Milk - Bad for bones?

So like many others I grew up believing pic related. However a friend who's going through a bit of a health-food conscious phase (organic, raw) tells me otherwise, that milk depletes calcium from bones. And there's a couple of website supporting this claim. The problem is, they have the feel of Naturalnews.com and similar sites. Here's one of the main sites pushing this new way of thinking.

saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Any biologists in the house? This is nu-age bunk right?

Other urls found in this thread:

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/3/681.abstract
scientificamerican.com/article/is-milk-bad-for-your-bones/
jn.nutrition.org/content/127/9/1782.abstract
pcrm.org/health/health-topics/calcium-and-strong-bones
bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/
youtu.be/hzyFZcuHmeI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everything that isnt organic bio glutenfree fairtrade non-gmo vegan food is bad for your health maaaan. Like seriously, I cant even. Wake up, xir

>This is nu-age bunk right?
you only need to take one look at the url to answer that question

-Cow's milk is for calves not humans.
-Human breast milk is for infants and children under 5 years of age.

If you are an adult who consumes milk products, you are fucking stupid.

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/3/681.abstract
jn.nutrition.org/content/127/9/1782.abstract

People are just doing bad science. You cannot necessarily say milk is extremely helpful (there are better ways to help your bones), but it isn't bad for them.

This was my first thought. I found this one too

pcrm.org/health/health-topics/calcium-and-strong-bones

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. Sounds a bit more legit right? Wrong.

>The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a non-profit research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., which promotes a vegan plant-based diet, preventive medicine, alternatives to animal research, and encourages what it describes as "higher standards of ethics and effectiveness in research."[1] Its primary activities include outreach and education about nutrition and compassionate choices to healthcare professionals and the public; ending the use of animals in medical school curricula; and advocating for legislative changes on the local and national levels.

Here's a bit about where the claim seems to have originated.

and the study that seems to have set them all off.

bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

Sufficient calcium and vitamin D are from childhood are viral for reducing osteoporosis rate in adulthood. Milk is just the best way to get calcium, but it's not the only way.
Also, I recommend only reading actual peer-reviewed paper and not those junk news sites.

Hell if it is net neutral I'm counting this as a win.

It is bullshit, most people don't have chronic acidosis.

To my understanding, milk is just easy nutrients at young age.

Like supplements and anything really, it's only good for you if you are deficient in something.

not sure why people think food and shit is magic.
>eat more walnuts
>make me smart
No, it'll just rejuvenate whatever you are lacking

>rejuvenate
Eh, wrong word choice, my bad

>alternative health communities

I found the problem.

-Avocados are for dinosaurs, not humans

If you are a human who consumes avodadoc, you are fucking stupid.

milk doesn't contribute for much, but displacing it for say sugared water could make deficiencies. Bone density is also a function of (not) lifting/getting stimulus

>is for
What do you mean? Is god angry if I misuse his great designs?

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

It's not nu-age bunk

Your mum's milk was good for my bone (singular).
(as in only one bone)
(a specific bone)
(an organ that doesn't actually contain a bone, but rather, undergoes a process whereby three tubes composed of sponge like tissue engorge with blood, mimicking the rigid nature of an actual bone)
(my penis remained erect from your mother's milk, if you catch my drift)

Everything that isnt organic bio glutenfree fairtrade non-gmo vegan food is bad for your health maaaan. Like seriously, I cant even. Wake up, xir
>Wake up, xir
lol'd

>scientificamerican.com/article/is-milk-bad-for-your-bones/
Did you even read your own link you humongous retard? Kill yourself now.

*it is nu-age bunk
it's debated how much milk helps, calcium-wise, but milk does NOT pull calcium out of your bones
fucksake, read your own link.

Woops I didn't mean for that green text to be there.

I don't follow

vegans are liberals
ergo chronic liars

Vegans are shitty people who are still better than you.

Vegans are social constructs.

get back to your village, Tribesman

> pol meme
fuck off back to your liberal terrorist supporting shithole

Humans have been drinking and using cows milk for five thousand years.
I'm gonna have to conclude it's probably fine for human consumption.

Back in the day i can remember a chemist teacher (who looked like shit, he could barely walk because of pains, was fat and heavy breather... and not even 50) told us that he was at the doctor and the doc explained to him he has really thick bones because he drinks at least one big glas of milk every day - had to with some surgeryproblem or similar shit.

So... if you believe a fucked up chemist teacher's doctor milk actually does help your bones grow, but too much is also not good for you.

>best story ever

Humans have been dying for millions of years, ill have to conclude it's good for humans.

Probably is.
Otherwise we'd be stuck with useless, senile, skinbags forever.

i had a chemistry teacher who thought flouride was bad for your teeth and tried to convert students to her cause

but in my class she tried to argue with the son of an orthodontist and got blown the fuck out

fluoride IS bad for your teeth
and your bones
and your brain
What does an orthodontist know about health? Dentistry is a purely cosmetic profession

what plant or animal is specifically for humans?
tell me please ?

wheat ==> just to grow new wheat
tofu ==> just beans who want to reproduce

not a single species int our universe is specialty food for another species

>Milk is just the best way to get calcium
Actually I would hazard that a better way might be powdered eggshell.

Alternatively I'm sure there's ways of getting calcium from, say, chicken bones or whatever.
Maybe have them in some hot water with some vinegar?

haha look on other things the pcrm says
>eggs cause a 68% higher chance of diabetes
>eat vegan its your only hope

the shit animal products are the only food source wich isnĀ“t metabolized to Sugar somehow in your body

that would make Calciumlactate i think the body could use this but im not sure

Milk is good for you if you can tolerate it. it's just not a miracle meme food.

>Calciumlactate
Vinegar != lactic acid friend.

Apparently it makes calcium acetate

eh i meant calciumacetate but autocorrection

Mm, well at any rate drinking milk for calcium is a meme. We regularly throw away foodstuff which is like 30%+ calcium, no need for milk at all in terms of calcium, and certainly no need to eat 40lb of broccoli either day either.

>don't drink milk goy just eat fucking animal bones

>hmm there's this object with like 100g of calcium I already have and am going to just throw out. Oh I know I'll go buy some milk to get my calcium instead.
Just seems stupid to me is all. Calcium extracted from bones should be relatively flavourless.

youtu.be/hzyFZcuHmeI

what does milk you buy in a store even have to do with a calbs milk anymore?
I love cheap milk and I don't think it would be good for infants

Most of the milk hate traces back to propaganda from vegan groups or Willett/Hu/Harvard's nutrition department who are deluded enough to think that anything derived from a cow is environmentally bankrupt. The former prefers to use disproven junk science (acid-ash hypothesis, toxic hormones) while the latter resorts to sketchy closed datasets (usually Nurses or Physician's Health) that are almost certainly p-hacked into oblivion as you'll never see a publication that doesn't agree with Willettsonian beliefs. Both enjoy cherry picking weak observational cohorts and ecological correlations and ignoring other experimental modalities (animal models, interventional trials, mechanistic studies, etc)

Oh, and don't forget the massive worldwide conspiracy theories that Big Dairy is paying off multiple independent health organizations to lie. The tinfoil they found is definitely ample evidence for that.

I hope you are posting this ironically

Luckily, infants don't drink actual milk unless their parents are idiots. Formula is derived from milk, but it's basically the same comparison as a dildo and a real dick.

Nice bait. Almost bit there... Ooooh snap! I DID bite! Shit, you got me!

/thread

You turn that way because of aging. If you don't age, you don't turn into useless, senile skinbag.

Dont trust a research you didn't fake yourself

>a friend who's going through a bit of a health-food conscious phase (organic, raw)

you mean a moron?

If a species doesn't age it also doesn't reproduce, and evolution wouldn't happen at all.

You're not a machine? You sound like one.

If you don't want to survive you don't deserve to exist.

>bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

Not bad, pretty crap sample groups and bizarre quantities of milk drank (>600ml/day).

Some reasonable conclusions drawn; milk is specifically to aid the development of the newborn mammal and stands to reason consumption may be linked to certain growth factors in humans. These in turn have some pretty strong correlations with the inflammatory mess of CVD.

Meh, not going to stop eating cheese over this research.

Also:
>not observed with high intake of fermented milk products

Great argument.
You really convinced me.

Short answer: no
Long answer:
Vegans are morons. Don't trust their lies.

>Not bad

Cross-sectional self-reported dietary intake from 10+ years prior? The milk-drinking women claim they managed on 1400 kcal/day, yet have BMI >24? Data recorded from a time in Sweden where milk was fortified with high levels of vitamin A (which increases risk of fracture and mortality)? Citing models where absurd HEDs of galactose are injected into mice, ignoring ones where protective effects are seen when it is administered orally? Poorly/not adjusted for the type of physical activity, alcohol, high SFA/low PUFA intake, low magnesium intake, and other confounding lifestyle factors? Discordance with a lot of better studies on the topic? Pretty much every non-clown in the field has shitted on this study. Unsurprisingly the only people obsessed with it are paleo/vegan fad diet bloggers hopelessly searching for dirt to demonize dairy

>milk is specifically to aid the development of the newborn mammal and stands to reason consumption may be linked to certain growth factors in humans. These in turn have some pretty strong correlations with the inflammatory mess of CVD.

The only 'growth factors' relevant to milk consumption, insulin and IGF-1 (which can be similarly increased by any other non-dairy source of sufficiently high quality protein), are anti-inflammatory and have protective effects against atherosclerotic lesion development in animal models. Interventional trials have demonstrated anti-inflammatory effects in humans free of lactose intolerance or allergies/autoimmune conditions against milk.

My mommy brought grilled cheese sandwiches made just for me this morning.

Except GMOs

>The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a non-profit research and advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., which promotes a vegan plant-based diet, ...

See, there's your problem. It's a nonprofit research organization with a political agenda, meaning that the only way they can continue to receive funding is by publishing results that support that agenda while suppressing their results that don't. The people in charge of the organization do it for their agenda, and the researchers do it to stay employed.

Also, for all the charts and figures published with the study, none of it records any measure of occupational risks, body types, or even the age distribution of the participants' results. I mean, older people tend to have weaker bones, resulting in more fractures. Older people also tend to have a higher milk intake. This means that the study is recording milk-drinkers breaking bones, while the reality could be the not-so-surprising result that it's old people who are getting broken bones. Now, I'm not saying that the result is totally wrong. I'm saying that further research is needed before you can draw any conclusions.

Though I will say that countless other studies do draw out conclusions that are contrary to this particular study's results ...

Obviously the people who think walnuts make them smarter are the people who are lacking

You just pretty much proved that guy's point.

Meat is for lions n sht
If you are an adult who consumes meat products you are fucking stupid