Why do we like landscapes? Also, do animals like landscapes as we do?

Why do we like landscapes? Also, do animals like landscapes as we do?

I never understood why people like landscapes. I don't particularly enjoy them, I wouldn't go on a trek to see them, I don't take photos of them when I see them, nor do I think they're particularly beautiful or worth remembering.

I guess its good to be able to see a threat already from far away. Gives a secure feeling. And control is beautiful. And i bet an albatross or a condor loves the view.

It's vaguely touched on here, , but not fully explicated.

The old "le ancient steppes" meme (which although true, does get tired) has already been explained. Related to yet distinct from this is that human eyes have a much easier time scanning left-right than up-down (you have to actually move your head if you want a good look, by this point). I'm suggesting that a land animal's needs are more "2-D", while a sea or air animal's needs are more "3D", but this suggestion is open to criticism.

I'm interested if any marine biologists can comment on the morphology of fishy-eyes as opposed to other types of eyes. Which animals have binocular vision vs. those that don't, etc?

Humans evolved and spent the vast majority of our history in nature, it's what we're biologically drawn towards. An open field is inviting, if it's lush and green it's comforting. There's nothing biologically comforting about a cold, sterile domicile, cubicle, or office building.

Because nature is fractals, and fractals are our nature.

This.

>human top; cat bottom
Donno about the fish, but this is a comparison between what a cat and a human sees. Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? I would wager that cats don't have much interest in landscapes.

jesus christ how horrible

maybe part of the an instinct to map our surroundings

Here is as picture with humans.
Just remember the next time you get mad at your cat and yell, and start waving your arms around, you look like a fucking alien to your cat, and you're probably scaring it.

thanks based catvocate

> not seeing green
oh man I feel bad for cats.

then why is shrek in times square

test

You don't just look like an alien to your cat:

(you look like a cat. look it up)

how is this in any way interesting?
dogs dont see colors.
but dogs can smell very good and their sensory experience is probably more olfactory in nature than visual

mantis shrimps see polarization of light and infrared.

bees see ultraviolet (and also polarization)

all of these are infinitely more interesting than
>blurry
>slightly shifted colors

fuck off, cat fucker

Aesthetic appreciation and depiction of landscapes in the west began only recently, in the renaissance. Might be an indication that there is some cultural aspect to it, maybe related to a life lived predominantly inside. For ancient people, the landscape was always just everywhere around you, but when windows came into swing it was more something to be looked upon.

we used to live in jungles and nature. we have the most receptors for detecting various shades of green. it takes the least effort to look at green things because they're the most relaxing to the eye.
most landscapes have fields of green in them. it's just relaxing to the eye.
that's why boards in school were green (still are in some places) and doctors wear green scrubs.

There is no need to be upset.