Isn't infinity just a concept? Can an undefined number be bigger then a defined number?

Isn't infinity just a concept? Can an undefined number be bigger then a defined number?

I am a total noob when it comes to mathematics.

Infinity is big, and stupid, and fat, and ugly.

Infinity is a big number
for you

Infinity doesn't exist in nature, so yeah it is a concept, just like elves, Santa, God, and good rap music.

Infinity isn't a number
it's a state

It might. It seems as though it doesn't, so yeah, it should be thought of as a concept until proved otherwise.

so for example, if i say:

1, 1/2, 1/4...

this infinity is definitely not bigger then 3. So we have to mention which infinity we are talking about?

Think this way. If the universe can be measured it means that its finite.

Just like if you locked yourself in a room full of numbers with you being a determined entity made entirely of nothing else but numbers. There is still going to be a finite ammount of possibilities you can reach and you won't be able to go beyond that.

Mathematic predicts that infinite is something that expands indefinitely within the realm of possibility. That's just abstract line of rationale and impractical. As we all know it the possibility is just a fraction of statistical thinking which isn't concrete thinking. Imagination, without traces or curves giving any distinction to its form and being, a skeleton of nothing real. Infinite is plain and simple, a universally refutable concept of the inexistence.

>Infinity doesn't exist in nature
>posts math

Math doesn't exist in nature you massive fucking retard.

Your thoughts are part of nature, whether it's relevant is another question.

Numbers don't exist in nature either.

You are on the right path. We do not usually consider infinity a number. However, it can be convenient to include it as part of the extended real number system.
When we start subjecting the concept of infinity to standard mathematical rigor, we find ourselves working limits. Here is a sample definition of what it means for a sequence to tend to infinity:
Suppose we have a sequence [math]{a_i}_{i \in \mathb {N}[/math]. We say that the sequence is unbounded (and contains a subsequence which tends to infinity) if for any number M>0 there exists an N such that [math]a_N > M[/math].
As part of the extended real number system, infinity is just considered a value which is greater than any other (noninfinite) real number.

>this whole thread
Kek

here's another shitty picture to argue about

irrational numbers contain an infinite series of numerals

Isn't zero just a concept? Anything in nature that can be represented by the number zero, by definition, wouldn't exist as there is 0 of it. So zero doesn't exist in nature. Also, infinity is just 2 zeros next to each other.

what is zero to the power of infinity?

op my brain is fucking exploding

WHAT are the philosophical reasons - nay - explanations for INFINITY?

but i digress. i will write a quick proof and post it later, along with my thoughts on the matter.

op you goddamn madman!

x

Is zero a number?

The thing about infinity is that it's a poorly understood concept (outside of academia/math majors). So, iirc, infinity is not a real number, then again, neither is i. I'm not really sure how it's defined, but I've often seen infinity defined as some number y, such that y > x, where x can be any real number.

what is the length of the universe in inches?
>inb4 "observable universe"

thats not infinity, thats just infinitesimally smaller than 2

It can't be treated as an actual number, but there are still ways to describe it using numbers.

Take for example the sequence of all positive integers up to an integer n. {1,2,3,4,5,....,n}
It can be shown that you can always have a number (n+1) which is larger than n. This is one way of conceptualizing infinity using only defined numbers. In a lot of cases you treat infinity as an arbitrarily large number as a method to compute problems involving infinity.

>Isn't infinity just a concept? Can an undefined number be bigger then a defined number?

>I am a total noob when it comes to mathematics.

>total noob

OK then the answer is:

>Yes, it is just a concept. Also, the number '1' is just a concept. You will find infinity in nature just as much as you will find '1', that is to say: never.

You can find things that, when thought about, can use the "1." It is, for example, a useful concept when counting the cars I own.

But you can also find things that, when thought about, can use "infinity." It is, for example, a useful concept when counting the number of directions I can point my 1 car when it is parked.

Infinity is just a real as any other number.
All of the numbers are arbitrary.

What's the big fucking deal? You can't do anything useful with any of this. Like you regularly have to deal with denominators approaching zero from both sides of the graph. Type any of this shit in a computer and you're going to crash whatever program you're running because of some fucking mathematics bullshit magnified by autistic software programmers with no capacity for free thought. "Bu-bu-but what about the limits" bullshit fucking what real practical use is there for negative infinity or whatever the fuck "but logically you can't know what the value at zero is" it's fucking zero you piece of shit.

You all are missing a big concept, maths are a model, models are methods to represent realities, no model is exactly the same as the sistem it represents

> this thread

>Infinity is a big number
>for you
Was shitposting part of your plan?

The power of the paeth filter.

What makes "one" less of a concept than infinity?

>good rap music
Yung Lean

Child