Do you fear automatization?

Do you fear automatization?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tbWHt2VjQ7s
oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/the-risk-of-automation-for-jobs-in-oecd-countries_5jlz9h56dvq7-en
forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/07/06/what-saved-hostess-and-twinkies-automation-and-firing-95-of-the-union-workforce/#64781c4c6ddb
basicincome2016.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Its just a continuation of the mechanization that's been happening for hundreds of years.

automation/"robots taking jobs" is literally the best thing that can happen to humanity

the sooner all these trivial tasks are automated the better

all progress is caused by increasing worker productivity
aka
automation

not really

This.

I work as a construction electrician. Automotization has greatly helped my trade as a whole. I would hate to be an electrical worker of days' past:

>no electric drills; have to use crank drills and hand reamers
>no band saws; have to saw conduit by hand using a hacksaw
>no power threaders; have to thread all sizes of rigid pipe by hand
>no hammer drills; have to use a star bit and hammer

Power tools save me so much time and pain on a daily basis. And I don't even want to think about having to work without scissor lifts and test instruments.

as somebody in med school who still has around 10 years until I'm an attending, yes.

The only people who should fear automatization are africans and south-east asians.

What does this graph mean?

youtube.com/watch?v=tbWHt2VjQ7s
oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/the-risk-of-automation-for-jobs-in-oecd-countries_5jlz9h56dvq7-en

Until a machine can do materials chemistry research and development I'm not too worried

Same same.

power tools aint' really automation

I fear automization given that capitalism continues on the way it does. Otherwise, if the bulk of people can actually profit from it and use it to gain more free time, awesome.

I don't really see how capitalism could exist with alla manual works bein done by machine

A robot tool will save you so much time and pain by just replacing you entirely one day.

>Automatization
I fear what Americans do next to the english language.

if done right, it can reduce world's population a lot, while making the automated services a lot better (e.g.: fast food made by machines instead of being made by angry stupid teens that need to pay for college)

forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/07/06/what-saved-hostess-and-twinkies-automation-and-firing-95-of-the-union-workforce/#64781c4c6ddb

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

>I don't really see how capitalism could exist with alla manual works bein done by machine
It really can't. If no systemic changes are instituted, it will simply collapse. The people who run it today will never allow this to happen.

I have enough money to ride-out the automation wave.
Some people will drown though, which sucks because everything should be great right afterwards.

As long as the automation brings down cost-of-living, so people have to work fewer hours to get by, then any job loss will be completely manageable.
Whether or not that actually happens is the question.

Automation should lead to a higher standard of living for a given population, but instead it just leads to severe discrepancies in ecological affordance (ie "wealth"), where a progressively larger segment of the population begins to become an underclass.

I don't really care. The human species is gutter trash that can't handle doing much of anything anyway. Par for the course. The best thing would be all of us just dying.

It's the sacrifice they/we must make for the betterment of future generations.

Ha who am I kidding. What am I, a member of the greatest generation to care what happens after I die? Fuck no. I'm a member of the worst generation. Pour on the prescription meds! Fuck all y'all stupid babies hahaha.

Nope, because installing automation, designing systems, and fixing systems I'd how I make my money.

One theory is that since most of the manual work will be taken care of, eventually the cost of living will hover around zero. The basic necessities of life will essentially become free.

I fear things not becoming automated soon enough. I mean for pete's sake I have to tell someone something I want to eat at a restaurant and then human hands are going to touch my precious fucking meal.

Hahaha, no. It's almost impossible for that to be any more wrong.

>The best thing would be all of us just dying.
I can't help but to agree with this, as stark as it sounds. There are way way too many of us. And there is absolutely no reason for it.

Enlighten us.

I'm not sure what would lead you to believe any of that. Look how our species already works. You don't give away your resources for nothing. Ever. Under any context.

Never. This is throwing away your power.

McDonald's is threatening to lead the charge on that one. If Hillary wins, what with the Dems' platform for a national $15 minimum wage, they will probably pull the trigger. They could do it right now, they just fear the fallout from laying off so many workers. But in such a situation they could claim their hand was forced.

I said it's a theory. I didn't put it forward.

Businesses will magically become charities?
Lowering costs of production generally has one of three effects
> business enjoys higher profit margin leaving price the same
> business lowers price expecting to make more via volume
> if demand is inelastic enough, business increases price and enjoys much higher margins

Also, do you think highly automated factories run on happy thoughts alone? Raw materials are needed. Power is needed, people to keep shit running is needed, distribution and marketing are needed, etc etc etc

The negative PR would absolutely destroy them, and they know it. Anything else is an obvious bluff.

Cutting costs is irrelevant if your revenue stream collapses. They still have a service to sell.

Nah what would destroy them is their franchise owners getting shafted, but it might honestly be less of a shafting then higher minimum wage

McDonalds won't lose all that much revenue over firing all the shitty cashiers that most people don't even like in the first place. Americans won't give up their easy cheap garbage.

Homie their margins are paper thin. It'll be franchise owners who take the worst of it, but the backlash will hurt a lot.

Well, the theory isn't that everything will be literally free, just so dirt cheap as to be free for all practical purposes. Yes, there will obviously still be many factors that will contribute to the price of goods and services, energy and raw materials chief among them. The idea though, is that the cost of living has been steadily declining since the start of the industrial revolution. Even as the income gap is much wider today than half a century ago, this has less of a negative impact than it might have had otherwise.

Stop using the word theory. It's an idea, and a stupid one.

Let's play a game: Zeiss's lens factories are almost as close to 100% automated as is possible. How much is their Otus 85mm?

F-Free, r-right?
I-Isn't that why they did it?
W-Why wouldn't it b-be?

You know it astounds me that people still don't understand that the cost of producing something has literally nothing to do with the price.

Cost is merely a determining factor in if a product or service is brought to market.

i think you forgot east asians and south asians, where most of our shit is made.

i don't because i think that the end of capitalism is going to be a riot

I agree with you, except for the part where capitalism isn't ending and the wealthy will own all the automation so it will actually kind of suck.

Automatization in combination with AI will make us all jobless

The question is: what will we do?

Work for free to have an occupation?

Free basic income like switzerland had an votation not long ago?

basicincome2016.org

I dont know when it will come, but it is sure that almost everyone of us or our children will be in an completely automatizated world

>margins are paper thin
Really? I heard that their profit was starting to dwindle, but arent you exaggerating?

Nope, margins are different from profit.

Margin (in this case) is how much you make per unit. On most products, they don't even make a full dime of profit with some as low as just a single cent, but so long as they maintain high volume, they make their money.

Over here the state organizes courses to teach new skills, for free, I would imagine that those kind of courses would increase, so you either decide to be a useless piece of shit or actually contribute by studying for the kind of stuff that computers are not able to do. (yet)

Thanks for the clarification, it still begs the question of why is that? their prices are too low?

It's been their business model forever, but aside from that they're basically a textbook example of how economies of scale work.