Other urls found in this thread:

thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/stuffed-tofu-hakka-style/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love the mouth-feel and complex flavour it exudes

why do Americans ruin literally every food ever invented? Fuck Americans

I like tofu
Especially mapo tofu/fried tofu/tofu in tom kha

Just started cooking it for myself lately, I love it

I'd eat it if I was starving and there were no more bugs crawling around on the ground to snack on.

I have a tofutree in my garden. The fruits are just about ripe this time a year. Taste so deliciously.

YES BROTHER LET US RUIN AMERICA LIKE WE DID YURPOE

I like miso soup enough to accept the tofu bits in it, but otherwise I don't touch the stuff.

I can eat it as a replacement for Indian fresh Cheese aka Paneer but I'd always prefer Paneer first.

>Does Veeky Forums like tofu?

Most people (and many restaurants) in my experience, prepare tofu terribly. Tofu starts out with a non-flavor and a weird texture, so if you don't prepare it well, it's not good.
Well, if you don't prepare it the way *I* enjoy it, it's not good to me.

But if it's prepared well, it's one of my favorite parts of many meals. So good if prepared well.

I prefer tofu as a dessert.

What are some of the preferred ways to prepare it? I've never had it and will try anything once or twice, but I feel like I won't give it a fair chance if I prepare it like shit.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LEAVE
OUT
OUT
OUT

Yes. I don't eat it often, which is probably a good thing, but I enjoy it when I do. Especially in soups, stews, and curries.

Easiest would be miso soup. Use a storebought stock, even, and just gently cube it and stick it in.

Alternatively, you could get extra firm tofu, press the water out, slice/cube it, brown it, and use it in stir fry or curry or something (add it toward the end).

My favorite is when restaurants deep fry it quickly enough that it is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, in an oil that's been used on enough other food that it is well flavored... however, I don't deep fry at home, so I never prepare it this way.

One of the ways I make tofu:
1) unwrap it, squeeze the water out of it
2) you really want to get the water out of it, so wrap it in paper towels and put some weight on it, let it sit for at least 15 minutes
3) then unwrap it, and cut it into whatever size pieces you want
4) then marinade it
>one of my favorite marinades is equal parts rice vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice, then throw some garlic in with it
>but whatever, lots of marinades work for it, feel free to try your own
>if I'm going to use it in a dish with a really flavorful sauce, I might not even marinade it at all, since tofu will suck up strong flavors
5) spread the pieces out on a baking sheet, and throw it in an oven pre-heated to 400 degrees F
6) bake for 15 minutes, flip 'em over, bake for another 10-15 minutes

They should come out slightly on the surface, but chewy (almost like meat) on the inside.

I love the stuff

>slightly on the surface
slightly *crispy on the surface

I buy packets of deep fried pieces from a chinese supermarket all the time. You can just slice them and add them in stir fries. Pic related.

I also found a little place called fujiwara that makes/ fries its own tofu and that shit is even better than the packaged stuff, but the shop isn't that close to me.

paneer is delicious too

i think i used it in an fruity protein bar recipe once. they were bretty gud for the camping trip i went on

Not generally. I do love mapo dofou though, god tier Chinese food memesters haven't ruined yet. I am worried szechuan food will be a future meme though

I'll eat it cold with shoyu and furikake for breakfast occasionally

I use tofu in stir fries, ramen, sometimes cold/raw with zaru soba.

It's great.

Why the fuck do you care about what neckbeard faggots have to say on this shit board?

If you're lucky enough to get or make mapo tofu that's tasty, then who cares?

The tofu brand that I gets pretty crumbly if it's fresh out of the packaging. I usually give it a 30 second heating in the microwave and then put on some pepper and soy sauce.

Filling and simple

Soondubu is God-Tier

It's alright. I'm not great at cooking with it, but it can be really good when someone who knows what they're doing is preparing it.
It's a lot better than the other "fake meats" like seitan and all that.

Tofu isn't fake meat. It's tofu. Don't treat it like meat. In fact, you can have it with meat, and it's even better.

>tfw fucking vegans try and substitute meat with tofu
>totally ruins god-tier tofu for the west because of said shit attempts

Jesus Fucking Christ this is infuriating.

I wanna try tofu, it's a shame its rarely paired with meat in restaurant dishes, meaning I won't buy it

It's not just vegans who do that. Using tofu instead of meat is a staple of the Buddhist diet. It's just that it's not really necessary to do so. Buddhists don't think of it as "fake meat." Neither should you.

Growing up my mom used to cook tofu with ground beef and bok choy mixed with soy sauce on top of rice. So good.

Because bloody vegans turned it into vegan dishes even though it tastes best with meat

yeah, I can hardly find dishes on the net that doesn't make it seem like a vegan gimmick

I love stinky Tofu.

It is like the Cheese of the Tofu World.

I cut it kinda thin like slices of bread. Season based on what kind of taco I want. But I basically put them on a George foreman with a little weight on top to get them real dry..

Then thin slice red onions and jalepenos put lime juice in there and let that sit for a 30 mins.

Cook the meat cut it small, wrap with tofu taco add lettuce and lime juice garnish..

Low carb dish and cheap as heck.

>Arg! Those bloody vegans ruined *my* experience by eating the way they want for themselves!

Lots of dishes have been heavily bastardized when they came to the west, for all sorts of reasons.

You want to eat tofu with meat? A lot of restaurants will add tofu to a meat dish (or meat to a tofu dish) if you ask and are willing to pay a little bit extra.
Or, you can practice the best solution to
>why can't food be made the way *I* like it??
and cook it yourself.

Can't find a recipe that uses both tofu and meat?
Find a recipe that uses meat, find instruction for cooking tofu, and combine.
Find a recipe that uses tofu, find instruction for cooking meat, and combine.
Simple.

I'm not a fan of vegans. Too many of them whine about too much shit.
But there is nobody on God's green Earth who sounds like more of a little bitch than the average person whining about vegans. The solutions to your problems are always exceptionally simple.

>But there is nobody on God's green Earth who sounds like more of a little bitch than the average person whining about vegan.

But whinning over those are ok?
The amount of hypocrisy is mindblowing.

>bitch: waaah! vegans ruin everything! and their diet is soo bad! and why are there vegan options on my menu! vegetals are for girls! why can't they just eat their shit in silence, and not force me to eat like them, which has literally never happened?? ugh, I have to cook my own food because if vegans didn't exist all restaurants would make food exactly like I enjoy.

>me: dude, you're being exceptionally annoying. here's a simple solution to your problem.

>you: wow, you're both exactly the same! user, didn't you notice you're just complaining about complaining? Such irony and hypocrisy. I'm awfully wise and clever.

hurr durr, aren't you just whining about me whining about them whining? Isn't it an amazing amount of hypocrisy if anyone expresses disdain for anyone being a bitch?
Or, perhaps, are all of these situations not exactly the same?

I don't want it "added". I want a dish that was balanced around the inclusion of meat and tofu in the first place, it's not comparable

I fry my tofu and smother it in general tso's or sesame sauce.

I've tried making it a number of ways and it always ended up shitty until I made mapo doufu and really enjoyed it. Makes sense, as most of my attempts at cooking tofu in the past were japanese-style recipes and I don't really enjoy most jap foods that much to begin with. I fucking love sichuan food though, so it makes sense that I'd enjoy tofu in that style.

tl;dr tofu tastes like nothing but if you load it up with delicious chinese secret shit it's pretty gud. Also, who gives a fuck about deep fried tofu? Everything tastes good deep fried, it's no big deal.

mapo tofu, my fav tofu dish

Found this recipe the other day, looks bretty gud; I plan on giving it a try: thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/stuffed-tofu-hakka-style/

Yes user, he is quite silly.

No, you are silly. See what I did there?

one of my favourite comfy things to have in winter.