I have since found out he has blackmailed several people in the department and has a secretary in the Dean's office that leaks him info. If I fight for the figure resizing changes he is making I think it might be better recieved if I pitch it as "it reflects the quality of the work from this department". Unfortunately every figure and table will end with the autistic "Source:" phrase. I think what hurts most is seeing that he resized figures to include that autistic phrase in the caption.

Time is an issue. This thesis has ballooned in the past 4 years and is 250+ pages and has over 100 figures, more than 40 of which have at least 2 fields of views. The department head is also leaving Next Friday, as am I for a wedding. So if I do get premission to edit some figures I will have to play triage nurse if turns into Pearl Harbor.

Shit sounds like a nutjob, it doesn't sound like you should risk. Listen user honestly don't worry too much about it you will have more opportunities to produce quality papers etc. People are mostly going to read the abstract of your thesis anyway and you could always give people the non-retarded versions.

Thanks for the comment user. I think I have lost perspective over the past 1 yr organizing, writing, and making figures from 6 different types of micropscopy. Here is a Figure you can cite: Machel, H.G.: “Investigations of Burial Diagenesis in Carbonate Hydrocarbon Reservoir Rocks,” Geoscience Canada 32, no. 3 (September 2005): 103–128.

kek

OP here with a question. Might it be wise to ask to see the results and discussion section and figures within before asking premission to rewrite?

* resize

I'd wait untill he mails it to you, it doesn't sound like he's done yet because I don't know why else he would send you only the first half. If you don't have it by Wednesday morning ask him to see it and if it isn't ready yet ask about resizing the figures.

Give him a fake apology about "being anxious" about your submission.

>being anxious
Nice angle.

I have to get this to the graduate school by Friday, I also need this cock-sucker's signature because budget cuts made him the graduate college reader. So I might push this question come Monday as he might be working on other peoples' thesis by then.

just tell him that you need to have the figures on separate pages for submission guidelines to X geo journal (you should be submitting your thesis for publication anyway if you aren't already). then use the actual figures he hasn't mangled.

definitely get your advisor involved, though. your advisor is a coauthor, right? remind him that his name is attached to your paper, and it'll be better for his career if it's a good paper and not a piece of shit.

They must do things differently in your field. I've never heard of a thesis being submitted to a journal. The idea of putting your advisor as a co-author also doesn't make sense to me.

my field is paleo
my MS thesis is going to have authorline:
>Me, Advisor, Undergrad who worked on the project before me and collected a decent chunk of the data.

and if you've got some interesting results, definitely get it published (with some edits for length and scope, obviously). I assume you're doing some geokem thing about the behavior of a certain mineral assemblage under various conditions? if you find something interesting, see if you can get published with it.

Not OP. I'm in Chemical Engineering.

I thought a thesis was required to only have one author in every discipline.

Advisers and undergrads get co-authorships on papers, but only one student per thesis.

>u need to have the figures on separate pages for submission guidelin
So my advisor is pushing me to publish my thesis as an open file report with the state geological survey.
I don't know I mean I already have all the figures and the HOD knows that or at least I think he does. Also the HOD is retiring in like 2 years. Seriously user I've discussed this with some of my friends at other schools and neither of them have heard fo a worse shit storm of conditions with a retard in power making decisions on shit he doesn't know, with absolutely no oversight or retribution from faculty.
Advisor isn't coauthor. He has plagerized from me before, but at the end of the day he is in my corner though not to the extent he should be. I give him a pass on the plagerism cause his parents died within 2 months of each other and I was able to slip the attached image into the poster for my own Lulz. It's childish but when ever I past this poster in the hall I chuckle. I do a free fucking 8x4' poster for my advisor when 4 months prior to the conference I told him I'd rather graduate than go. I'll try and get my advisor invovled I am worried this shit might backfire as in the HOD being all "WHY the fuck are you running and crying to your advisor? couldn't you face me like a man?!"

OP here its a diagenesis focused thesis, I mean the topic is really really fucking cool but, after all this shit it totally has not been worth it.

OP here. HOD finished edits and sent it to the graduate school I can see at least 4 figures have their captions cut off. He has moved the placement of figures around to minimize white space never mind some of them are in different sections than they are suppose to be! I am placing too much emphasis on organization here Sci?

Kek you cheeky cunt

Also
>Carbonate diagenesis

You dun goofed

I mean carbonate diagenesis is cool as hell but still.

What university are you at? I'm a geologist working in Canada.

I think I'd have an aneurysm if I was you right now 2bh

Look, I get that this thesis is your baby, but consider the following: a) you already passed committee so the material is obviously solid, b) he's the HOD and you know you're kicking a hornet's nest if you mess with him, and c) all it sounds like he's doing to me is resizing stuff and adding silly captions.

Ask yourself honestly, is anything he's doing *really* that big of a deal? You said you just want to graduate above anything else so why not grin and bear it?

The best approach is to mostly ignore him, and make a few cursory changes to satisfy him if necessary. He's an idiot and you should spend as little effort as possible on him.

>? I'm a geologist
OP here not in Canada.
>carbonate diagenesis.
Careful about assumptions. There is some carbonate diagenesis but when calcite replaces quartz shit gets interesting. Force of crystallization is some pretty cool shit.

Weird af, but not really a problem since literally no one but your mother and your advisor are the only people who will ever read the thing. I do hope you have the copyright of the thing, so you can post the non-improved version on your website or sth.

Tell him quite bluntly that his improvements are unwanted, and that you'll be reverting them while selectively merging in only valid grammatical, spelling, and syntax changes.

If he refuses I suppose your only choice is to verbally, and physically, assault him in the parking lot. Make sure to damage his vehicle afterwards as well, in case he hasn't properly gotten the message.

bahahah I would throw hydrofluoric acid on this fucker if would'nt be traced to me. My advisor has told me "He is the most heartless, arrogant, idiotic but ambitious piece of shit I have ever encountered in my 30 professional years in academia and the oil field."

I think I inadvertently passed the test for that hereditary predisposition for them.
Yeah the thesis content is solid I think that is one of the reasons why I am cringing so hard at the edits this dude is doing. For example, I originally wasy writing the following: "calcite replacing quartz grains and overgrowths (Figures 3.1A&B)". He is changing it to "(Figures 3.1A/B)". I have never seen a "/" used in a paper besides "and/or" and its shit like this that I fear will conduse the reader. I have already made a list of 26 of his fuck ups about 10 of them are serious like changes in spacing over a whole paragraph. I want to graduate but I feel like my diploma is being down graded to a masters-GRE.
I mean I can live with the truely retarted "Source: Created by Author" and the fucking arbitrary Geographer citatiion but this fucker has distorted 1 photomicrograph (which I am fucking lucky it is only 1!) and fucked up a few other things to the point that if I do publish this thesis I wouldn't want to cite my thesis.
aahaha thats what this ucker said to me. "No one but you and your mom cares" I can assure you that the state geologic survey is very interested and my preliminary work in a poster was cited by one of them.

God damn I am new fagging this up.
>I think I inadvertently passed the test for the hereditary predisposition for them.
was meant for you.
>aahaha thats what this ucker said to me. "No one but you and your mom cares" I can assure you that the state geologic survey is very interested and my preliminary work in a poster was cited by one of them.
was meant for you. But I get it. get over yourself, no own gives a shit about your "master's laurels"

>Source: Created by Author
probably the most retarded thing in all of this
the whole point of citations is to label what is NOT original work, and everything that isn't cited is assumed to be original.

Wow, that's really impressive. Kinda weird though, that they wouldn't just read the papers instead. And even then you can just put the proper version on your website, ya silly cunt.

see
and

Preeching the choir user.
> Source: Posted by Anonymous (2016)

Well the guy who cited my poster who has been with the survey a while was citing some of my results (quartz replacement by calcite). He wasn't citing papers that explain the phenomenon that I have come across. As for a website this might be the only reason so sign up for research gate or whatever. I generally eschew from personal websites and LinkdIn self-promo bullshit.

OP here. The damage is extensive. At least 16 figures with photomicrographs with multiple fields of view now have incorrect and distorted images and scale bars. 6 figures in the main body of text are in the incorrect subsections making the table of contents seem more like a suggestion than its actual fucking purpose. And now I have to convince this asshole today to let me make changes. If I don't give an update it means he allowed me to attempt to fix his major fuckups. Hopefully I can make this shit he has turned my thesis into palatable.

hey OP

no one will ever fucking care about your thesis

i mean, i totally get it, it's everything you worked on for the past however the fuck many years (six by the sounds of it? 7?), it's your baby, you hate to see it mangled

but the thesis itself, at the end of the day, is going to end up on a shelf and no one will ever look at it. Nobody cites theses, nobody except your committee reads theses, and you'll probably never want to look at it again after this.

what really matters is the publications you end up getting out of this, and the journal or wherever you publish is going to have its own style and citation guidelines that throw out these fucking stupid changes that are being made. let him make his stupid changes, keep all your original figures, keep a secret copy of the document that has the original figures and captions and sane citations, and when it comes time to actually submit it anywhere, use the good version.

also what the fuck is with your department that he actually has power over your thesis

the only people who get to decide whether you continue in the program should be your committee by a majority decision. if the head of department isn't on your committee he can fuck right off

after taking another look at the thread i see where you said you were planning on publishing the thesis directly with a government agency

but guess what? your HOD will have absolutely nothing to do with that process! nothing about the publication process requires you to involve the head of the department. the only people who matter are the editor, the authors listed on the paper, and whoever is asked to review it.

like i said, keep a secret copy of the document that doesn't have his stupid fucking changes, and then submit that copy for publication.

and IMAGINE what a great fuck-you that would be to him once you've graduated and your thesis is published and it has NONE of his edits

Don't be a goddamn pussy. Get into his face and explain the difference between what tou want and what he wants and their possible effects. It's YOUR work. Its piblication reflects on the department and associated professors. If necessary, talk to them about getting a new editor.

Wait...you're writing a thesis without a style guide?

Nigger style guide is life, style guide is love.

But seriously, I've never heard of any real school that didn't adhere to some style guide in shit like this to prevent precisely this kind of bullshit.

You greatly undervalue theses

I cite theses fairly frequently in my journal publications.