Liking the IDEA of knowing science and mathematics

>liking the IDEA of knowing science and mathematics

How do I move my mindset to wanting/actively seeking to know science and mathematics? Do you guys really know what I mean? I like the IDEA of learning all of it, but when I open a book, I don't last more than 15 minutes, yet I know it's important to know this and I have this pseudo-wanting to know it because of how smart it all is. I feel like it's because I'm not in university and I feel like it's pointless for me to learn it because it won't be "counted" on a degree. Does anyone else feel this?

Really, it seems like there is some mode you just need to be in to be inherently interested in it enough to read about it that I don't have right now not being in university.

Other urls found in this thread:

ocw.mit.edu/courses/
youtube.com/watch?v=4zZbX_9ru9U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just want to be one of those guys. Scientists and engineers just seem like the smartest people to me. They have all of these answers, know how to solve all of these problems, and I want to be that. Maybe that's partially the reason?

Doing some type of online/home schooling course helps as you have set targets and deadlines instead of picking up a book and reading when you 'feel' like it.

Watch lectures online.

ocw.mit.edu/courses/

do something that needs it

probably the best advice you'll ever get for being able to keep going on with something. if you do something with a reason or a set goal at the end, it becomes very obvious to why you're learning. If you were learning mechanical and electrical engineering because you wanted to design a power suit, or if you were learning mathematics and computer science to help create advanced artificial intelligence, then that would be a reason that you could just go back to every time you wonder why you're learning. Really, people don't learn this stuff just for shits and giggles. That's like, literal autist-tier. Just have a goal in mind to why you want to learn this stuff instead of just liking the idea of knowing it to sound smart, you know?

Life isn't hard in 2016 if you're in a first world country. You just need the right guidance and the right mindset to put you on the right path to reaching your goals. Goals are really important. You won't see very many successful people who never had goals.

Elon Musk had goals. He read science fiction as a child and asked a lot of questions. He went to university for physics and economic; Physics so that he could understand the physical world we live in, and economics so that he could understand our society and how it works. He used the knowledge to form these companies and understand what he needed to work with renewable energy, electric vehicles, and space exploration. Without that knowledge, those two bachelors degrees, he would have been at a huge disadvantage and probably would not have gotten very far. He was very lucky, mind you, and comparing yourself to someone like Elon Musk or Richard Feynman will not get you very far.

He had goals and he tackled them how he thought he had to so he could reach them. Do likewise and you'll do something that matters, at least to you, but if you're lucky, to other people as well.

>so that he could understand the physical world we live in
>so that he could understand our society and how it works.
you've got the right idea, but these are shit goals, just semantic transformations of "i want to know x"
the goal is not to know something, it is to do something
so if you want to know science and mathematics jsut to look cool or something, give up
just live your life until you are about to turn some problem over to the professionals, or "just buy a new one", and then pause and figure out fix to do it yourself instead

>you've got the right idea, but these are shit goals, just semantic transformations of "i want to know x"

Well, that's what he has said, but it was obviously so that he could understand these things that he wanted to work on and start companies so, in his words, he didn't have to be pushed around by business people.

So, it was all for a reason, not just a total "this is really cool, I want to be like the smart guys too"

>just live your life until you are about to turn some problem over to the professionals, or "just buy a new one", and then pause and figure out fix to do it yourself instead

please explain

solve problems as they become important to you, he means. don't just do shit to look cool etc. because it's not you etc.

this
you can fake image, but you can't fake motivation because image is what you present to others, but motivation is only presented to yourself

>you've got the right idea, but these are shit goals, just semantic transformations of "i want to know x"
the goal is not to know something, it is to do something
did you even read what he posted? he's saying that musk learned this shit because he had the goals of using it to go into space exploration and shit like that. OP just wants to do it to look smart or whatever.
this. this is basically the "just b urself" thing that everyone spews is a meme. this is what it is. people make life way harder than it has to be

>So, it was all for a reason, not just a total "this is really cool, I want to be like the smart guys too"

what your end goal user? Mine was to data mine Racing Post (horse racing, grandpa tips) with a doctorate level maths background and / or invent a electromagnetic levitation device that would revolutionize space travel.

The former is still on going.

I'm OP. I'm literally talking to myself via replying to my own posts just to help me think.
>I don't know if anyone else does this, I have aspergers so it's me being autistic

I have this feel. I have come to the conclusion that because I haven't started on that path as a young 'un, as most professional scientists have, there is now not enough time left in my life to do anything in this area.

I do this internally, sometimes. I also used to arrange objects in specific ways and leave them there so I could control my state by proxy. This included attaching irrelevant images to posts. I found a tree stump and thought it looked like it was thinking, so I didn;t burn it and put it in the corner instead. It remains there 5 years later. It's still thinking.

Don't frame things as though "maybe I do x because I'm fucked up or mechanically faulty". Though for what it's worth, I eventually abandoned many of the mental tools I mentioned.

you need something to push you
choose it as your major. that works.

I like the idea of being a film director; I don't like the idea of dealing with pretentious actors and apathetic movie studios all day. You have to accept the realities of whatever endeavor you're considering. Is it possible that you're looking at the wrong book or mode of learning, or do you just not like what math and science actually are? I don't give a fuck, but figure it out for yourself.

>How do I move my mindset
Begin by ceasing to use psychobabble phrases like "move my mindset", and expressing yourself with precision.

Ignore this poster when it comes to internal uses, as long as you have at least a vague conscious idea of what you want to happen.

The phrases and linguistic triggers you use are yours, they are not meant to be generalized, and they are not meant for communication. They're a component of a greater logical framework, or subsystem, and need to stay that way to be streamlined to work and work efficiently. I've selectively embedded key linguistic triggers around my psyche, in the past, and they do work. If you don't need them any longer, they can be abandoned.

The moment you bring theory of mind into the matter and start trying to control for context, different levels of knowledge, different perspectives, it clutters everything all up and dilutes the core functionality you're actually addressing. If to you, you've reasoned that it truly is "moving your mindset" something spatial or whatever it might be, then use it.

>at least a vague conscious idea
>at least
fgt pls

The subconscious, or whatever, parts of the brain already know what to do. They're already capable of the specifics. All the conscious mind needs is the correct signalling, even if it incorrectly views what it's actually sending and why.

Don't really need fine, low level awareness. Though it can help.

>subconscious, or whatever
>whatever
Can you be more vague?

Yes, I could actually. You're not getting the point here. A rigid and highly elaborated mechanistic approach to describing what you want to happen, and the means by which it can happen, is not only superfluous, it's outright harmful.

Again, the brain -already- understands, even if what you have conscious access to doesn't. You don't need that kind of detail overhead, and having it just risks being wrong and trying to force the hardware to do something it's complete shit at because it isn't actually understood enough how the black box works.

Take deliberate memory sorting, and deletion. 10 years ago I was telling people this is not only possible, but easy. They said it was bullshit, that doesn't make sense, "the science disagrees", whatever other nonsense. Now here we are, and of course the mechanics behind what I experienced as true are being unraveled. Same with stripping associative links and active mechanisms to suppress memory access. Etc.

The point is, you likely don't know shit about metacognition, or the brain itself. You've never done it, and you've sure as hell never gotten results. Fuck off and learn something.

Let the prophet FineMan inspire you: youtube.com/watch?v=4zZbX_9ru9U