"smart in other ways"

>"smart in other ways"

how does unevenly distriubted intelligence develop in people?

is it true this is more common in people with older parents?

do you have exceptional ability in one area and borderline deficiency in others?

>do you have exceptional ability in one area and borderline deficiency in others?
Yes. From what I've seen, many people are this way.

Take super-autist for example.
He's smart in math, chemistry, high-iq, learns everything super quick.

But he cannot socialize for the life of him.

Intellectually smart
Socially defunct

Socially smart people are good at manipulation, getting what they want out of others, persuasion, etc. High intelligence and social ability and you could almost be like a spectator, getting everything you want, and dropping it just to change dynamics and see what happens.

>how does unevenly distriubted intelligence develop in people?
Usually laziness and lack of effort / any environmental means to realize what ties things together.

Less commonly a hard mechanical cause.

what do you consider 'socializing'?

do you think this super-autist would have a hard time speaking to mathematicians/chemists/etc. (whatever he is very interested in)?

>"smart in other ways"
Newspeak for "stupid".

What an autistic question.

A super autist would have trouble manipulating, forming a meaningful relationship with, or carrying on pleasant banter with the other autist-labels you mentioned.

I don't know Veeky Forums seems to function pretty well.

>I don't know
That is correct, you don't.

it means they're talented in one area but not actually smart in the general sense of having an especially high intelligence.

usually its something often confused with intelligence such as having a good memory being good at rote tasks (muscle memory), having a lot of knowledge, being wise, or charismatic.

examples of "smart in other ways" would be:
a "street smart" socialite
a rote learner (regurgatist)
a person who practices mental math
a pianist
a wise old man
a RTS player
a rubix cube expert
a chess expert
a memnist (memory sports)

All of these things superficially seem to require intelligence, but actually only require average intelligence to excel at.

However, in reality, everyone is "smart in other ways" to some degree. For instance we all employ rote memorization and muscle memory. Recognizing this is the most important thing we can do.

Initially a biology major, i went years without realising that all i was doing was memorizing and regurgitating, rather than learning.

I HATED math because it was "boring" although i didnt realise this was just me reacting to actually having to learn and then apply knowledge rather than just memorize and repeat.

I am still struggling to catch up to where i should have been had i not been encouraged to simply parrot what i had read.

>everyone is "smart in other ways"
>to some degree
egalitarian fgt pls

He's right, we're all special in our own way.

you're the same decaying organic
matter as everything else

a candle burning twice as long lasts half as bright

shit you know what i meant

we can all be special in our oin way

I don't think I'm very smart in any way. Checkmate OP

Buthurt biologist detected

He's right.

How many times have you heard:
"'Well you know, some people can be really good at some things, and just be bad at others, right? We're all different. Like one guy might be really good at politics, or math, and yet not get how to change the oil in his car[...]."

This is another way to say the person was overspecialized and trained such that they lack the capacity, or will (mostly this), to understand a wide breadth of topics. This type of person is self deluding and near useless, but they're everywhere. They're people who had the newage collectivist kool-aid pushed on them, and eventually drank.

It's true it's a complex world out there and it takes time to learn a large array of things enough that you can have a sense for when you don't actually understand. But when it comes to changing your oil, open up your goddamn manual, get down there, and do it. It will all become clear. Fluid comes out, fluid goes in, an' there ya go bud. You changed your oil. No more justifying laziness for you. :^)

Who is really actually smart to you then? What would you claim non-superficial intelligence to be?

Me, for example.

I excel in logical reasoning and problem solving, except I can't work with actual numbers.

I.E I can do math with variables extremely well but can't do basic arithmetic for shit.

this.
memorization =/= reasoning =/= social prediction