I stopped understanding math or even trying in the fourth grade. Biggest mistake of my life

I stopped understanding math or even trying in the fourth grade. Biggest mistake of my life.

I'm about to go to college and I have no path to follow but the usual fine arts and those bullshit courses for dumb people. I'm 20.

Is there still hope for me, Veeky Forums?

Can you guys recommend me a really good book that will give me tons of knowledge? I don't even know how to find out the value of x.

Sorry for being a dumb ni**er. Help me out, I wanna change.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system
xuanji.appspot.com/isicp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Enjoy making burgers for the rest of your life

Alright you fuck, your gonna have to spend hours and hours a day learning now to make up for your past.

You are probably going to want to start at algebra one, try khan academy, or finding pdfs of algebra one math books.

Before you get to college you must at bare minimum be through algebra 2 and geometry.

Alternatively become a welder and make a solid 50-90k a year.

There is hope for anyone who is willing and prepared to intellectually invest themselves to self-learning. Start with the basics (see pic). Basic math is an absolute fundamental piece to read, and will help your mind re-coordinate to a more academic climate for future learning.

Big help, thanks.

It was a big mistake, but I was a manchild and fell for the le math is useless meme. I wanna change that now.

Thanks, user. I'll look into that.

I would actually like to study Biology or Business. I know, completely different fields, but would you know what I would need to learn to get into one of them?

Fuck me, thank you, user! Really! Do you have more of those charts? Specifically about math.

You made me feel a bit of hope, to be honest. I was feeling that it was too late for me, but what you said was so simple and yet wise that I know really feel like giving everything I got to learning this.

not op, but related.
is there a way to learn how to do proper calculations in your head?
I learned the retarded way as I was only ever enrolled in shitty alternative schools where I was taught to think through the process.
example: double digit multiplication and division become difficult for me to do in my head because I was taught to think about it as though I was doing it on paper.
teaching myself calc and linear algebra, so the boost would be appreciated.

i'm actually a biologist and i barely know how to count, so...

I'm glad you find comfort in those words; there is not an ounce of fantasy or wishful-thinking behind them. There are people who go into manual labour their whole life, e.g bricklaying, and close to retirement - can afford university education and higher learning - often going into stem fields or urban development and economics. You're not 'fucked' if you can't or haven't grasped high school education by your early twenties; the human mind is constantly and readily available to pursue academia at any age.

Pic is of another absolute must-read for math principles

There's hope user. My gf used Khan Academy to get up to Calculus in the year running up to college, and she couldn't even do long division. You gotta make it a daily habit though.

19yo fag here. Im in the same situation. I have never liked literature, history or anything related to humanities. But for certain reasons i chose to study them in high school and omg i had a hard time. I regret completely. Biggest mistake of my life.

Now im studying algebra and calculus I. Hope to go to college sometime in the future.

How hard has it been, user?

Go up, motherfuck**.

most of these books are shit, though

lmao who made that meme-tier picture

here they come

It's not been that hard. Once you start understanding you will be addicted to it. So practice again and again with a sense of understanding, it plays a key role.

Stop reposting your shitty pic then

It's OP.

Can you recommend me some better books then, user? Not trying to engage in conflict or anything. Just want as many options as possible, if you're willing to help and not only interested in arguing with the other anons.

>the bible
lmao
>proofs
lmao
>biology
lmao
>TAOE
neat an encyclopedia
>calculus from Keisler
fucking literally why
>learning C++
okay you're a fucking troll at this point

fuck off retard nobody reads this shit

Not a book, but Paul's Online Math Notes is a good source for begginers and those who struggle with math.

Same boat here. Twenty-two and really proficient with writing and reading as well as history and psychology but lately feeling that it's for the birds & that for a prospective job I should git gud at math while I still have a chance.

you're fucked you dumbass. have fun in the gender studies.

exactly same with me, realised math is absolutely necessary for any kind of success, good thing I started doing math immediately after finishing HS, had a year to go through all of the HS math, now I'm gonna write a test in a month, and then apply to a university to do engineering or physics.

Engineering or physics tho? Which gives mo money?

Do it for the love of science.

>Do it for the love of science.

I'd rather not if it means being completely underpaid just because I'm interested in a subject.

just go into finance and be a trader

Have you googled before posting your post?
I guess not. Anyway most of the books used in Fine arts are well written, since you're in college try using your colleges library, also tell your math teacher your problem and ask him/her for an assessment, also for book recommendations

hes right tho, i mean the bible? seriously?

>hes right tho, i mean the C++ book? seriously?
fix'd your priorities.

You mean the book that has had more to do with shaping western civilization than any other?

I get the whole "hurt I'm proud atheist! Religion is waste of time", but no one is suggestion you believe what's in the bible, but I do agree it should be read for perspective on culture alone.

That said, do a modern English translation. KJV is pretty poetry in places, but a pain in the ass to read.

This user is absolutely fucking correct. It is well understood that Veeky Forums is composed of a predominantly atheist audience, but one cannot hope to grasp a sensible understanding of the english language without reading the bible.

The books listed are not 'meme-tier', people who say this bullshit have never read or even glanced past the forward. Serge's and Campbell's texts are unquestionable fundamentals in their respective areas.

Which ones? I only know:

1. Campbell, which is a fantastic book

2. Lang Mathematics, which is pretty good

3. How To Solve It, which is good

4. University Physics, no idea if this is good or bad (anyone know?)

5. Oxtoby Chemistry, which isn't a bad text but it's real pain in the ass to read

I can do tripple digit multiplication in my head, there are specific methods that make this possible if you learn them systematically.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

Yeah, if you're doing this freely, in your own time, you may as well jump into the wizard book head on and learn shit properly. Bjarne has his own opinions and ways of doing things and C++ is a horrible language to start with.

xuanji.appspot.com/isicp/

>how to find out the value of x

Imagine one of those old balancing scales in which you put on and take off weights. Now imagine that the equal sign is the fulcrum. Multiply, divide, add, or subtract, but do the same thing to each side to make things equal.