Any recommendations for books?

I want to get a headstart for university this summer, do any of you have any advice on books for calculus and other stuff which goes up to third year?

Don't be afraid to link me to books which require high standards, I've already done a lot of calculus in school (I, II, III) and want to go to the next level.

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Spivak

I always recommend james stewart, most of theorems are proven and take you to the next level, exercises have a varying level of difficulty too, for other subjects that involve calculus like numerical analysis i recommend dennis zill

Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Rudin and Linear Algebra Done Right, Axler.

How's that linear algebra book compared to strang?

Much greater focus on proofs and theory, also denser.
Both are fine, but I like how Axler gets to the point faster and wastes less time on motivation or examples.

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics

bump

Don't listen to this cuck; Linear Algebra Done Right is an Abstract Algebra approach to linear algebra which is only intelligible if you have prior background in Abstract Algebra. Get Hoffman & Kunze's "Linear Algebra" which is at it's heart and soul Linear Algebra.

Is this true? I just downloaded linear algebra done right and I haven't taken anything beyond calc 2

Go to your school's website and pull down syllabi (or to your friends, my school stopped publishing them which makes me want to punch someone) and figure out which textbook they use for the courses. Most won't suck and you'll be able to ask others for help or even possible get credit by examination.

Both Linear Algebra Done Right & Hoffman Kunze's "Linear Algebra" are upper division texts so the abstraction level might be a little much if it's a first time through. If you're looking to get into Algebra "A book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter is an excellent source. If you're looking to get into Real Analysis I recommend starting with Spivak's "Calculus" and the Schaum's Outline to Advanced Calculus. Linear Algebra without seeing Abstract Algebra first turns into matrix manipulations that seem to be meaningless.

Just download the whole Undergraduate Math Textbooks for UC Berkeley thing from thepiratebay

Step 1: Stop not knowing Calculus. Step 2: Know Calculus.

Look up and do lots of practice problems. Find exams online from other universities. Sometimes you don't even need the solutions. You can just check with a calculator or Google for answers.

Check this fuckin shit out Veeky Forums

I just got this final grade minutes ago for my summer class, I feel over the fucking moon. What's more is that I got this all on my own, no jerkoff tutors or anything.

Just two years ago I was a bumbling idiot who could barely pass AFM.

>high standards
>calc 3

What did he mean by this?

Good for you man keep it up and keep working! You really never need tutors with hard work. You clearly have that initiative. Best of luck with the rest of your schooling.

Congrats!

congrats! don't let it slip! went from borderline 1/2.1 to a 2.2 by not focusing on exam preparation properly (i.e., making excuses). Will have pull it back in time.

try the Thomas calculus book, it's pretty basic.

I was going to be a dick because of attention whoring, but good job, man. I am glad you are getting better.

Highly recommended. I'm serious.

>Highly recommended. I'm serious.
Faggot confirmed.

The english version reads from left to right like we are some kind of fucking idiot.

MANGA IS READ FROM RIGHT TO LEFT YOU SUBHUMAN.

I forced myself to read a couple of chapters and it is okay but unless you can find a translated version of the japanese version then fucking don't, you are going to want to kill yourself after just 1 minute of reading because of how weird it is to read manga like it was a shitty european comic book.