Vegan Thread

Post your favorite vegan meals here.

Mine: theradicalvegan.tumblr.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HUH3ttCnnGU
reciperighter.com/homemade-vegan-ravioli/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When I first saw this I started to roll my eyes thinking it was a carnist troll posting meat, lol.

>Radical Reuben
That looks really good.

You mean like this?
Octopus tentacles, severed fresh from a live one.
They were still wriggling on the plate.

Can't tell if you're a vegan mocking a meat eater or actually a meat eater to be honest.

A meat eater.
The tentacles weren't very good. Bland and really chewy.

I'm sorry to hear that.
About both things.

It is.
I'm not even vegan, but I have a bunch of vegan friends who rave about the place. Finally tried it, and it was indeed one of the most memorable sandwiches I've had. Better than any real reuben even. I think the secret is actually the vegan cheese. Adds a great sweet tang along with the dressing and onions and avoids making the whole thing overly oily.

If you ever get a chance to try Native Foods, you'll have a similar experience. Best burger I've had in all my life. The Oklahoma (vegan) Bacon Cheeseburger is made with seitan, vegan cheese, vegan bacon, fried pickles - it's amazing.

Will do.

How do you guys feel about lab grown meat?

From an ethical standpoint you should have no problem eating it since it didn't come from an animal.

Wow they found a way to make frozen food even more artificial

I'm all for it, as long as it's at least remotely environmentally friendly. I haven't been a vegan for long and I still remember the taste of delicious meat and would love to eat it again from time to time.

This is actually probably the healthiest and most natural microwavable food that exists...

>like "vegan" is a thing

Huh?

I have no issue with it.

My big concern is the kind of culture wars we'll see when it becomes widespread and very affordable.

People will be discouraged from eating non-synthetic meat due to the ethical alternative, and farmers/rural people/"naturalists" might think synthetic meat is evil and ungodly or something, meanwhile everyone else thinks the "live meat" eaters are evil, and then you have civil war.

Not veg but I had this the other day and it was great.

The green tamale also good.

......or we'd just ban animal products and they'd cry but largely be ignored by civilized society and wouldn't be able to do anything significant.

Yeah, that's probably what will actually happen. Eventually.

I have to be in the right mood for it, and I have had an off batch. But when I'm in the mood for it it's really good. It's a tad on the oily side so that's why I have to be in the mood for it. My meat eating roommate LOVES it. I'm more likely to eat the enchilada meal or the gluten free dairy free bean burritos, or when I feel like really spoiling myself their vegan mac 'n' cheese is the best mac 'n' cheese ever. It's like 5 dollars for some reason though which is upsetting but honestly if you have the money it's totally worth it.

Damn vegans are deluded.
I understand your naive viewpoint for what it is but you truly don't understand that all human prosperity has the by product of the suffering of others.
Eat what you want, I don't really care.if you.think your.a god among men. Just realize.your lifestyle isn't free of suffering just because you choose to eat substitutes.

If plants are discovered to feel pain, would you stop eating plants?

Obviously there is some suffering inherent to living at all, especially living in a modern society.

But vegans/vegetarians believe that most animals are sentient, and that killing or hurting them is wrong, period. There are already plenty of meat substitutes out there. Most of them don't taste as good as real meat yet, but they're more than enough to sustain a healthy human diet.

A vegan would argue that the suffering inflicted by the meat industry is bad enough to completely avoid ever touching meat.

I think it comes down to a philosophical question. How much life worth and consciousness do you attribute to animals? If it's not much, then of course eating meat won't make you feel very bad. If it's as much as humans, then eating meat will feel diabolical. Most people are somewhere in the middle. Science will probably have clearer answers to these questions in the future, but everything I've read so far makes me think that vertebrate animals are similar enough to humans that they experience most of the same kinds of thoughts, emotions, short-term goals, and experience of pleasure and pain that humans do.

Yes, I would, assuming a full subjective percetion of pain. I believe it's unlikely that any plants have that capability, though.

If plants were discovered to feel pain, a vegan diet would still cause the least suffering. Animals eat. So it's an irrelevant question really. It's so unlikely that you could say it's impossible, for them to feel pain. The people who exaggerate those studies are ridiculous. The scientists themselves acknowledge this. But clickbait logic prevails.

Gardein tastes better than meat in my opinion and in many meat eaters opinions. Seitan can also be awesome.

I find it so bizarre that someone could think animal flesh could taste better than Gardein that I think it's just an objective fact that it tastes better than animal flesh. But I guuueeeesss there might be some strange people who actually prefer animal flesh. As I say that though I'm shaking my head thinking they couldn't possibly really exist.

i love her pizzas and the tofu scramble
shame about the cost of vegan foods in general though

Yeah, we need more cheap vegan foods. I mean there are a fucking ton of cheap vegan foods. I ought to take photos of all the cheap vegan food I bring home after grocery trips. People would be amazed at all the cheap junk food and convenience foods I'm able to find that are vegan.

I was kinda pissed earlier today. I went to Whole Foods thinking I'd get lunch and something sweet, maybe some vegan alcohol. Well they had a poor selection of alcohol in my opinion and then the only vegan pizza they had was this pineapple barbecue tempeh pizza and I just wasn't into that. Looked at their food bar and they had vegan food dispersed between animal products and so I wasn't into that - their vegan options didn't even look very good anyway. And then they got rid of two of my favorite vegan products they had - vegan ravioli and Twilight bars. So I'm like what the fuck - they're getting rid of the best vegan food and the prices are terrible. So I went to Target after and got the cheap essentials. They sell Just cookie dough there now. It's only $2.50 for a jar that makes a ton of delicious cookies. Anyway. Yeah I'm starting to have an attitude where I expect stores to have good vegan options and getting mad when they don't. Like I've been vegan 7 years now, they've had plenty of time to get with it. Jackasses.

I long for the day the food industry learns how to cook vegan food as well as I do. A lot of businesses just totally don't even half ass it, and that's why people think vegan food doesn't taste good. Because a lot of the shit they sell as an option for vegans IS shit. They weren't even fucking trying.

But yeah I love Amy's vegan margherita pizza and tofu scramble too.

Are they using self renewable stem cells or are they consistently taking the organic material from living animals?

Are the cells being produced in bovine fetal serum are we using plant based alternatives?

Veganism is about reducing the harm and suffering we cause towards sentient beings to the best of our abilities, so in that sense lab grown meat is pretty sweet if the above conditions are being met.

Personally I am realizing however that the longer I remain vegan the less I long for meat. I still crave the occasional pizza but there are times where even the thought of consuming any kind of flesh repulses me.

Meat is bad for you anyways, at least the kind I considered tasty.

are you that anaracho-primitivist from a thread a couple weeks ago?

if so, it is possible to create a society virtually free of animal suffering but we must minimize it as much as possible until we reach that point

even if industrial society is inherently unethical why aren't you trying to minimize what's your excuse for actively causing more suffering than is needed?

and if you have such a problem with industrialization what are you doing on the internet on your computer?

you are a coward, you hide behind your cynical intellectualizations of society to avoid confronting your own unethical actions

Can you still be a vegan if you eat dairy products and eat unfertilized eggs?

I've never met someone I resonated with so much. I want to be your friend.

I think its great I would have no ethical qualm eating it
I probably wouldn't eat it or atleast very rarely
I can't believe I ever liked meat it really is disgusting

but I think the better outcome of this wouldn't be for vegans to be able to eat but rather if those people who "could never give up meat" and who have no intention to give it up were to switch to that as opposed to the current form of meat consumption

Nope. Why would you want to be anyway? That shit's nastay.

Every week, I make a bean and veggie mix in a slow cooker, and it's usually pretty good.

Black beans, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, green pepper, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, and some veggie broth. Pretty tasty over rice and/or spinach.

< I'm the second kind.

It is really bizarre to me that I used to eat meat too. I try to block it from my mind honestly, the thought is so nauseating. I remember forcing myself to eat it - and the veins, the slime, the gristle, the fat, the tendons, the bone, the "juice", that tissue that covers a chicken breast, connective tissue, all of it is so fucking nasty.

And I have serious problems with the smell of animal products now that I've been vegan for 7 years. It's definitely the hardest part of being vegan for me. I wish I had no sense of smell because I'm frequently bombarded with the smell of cooked flesh and animal secretions and it smells as nasty as it sounds. This man in my class often brings hot meals with him and eats during class and it's gotten to the point I'm legit pissed at him for it. I can't breathe properly, I can't focus in class. Tonight I finally decided to move as far away from his as I could. I hope he gets the fucking point. People who bring hot food to class are rude to begin with, but the smell of animal products literally makes me physically sick. Next class period I'm sitting as far away from his as possible but I really feel like complaining about it because I'd be better able to focus if someone was slapping me every minute.

that is some very convincing tofurky octopus.

I genuinely hate every single vegan with every fiber of my being. Every single one of you I've met in real life and tried to be a decent person to had been an absolute piece of shit. Without fail. And you talk just like them. It's the exact same cult behavior that reinforces my belief you all live to complain and play the victim, just like SJWs.

I've tried to be kind and considerate, I've made vegan dishes aside regular for "friends" who were vegan, and got nothing but complaints because I was "singling them out", and the only acceptable solution to them was to force everyone to eat vegan. So we kindly asked them to leave, and they proceeded to shit all over us on social media claiming we were vegan haters and a bunch of other bullshit.

Thankfully we weren't the only people they'd done this to, and we were much better established in our community than they, and known for our kindness and generosity, so it backfired.

Another time we went to a vegan friend of a friend's house and the entire time the vegan host and his vegan friends constantly, and I mean constantly, badgered those who weren't vegan to give vegetarianism a try or guilt tripped them about how they were killing poor innocent animals, basically a fucked up group intervention.

I've learned my lesson. Vegans are insane cultists who thrive on stirring shit thanks to their massively inflated egos, victim complexes, and unwarrented self-importance, and should be avoided or shunned at all costs.

Vegans, more than any other subset of humans, are the least acceptable type of people acceptable in civilized society. Not because of what they eat, but because of the absolutely atrocious way they conduct themselves in public and private.

>most vegan restaurants near me just put a bunch of sides with no cohesion onto a plate and call it an entree
>most vegans at these shitty restaurants are hipsters pretending the food is amazing
Being a vegan must suck.

TL;DR:
Wahhh, WAHHHHH, WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Likely made up, misinterpreted, and/or exaggerated anecdote about a couple of vegans who gave him an absolutely illogical excuse to be an utter scumbag and not only fund the most destructive industry on the planet, but actually actively defend funding it. WAHHHHHHHHHH, wahhhhhhh, WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

autism

No you're just conditioned to not realize how fucking nasty what you eat is. You'd have similar thoughts if you weren't still eating it. The smell is really putrid.

>vegans are so rude so often they wear it as a badge of pride and make image macros about it
>wonder why no one likes them and think it's because of what they eat

There is no greater circle-jerk, than a vegan circle-jerk.

Eh, don't hate crazy people. It drags you down. I've never met one who was actually a good person, either. They can be pretty nasty. It's like a cult without a messiah or any sense of benevolence towards themselves or others. Ick. Lotta fear, suppressed rage and self-loathing in there. Definitely not the future of humanity. Avoid.

Only temporarily. I'm confident we'll have a primarily vegan economy fairly soon - I'm thinking another ten or twenty years at most before the majority of food sold is vegan.

Restaurants can be an issue, unless you're okay with Taco Bell and Chipotle and places like that. Personally, I'm not because I have a legit phobia of contamination, so I only eat at restaurants if they're vegan, and I have none near me so...yeah it does suck in that respect. Los Angeles has some awesome vegan restaurants though the rare time I'm able to make it over there.

I'm an expert at finding and creating good vegan food from grocery stores though so I'm content. Veganism is very easy if you're a good cook. Takes some time to fully adjust if you aren't, but once you get the hang of it it's easy even if you don't cook at all.

those people aren't vegans. They're hipster plant apologists. Its about the effect, not the cause to them. They don't give a fuck about meat on an individual level. They simply watch videos and spout know it all seen it all fallacies. Its a subversion to a reality that allows them to be hyper control freaks and live out in this intangible reality that would be impossible in any other situation. Fuck'em. Don't try to reason with them, don't argue with them. Because they are defeatist, the only way to win is not to play at all.

Dude, don't even address that wacko. He's like a toddler crying because his parents explained to him why he shouldn't bite his sister. Don't legitimize his bullshit please.

I went through about a 2 year and some change period of my life were I could not physically eat meat. The texture alone set my gag reflex into overdrive.

And I have no fucking clue how someone comes to believe what you're saying.

I'll probably start eating it when it becomes widespread and affordable, until then I'll stick to my normal vegan diet

Post pictures of Amy.
I'm still kind of "up in the air" about her food. I need photos.

only when you don't know what to eat, this is why I prefer to eat at home because yes most "vegan" restaurants are just a collections of side dishes with the dissonance of a fucking 1 year old

>come to cooking board figuring they'd have a vegan thread
>see this and get excited
>get through the thread and it has some arguments, as i expected
but no one's staying on topic
guys, just ignore the cunts and lets have fun.
is there a regular vegan thread here? and are they all like this or no?

anyway, i made some vegan cheese for the first time recently. pic related
nacho cheese made of potatoes and carrots, pretty fuckin good dude. made it twice now.

Mmmm. And whoa @ it being made from potatoes and carrots. That actually sounds like something I have to try.

yeah man, you should
my niece said it tasted like normal cheese and my mom loved it. 2bad tho bc i wanted it all for myself.

youtube.com/watch?v=HUH3ttCnnGU
here's the vid if you do try it. the written recipe is in the description also

Thanks. I totally need to do this.

Amy's Broccoli Cheese melts are stupidly good. But that isn't vegan

Any recs for a nut milk that is truly not sweet? Even the "unsweetened" varieties of milks at my store are pretty sweet which is noticeable when I use them for savory things like mac and cheese.

Looks pretty good but I have to say it.

Looks like melted craft singles, not cheese.

it looks like velveeta/ nacho cheese

Are you buying vanilla flavored unsweetened nut milks? If so, don't do that.

I personally think cashew, soy, and almond milk are the superior nut milks.

However, I guess you could give rice, hemp or sunflower seed milks a try.

I've made the mistake of adding the sweetened or vanilla flavored unsweetened vegan milks to things like mac and cheese but managed to salvage it somewhat by adding more salt, and things like pepper, to make it more savory. That works best when you accidentally use the vanilla unsweetened flavors though.

yeah i noticed that too
but normal non vegan cheese also looks that way once its cooled down. and this vegan cheese cools down kind of quickly once you pour it on. it looks more like a cheese that's been sitting there for little while, although it'd only been about 4 mins since i poured it on the chips

meant to reply to

Fuck your religion.

Veganism is funny because it's relatively new. Only in the past hundred or so years has there been enough available vegetables and supplements to allow mentally ill people to live in the fantasy world of The Religion of Veganism, yet they act like it's somehow completely natural and if only we would all drop evil corporations then the earth would be covered in some kind of peace, love and harmony because somehow all of history isn't fraught with humans fighting and killing predators to survive.

"Ethics". They're only important to you, not to anything or anyone else in the entire universe. Your imagined "being mean to animals is intrinsically wrong" idea is not indicative of reality, so don't try to encourage others to accept it and apply it in their lives.

You're a total dumbass. But I do agree with you that veganism is a crazy cult. But whatever, let people have their strange moral compunctions, as long as they aren't thrusting it on me.

I do worry about the threat that groups like these present to civilization when they gain popularity, though. But the Trump crowd and the SJWs are around, and my vegan friends are pretty sane generally. I'm going to prioritize my rages. There aren't enough vegans to threaten civilization, and I have no problem with people developing better and more creative ways of feeding themselves using non-animal products.

Non-vegans literally threaten civilization. Your post is pure cringe because it's obvious you hold these opinions purely out of weakness.

Non-vegans invented civilization. Your myopia is fucking astounding.

Humans will go extinct if we continue eating animal products. Stop trying to pretend thousand year old behaviors that happened to exist can't also cause the destruction of civilization and our world. I'm too tired right now to even explain the severity of stupidity you just exemplified. I'm dumbfounded.

As someone who loves vegetables and vegetable dishes... vegan food threads are pathetic because their favourite "foods" are a branded product.

Even homemade substitutes are a waste of time. 2 tablespoons of carrot and potato sauce? Not cheese. Has no properties or flavours of cheese. Is not expertly preserved, densely nutritious or a source of energy.

Most delicious vegan foods are either zero calorie, deep fried, quickly sickening, mostly sugar or otherwise unhealthy.

If you want to eat a kilo of pasta a day covered in barbecue sauce along with bread topped with sugary peanut butter (a vegan I know)... it's your life. But I'd ask you to stop posting online about the benefits of green leaves and legumes.

I was a vegan for 2 months and it's basically untenable if you like actual food.

You're an idiot on so many levels it would take an entire year to fully explain.

I would absolutely love to have you try and explain. What did I say that was wrong?

Then why haven't you fucking started? Stop wasting my time fava bean ass bitch.

As someone who grew up in an entirely agricultural part of the US, I can say the plant side of agriculture makes way more waste than the animal side does. Not directly, however. I know that pig/cow/chicken shit is a big factor in pollution, but so are the packaging and fertilizer industries. They hold just as much accountability for the destruction of the environment as the meat industry does, and kill just as many animals. Rabbits, turtles, mice, moles, foxes, raccoons and dozens of other species are all victims of agricultural murder in order to make growing fields the states. Also; a cow can never be a lawyer or an actor or a doctor. All a cow will ever be whether you kill it or not is a cow. It will live relatively the same life as it would if it wasn't going to be eaten.
And besides, why do you want to promote over population anyways? We could stand to actually lose a few billion people if we want to have a sustainable planet. It's not like there are millions of farm animals because they just appeared; they're here because we had a demand for them. And if we just stopped eating animals all together, we would still have to kill all of those animals anyways because now they're just income waste.

Veganism is a cute attempt to solve a much larger problem. I understand the need for better green farming practices and more sustainable food sourcing, but thinking everything is fixable if you don't eat meat is ridiculous. There's a reason China and Japan don't advocate it even with their vastly different understanding of nutrition and diet. They're some of the more healthy people on the planet, yet they still don't see the use of vegan diets.

Yet another post that would take a year to fully explain how idiotic and false it is. Veeky Forums is fucking cancer. Goodnight.

Ex-vegan again here...

I know what you want to say is that more vegetables need to be grown to feed the animals that you eat than would need to be feed to humans. Was that so hard? It's a point that has merit but very weak merit in my country where the animals are entirely sustained on the land here. In fact, hay and feed are stored for the animals in the winter because no food will grow (for humans OR animals).

But most people actually do accept it. Go to /b/, open a rekt thread and wait for shoveldog to be posted, and you'll see the outrage. People generally hate it when animals are abused or mistreated for no reason.

Of course there'll always be edgemeisters such as yourself that will (maybe truthfully) claim to enjoy watching animals suffering etc. But most people don't like it at all and consider it wrong.

Are you sure most of your country's meat and dairy production comes from such sustainable practices?

I'm asking because if you take a walk in the countryside in my country, you might think the same. However, the cows you see grazing outside represent a tiny percentage of the cattle raised for meat and dairy, and most of the production still goes on at factory farms.

And nobody will know, because "my country" isn't a real place.

>those people aren't vegans

Veganism is a religion of peace.

>Ethics". They're only important to you, not to anything or anyone else in the entire universe. Your imagined "being mean to animals is intrinsically wrong" idea is not indicative of reality, so don't try to encourage others to accept it and apply it in their lives.

holy fuck look at your post
not only is this absolutely but I guarantee you would never practice would you are preaching irl

I get it that Veeky Forums is a place where you can be an edgy teenager all over again but jesus christ look at the bullshit you wrote

come back when you are over 18

>Los Angeles has some awesome vegan restaurants
Really? I'm and I live in LA but can't find them. My brother and his wife are vegan so every time they come out here I'm looking for good vegan restaurants. After trying like 10 different ones I've had no luck.

>I guarantee you would never practice would you are preaching irl

Given that all he has to do to practice what he preaches is eat some BBQ, I have no idea why you'd say this.

I was talking more about say that ethics don't matter.

Maybe they were trying to say that ones ethics are only important to oneself, but I don't think they would practice this idea if someone acted unethically towards them

Native Foods Cafe, By Chloe, Doomies, Cruzer's Pizza, The Vegan Joint. And there were two more I tried when I first went vegan but I completely forget what the one that had really good mac 'n' cheeze was called. It was filled to the brim with hipsters and had a raw ice cream place inside of it. Totally forget but I had never seen so many hipsters in one place honestly. I don't judge hipsters though unless they're the kind of shit hipsters who claim ethics don't matter or bacon is god and such cancerous bullshit, so I'm not saying this in a negative way.

I haven't actually tried Doomie's yet sadly but the others I have and they were delicious. Doomie's just seems like it's amazing so I had to mention it.

That was just one of the many flaws in your post.
1. No, you can't say that plant agriculture makes more waste than animal agriculture, just because you live near farms. You're a moron. I have studies, you have crazy fucking assumptions, or you're just a shill shamelessly lying. I live in the same country as you and the facts very fucking obviously disprove your claim.
2. There is pollution involved even if the animals really did survive solely off the land. And I hope you realize that would be an infinitesimally small amount of animals who are raised that way, and their products reach an infinitesimally small amount of people, and there are still a huge amount of flaws with consuming their products that would take a year to fully get into alone.
3. I see no value to your life, but I'm sure you do. Most people won't kill you because you hold value to your life, not the other way around.
4. I don't want to promote overpopulation you fucking genius, we're already overpopulated and this is the only logical way to deal with that fact.
5. You don't destroy the entire fucking planet because you want to kill a few billion people. The people who survive would have absolutely miserable lives. Your logic is fucking cancer.
6. The world isn't going to go vegan overnight and if it did I'm sure those vegans would love to care for those animals til the end of their days.
7. They're not just income waste, they're living creatures who feel and experience life similar to children.
8. Veganism is the only logical solution to a long list of problems.
9. Even China now is trying to cut its meat consumption in half. Everything you fucking say is filled with misinformation, simple ignorance, smugness, and blatant lies.
10. They're not as healthy anymore, and the ones who were ate a primarily vegan diet. You are fucking shameless.

Please don't bother responding to this unless you want to ask for sources. I don't have the time or patience to deal with anymore of your shit.

>vegans get sick looking at this
How's it feel to be deficient human beings?

Pretty fucking great in general. How's it feel to be an absolute degenerate whose health is going to suffer greatly later in life due to their idiocy?

Unfortunately miso soup isn't much of a meal.

Fucking awesome m8. Least I won't be a weak pathetic example of a human being

Come say that to my face, maggot.

I would but I'm afraid you'd break just looking at you.

>3. I see no value to your life, but I'm sure you do. Most people won't kill you because you hold value to your life, not the other way around.
Christ, this fucking argument. Essentially leads to the conclusion that a human life is equal to a rat's.

Kys

Holy fuck someone else knows about Native Foods, their buffalo chicken fingers are better than most real chicken wings I've tried. Their scorpion burger is amazing too

Ugh I wish I lived closer to a Native Foods. I'd be eating there every day.

reciperighter.com/homemade-vegan-ravioli/