Analysis pdfs

I'm looking for a good set of lecture notes or just notes in general for undergrad real analysis. I'm self-studying out of Rudin and I'd like to supplement my learning. The ones I've seen on google are either 1) shit or 2) grad level. Any recs?

Other urls found in this thread:

www-math.mit.edu/~helgason/rudin_supp_notes.pdf
math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/ug.hndts/m104_Rudin_exs.pdf
math.ucdavis.edu/~emsilvia/math127/math127.html
amazon.com/Companion-Analysis-Graduate-Studies-Mathematics/dp/0821834479
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just grab tao's book (spells out details) and pugh's book (difficulty of problems unbounded)

This is the correct advice.

Does anyone have links to downloads of these then? Oh idk if this is the case with these but I really wanted something that develops basic topology early on like Rudin does

get stephen abbott's real analysis book
self-studying out of baby rudin isn't going to be very fruitful

Libgen.io

Pugh does that.
I also supplemented my analysis with Munkre's Topology book.

My self studies are going alright so far. This is just prep for a course in the fall anyways

nothing else to say, this is on point

so far means the first one or two chapters? it's not going to end well. really, rudin is a pedagogical nightmare. it's good to review when you already know it though and has nice exercises

I think I downloaded Pugh on my iPad but it wasn't the proper file type and I can't open it. Any tips?

It's probably a .dvju file. You should be able to find apps which can read that format without issue.

Yeah so far means first two chapters. Chapter one I feel quite comfortable with. Chapter two I'm mostly alright with. I'm not entirely comfortable with countability, need to work on that.

I will disagree with this a little bit. Rudin is certainly a very difficult book, but it is very high quality (at least for the first 8 chapters). His proofs are short and he often takes routes through the material which aren't straightforward, but that's the point of reading rudin. It's the sort of book where if you put everything into it, you'll come up with a very strong amount of knowledge, as well a serious development in mathematical ability.

chapter 1 is to lure you in with a soft intro
chapter 2 is where is starts. you can go head first into it and crash and burn, but really, save yourself the trouble and read Tao

I mean sure, if you shoot yourself in the foot and then undergo run training anyway you're going to be a great runner

why not just go the run training without shooting yourself? a learning undergrad doesn't need slick proofs, especially someone who's just studying by himself

You're right, it was. I ended up finding a pdf version of it. Book looks good, I'll definitely give it a read. Just need to reinforce all these ideas as often as I can

I have an indisposable amount of time and a plethora of online resources to supplement my learning. The challenge is fun. It's supposed to be hard. I'm not the first person to self study Rudin it's been done before

you're not the first one who tells me this, then crashes into section 2.2, quits self learning, and is never heard from again

fuck, I tried this myself when I started getting into math. set me back quite a bit.

I know you love the challenge. we love challenges. but people who love challenges hate artificial difficulty, if you know what that is. if something's already hard, there's no point in making it harder for yourself in ways that don't make any sense

I'm not saying it can be done. you can learn analysis more effectively in other ways.

I've already finished reading chapter two. I've done the first 12 exercises. I'll do as many as I can tomorrow. Look don't get me wrong, all the topology stuff was hard to get my head around, and I'm no expert, but given enough time it comes to you.

Is baby rudin is so bad for beginners, how come princeton prescribes it in first year undergrad?

Yeah. The first year course I'm preparing for uses royden, which by all accounts is more hardcore than baby Rudin.

it's a very different thing to read a book by yourself, and for a professor to use it for lecturing

Its a one semester course for the first 8 chapters, the lecturers sketch the proofs and expositate a bit. How is that very different from reading it yourself, reading other sources and asking questions on stackexchange?

OP here. While I agree self studying is feasible, I will argue for devil's advocate that it's a lot easier to learn when you're working with others, bouncing ideas off each other's heads. Just a completely different environment.

www-math.mit.edu/~helgason/rudin_supp_notes.pdf
math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/ug.hndts/m104_Rudin_exs.pdf
math.ucdavis.edu/~emsilvia/math127/math127.html
amazon.com/Companion-Analysis-Graduate-Studies-Mathematics/dp/0821834479

are you asking that just for the sake of arguing or are you serious?

a classroom setting is very, very good for understanding new material, especially because of the kind of examples and pedagogical approach to fostering intuition that professors usually have

>that professors usually have
LOL

sorry you went to a shit uni m8

What do you guys think the hardest chapter of Rudin is then? My goal is to finish 6. Am I over the hurdle with 2?

This guy looks exactly like my grandfather, what the fuck.

He might be your grandfather. Is your grandfather called Walter Rudin?

He isn't, but something is definitely afoot.

Post a pic of gramps

>My goal is to finish 6

You should do Chapters 7 and 8 too.

I'll do as much as I can. My goal in this self-study is to prepare for this advanced course and, perhaps more importantly, to place into it. I'm fairly certain that 7/8 won't help me place in per se, but you're right, they would help me for the course.