Bunker Food

The nuclear war is imminent and many anons are stuffing their bunkers to be ready for when the time comes. What food would you bring in a bunker?

Let's make two lists for a bunker without fridge and a bunker with fridge, for a time period of 3 months. If enough people contribute, an infographic can be made later.

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/all-emergency-food.html
shop.conserva.de/en/19-canned-cheese
oism.org/nwss/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rice and beans

That's very durable but, are the nutritional values enough? you don't want to be suffering from lack of some vitamin after 3 months, if you don't eat well, hunger will haunt you the whole time. I'm trying to balance to prevent this.

This is a draft of Low-Cost Food List (Yurop version):

Bunker Without Fridge:
>Crushed Tomatoes Sauce
Cheap. You can store many jars or bottles in a square meter and they last for two months once opened if the jars are pressurized or two weeks if you use a cloth and rubber band around the cap to stop air.
Recommended (3 months): 12-bottles/1-person

>Olive Oil
Indispensable for cooking many different things.
Recommended (3 months): 3-bottles/1-person

>Pasta (Dry/No Egg)
Also cheap, it lasts forever if kept in a place without humidity. Easy to cook and can be cooked in many ways.
Recommended (3 months): 12-kg/1-person

>Jams
Like tomato sauce, the dirability is high, especially for citrus-based jams. There’re many cheap brands.
Recommended (3 months): 12-jars/1-person

>Rusks
To eat with jams or alone.
Recommended (3 months): 9-kg/1-person

>Biscuits
Without creams. There’s plenty of choice and they’re cheap. Also goes well with jams.
Recommended (3 months): 9-kg/1-person

>Crackers
As snack food, it’s cheap and durable.
Recommended (3 months): 90-packs/1-person

Bunker With Fridge (and Freezer):
>Frozen Veggies
>Wurstels
>Carrots
>Cheese
>???

With a fridge the choice is much larger but there's to consider that the space is limited to the fridge's volume so it's still not easy. For example the food listed above has high density and can be stuffed relatively well.

The real question is, do you actually want to survive through a global nuclear war?

Not sure on the food storage, but fuel tablets/dry alc are an absolute must and you can buy hundreds for relatively cheap, and water purification tablets are helpful especially in the event of an actual nuclear fallout, they'd make external water not quite drinkable, but significantly less damaging, and deep well/ground water might be safer with them.

Really i'd argue you need to think about items for utility just as much if not more so than food. Especially in list. Olive oil is useful but without a proper heating element like a real stove you're gonna find it hard to boil or fry anything, which is why typically people stock on processed shit. frozen veggies is also a pretty bad idea without a working kitchen.

if you're worried about nutritional intake over the span of 3 months, I don't know what to tell you, 3 months is no where near long enough for the body to really start breaking down or dying assuming you have actual food, even if it's not meeting all of your dietary needs.

>Not sure on the food storage, but fuel tablets/dry alc are an absolute must and you can buy hundreds for relatively cheap, and water purification tablets are helpful especially in the event of an actual nuclear fallout, they'd make external water not quite drinkable, but significantly less damaging, and deep well/ground water might be safer with them.

For cooking, I was thinking about something like pic to use as fuel. There're portable cooking sets that can be connected to them, I first saw them at my grandpa's house years ago, I haven't checked by I believe they still make them. I'm not sure how many months a 50kg tank can last but I don't remember my grandpa ever replacing his tank.

For water, I wouldn't drink tap water, although there're many ways to purify it and reduce clorine I think it would be safer to just get bottle water, a person drinks 3 liters a day in average so for 3 months around 40x6 packs could be enough. If they're already in the bunker, I can assume they weren't exposed to nuclear radiation.

>if you're worried about nutritional intake over the span of 3 months, I don't know what to tell you, 3 months is no where near long enough for the body to really start breaking down or dying assuming you have actual food, even if it's not meeting all of your dietary needs.

Well yeah I guess there're many downsides to worry about nutritional values at times like these, still, if one can get them beforehand, it doesn't hurt to get them, maybe I should completely drop the fridge idea though.

>Really i'd argue you need to think about items for utility just as much if not more so than food.
What tools would you include in your bunker's kitchen? I'm not sure what I should get besides the cooking set I mentioned before.

One can try m8.

^Forgot pic.

propane tanks are useful and will provide a flame but really in a time of crisis you'll burn through 50kg of propane in no time at all, dry alc tabs bring water to a boil in the matter of about a minute and a half, and can be taken with you, which is the more important thing, because you need to move BEYOND the bunker at some point, when your shit runs out. Would you really want to lug around a gigantic propane tank even if it was still nearly full?

I'm currently looking into a affordable supplier for the swiss canned cheese their army uses. 25 years of shelf life.

Friend of mine brought me a can once as a gift. Was actually quite good.

>bugout bunkers
>one of the most ingenious marketing schemes ever created
>drive people into a frenzy thinking they will be the chosen ones to survive a nuclear fallout
>have them buy up all the canned and slow-cycling non-perishables before they expire
>corporate pockets the money to invest in their bunkers hundreds of feet below ground
>meanwhile suburban folks think they'll have a chance in their concrete basements stocked with beans

Here is the stove by the way.

At some point I would expect the government to help the citizens, by providing supplies while the country is being rebuilt, of course I don't expect them to go door by door but more like to set specific locations for people to go get food.

This is only if after 3 months they stopped dropping nukes of course, if not then it would be a big problem, maybe I should start to look at a 3 years period rather than 3 months.

Are dry tabs really that good? I've ever used them occasionally to lit the BBQ's charcoal.

One can dream. It's not like the war will last forever, right?

>25 years
I really hope the nuclear fallout wouldn't last that long but thinking about it, this is something that never happened before so there's no prior example... it's problematic. Do you know any brand name for this kind of cheese? I never heard of it so I'd like to take a look what kind of cheese it is.

Honestly even if the bunker had a fridge, I still wouldn't stock perishable goods. I'd just cook in bulk and store them in there. I feel like a vacuum sealer would be more useful

Yeah dry alcohol tabs can get a good half meter flame in the right circumstances. They're not gonna supply heat to a fucking wok or something, but for small tins/cans of soup, stuff like that? Absolutely sufficient. Even a skillet, really, will do just fine. And as you mentioned, it's a great firestarter.

other tools are stuff you'd take for granted. Canteens, glass bottles, jars (not necessarily for jarring or canning stuff, but most jars of things like jam come in standards denominations of, let's say, 16oz, giving you room to either drink or measure out liquids for preparing meals or other things like instant coffee if that's your bag).

I'm just thinking in terms of how you will manage AFTER whatever happened. You'll need to be prepared until you can manage to set up some level of infrastructure be it a community, a subsistence farm, whatever. You'll need stuff that really isn't too easy to come across. Now you might say "oh well you can make fire with two firesticks no problem", but in a nuclear environment you'll be lucky to find sticks at all, much less suitable, fibrous ones that can sustain friction without turning to ash.

Also, more importantly, if you DO maintain a bunker, fuel for generators is infinitely more valuable and should be priority over space for fuel for cooking. Unfortunate, but being able to see and heat yourself comes before hot food.

I'm getting into boring ass bunker retard stuff now though.

Food wise, things like hard tack are super easy, and you can bake fruit into them no problem, and they last, well, almost forever. Sugar, salt, pepper are also super important.

Pretzels, biscuits/cookies, peanut butter and jams of some sort all excellent choices, they keep exceptional lengths, powdered drink mixes (instant coffee, teabags, regular powdered drink mix) mostly for variety than anything else, even if you drink nothing but water, you'll appreciate it when you're in a damp basement for 3 months with nothing good coming.

>vacuum sealer
I used to have a cheap one of those, it was good for sandwiches and simple stuff like that, it can come in handy.

>glass bottles, jars
Coincidentally, since I eat jam and use tomato sauce, I have like 30 of each of these, because I felt it was a waste to throw them away.

>I'm just thinking in terms of how you will manage AFTER whatever happened
So you mean like if there's no more a government at all to support the citizens? that's a good point.

>fuel for generators
Now that you mention it, energy infrastructures will probably be targeted during the conflict so I guess I can't think electricity will be restored anytime soon even after the war ends. I've to look into generators as well.

>I'm getting into boring ass bunker retard stuff now though.
It's fine, more ideas will give more inspiration for other things.

>hard tack
I'm not that good at baking things but I'd like to try sometimes.

>salt, pepper
I use this in the picture when I'm cooking, mostly when I boil water for pasta or rice, half cube at a time, a pack of 30 cubes cost me around 2 euros. It could be a possible replacement for spices.

>powdered drink
I like to drink soluble chamomile, the one I buy comes with sugar included too. It costs 1,50 euros for 20 bags (1 bag for 0,2 liters cup).

If you really want to survive, you'll buy a gun, go to the shooting range every week and stock up on ammo. Or when the time comes someone else who did that will be enjoying your prep work.

>Yurop
>guns
It's not like I haven't considered the possibility that I would have to deal with hostile people during the fallout period but I don't have much choice. At best, I can 3d-print me something like a pistol or a crossbow, but that's more of the /k/ tier stuff, let's put it on hold for now.

for sure give baking hardtack a try one day when you're bored and got nothing in the oven. bisquick isn't available outside the US to my knowledge, but it's basically just a mix of dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, salt, and a little bit of shortening. it'll be sorta crumbly if you've got the right amounts in, but eyeball it, hardtack is basically just crackers. Worst comes to worst you waste a little bit of flour and salt.
And yeah, that sort of stuff is exactly what I mean for powdered drink/drink base. It's really popular in MREs the world over nowadays, though obviously MREs are a far cry from stockpile food, they're pretty good if you just so happen to pick some up a week before a bomb drops, they'll keep at the very least, and give some protein.

As for your picture, bouillon cubes are great, but definitely not a replacement for spices, regular salt, pepper, and sugar have such a huge variety of uses and are so dirt cheap it's just worth hanging on to some.

Obviously community should be the number one goal after fallout, but in that period between bombs dropping and being able to leave, having a decent supply of stuff is pretty useful. Especially if you need to barter for shit you don't have.

Costco sells Emergency Food.

costco.com/all-emergency-food.html

>spices, regular salt, pepper, and sugar have such a huge variety of uses and are so dirt cheap it's just worth hanging on to some.
True, after all without them I can't even bake anything in the first place.

>4k USD for 1 year.
Welp. I could as well just stock up on normal canned food for 5 years with that much money. I'm surely not gonna throw thousand euros on some unknown stuff like that.

Dried vegetables and dehydrated stock.
Dried fruit.
Dried meat
Dried fish
Loads of different flours
seeds
grains
nuts
legumes
dried milk (keep separate because it sucks up every smell)
dried eggs

Tons of water and a water purifier

Look into black powder guns if you need to, no one knows when the bombs will fall and many European countries don't regulate it.

Back on the topic you might want to look into green coffee beans as a barter and morale boost, they last 50+ years if sealed and stored properally. And black pepper corns,sugar, nutmeg is very, very shelf stable, not sure about anything else that has that sort of life.

It's not good stuff anyway, it's trashy name brand stuff that barely lasts a year anyway, it's meant for the "prepper" market, the people who actively consider the world under nuclear threat and actively rotate stocks in a bunker and really crazy stuff.

Really the most stuff you need is some water (palettes of 20floz/550ml bottles), salt (uniodized is optimal as it'll last, iodized is fine if you won't have iodine intake elsewhere), sugar.

water will last 2 or 3 years even in bottles if you opt for those as they're more available and cheaper as opposed to buying a large drum and purification kit, while the sugar and salt will last forever, though iodized salt has a recommended shelf life of about 5 years for some reason. purification kit is something you should opt for if you plan on setting up shop in your bunker or wherever, purification tablets are good otherwise, they'll let you scoop up groundwater like I mentioned earlier, strain it a few times through a rudimentary porous substance purification system, then plop a tablet in there and you'll have drinkable water.

anyway, makes a good point too, dried stuff is typically the way to go. nuts and grains last pretty much forever, though i'd say to skip out on the meats save for jerky. jerky will keep for a long while, but other regular preserved/dried meats will still go off in a matter of months, which means replacing.

>the "prepper" market
kek I thought so.

>dried stuff is typically the way to go
The only problem is that I've to dry it all by myself, because I've never seen stuff like that in local stores here and if they have anything similar it's usually expensive stuff.

For extended cooking it's not great unless you have nothing but unless you have everything precooked (which is entirely possible if everything is canned beans and such) it's only going to be heating things up.

Look for restaurant suppliers near you, the prices are very low but you need to get a lot.

Unless you live somewhere wet like Seattle it's easy to dry your own food.

Yeah, that's the hard part, but if you really want to give it a try, do it with some fruits. strawberries and apples are always good. stick em in a freezer until they're pretty much fucking rocks, take one nib out, thaw it. It turned black? They need to be in there longer. After they no longer turn black, store in proper freezer bags and you're good to go. That's of course not an extremely reliable way, and dry ice or vaccuum sealing (though that one's not really something most people have access to) are far more efficient and reliable.

Of course but if you're planning on doing extended cooking and have a cooking setup/kitchen capable of that anyway, you'd be better off with a propane tank like he mentioned earlier, I just think if we're talking a scenario where you've got SOME food for a couple months, then need to move out, being prepared with some lighter utility items like purification tablets, dry alcohol, matches obviously, salt, pepper, sugar, that stuff will be useful to absolutely every single person you ever meet. I think it's worth stocking up on them since they especially don't go bad.

Hell, oxygen absorbers too, dirt cheap, packs of a thousand for £70, will help keep packaged food for at least a bit longer. Or go to , they have pretty much everything you'll need for keeping food itself.

the dry alc is mostly just because like you said, in this sort of hypothetical environment, I think most people are gonna be more stocked with "what do I have in my pantry" as opposed to "good thing I prepared for this", and in those scenarios, a little pot is really all you're gonna need, to reheat and maybe "cook" some prepackaged stuff like mashed potato mix and maybe cook pasta in a small pot.

>restaurant supply
This. 5 gallon buckets of molasses going at 25 bucks for all the rum one can hypothetically drink if one were to hypothetically distill at home. I love my doggos and follow the law, Mr ATF

Just go to a fishing shop n buy a big ole crossbow nigga

>north americans thinking they will spend the rest of their lives living underground after the first (and only) day of nuclear war
>not preparing for mass immigration from north america to south america

Your goverment didn't waste their time during the cold war when they shaped Brazil to be the US safehaven.

Fall out won't be that bad, good thing is that it'll force tons of shit skins back.

About boiling water for rice/pasta, since tap water wouldn't be safe anymore for a various number of factors, extra bottled water would be needed instead. A method I use to cook pasta or rice saving a lot of water is cooking all in one pot, I usually go by eye though so I don't know exactly how much water I use, but I fill the pot no more than half a thumb depth, then put the lid on and let it heat up till it's boiling well. I've a glass lid so it's easy to check the boiling status.
Anyway, once it's boiling I throw half of a seasoning cube in it, wait a bit for it to dissolve in the water and then add 3-4 spoons of sauce. At this point I wait for it to boil again and throw in sausages, or carrots or frozen veggies, or anything I want to cook with it, after a while finally throw in the rice or the pasta, always closing the lid completely from start to end. Since I also go by eye when I decide the quantity of pasta/rice, I can't tell what's the right ratio of water/pasta I use but it's usually good enough, it ends up being adsorbed completely and everything is all well cooked and juicy.

There is probably a specific name for this method but I don't know it, some of you probably know what I am talking about. In the end, there's no waste of water and the water being used is very little, in comparison to the classic method of boiling the water with pasta or rice separately while cooking the sauce in a pan.

i have 750grams of biltong

thats all im gonna need to adjust to the scavenging cannibalistic life

i cna make that 750g last a while

just worred about my shits honestly

This! Make jerky/biltong; super easy, cheap, high in protein and lasts forever stored properly

how about some sausages? will they last long enough? I used to dry them ever since I was a kid, though I always ended up eating them just after two-three weeks at best (impatience).

i got 500g of biltong been sittin in my fridge the last like 2 years... i dont like the flavour.. but its still edible. if i ever start starving... its there...

winter is coming so, soon should be the ideal time to start drying meat right?

make a biltong box and just do biltong its easy as fuck. box with a light in it, a small PC fan in the side just to circulate air, and screen around any holes that bugs could get into. im sure u could buy one easy too.

How does biltong differ from beef jerky? What's your recipe? I'm going to be making some venison jerky and if your recipe looks good, I might make half biltong.

i dont even got a recipe honestly, i just sorta wing it each time. salt it, leave it a while, wipe it off, soak in vinegar, spice it up, hang it... just youtube it, thats what i did the first 4-5 times i made it. real easy stuff. i dont make it for taste asm uch as i just need protein in stick form and i like beef...

im pretty sure mine isnt exactly right though, sometimes it tastes a bit weird...

Dried fish (price in pic is crazy, should be $1 at most. Import them, I guess, unless you live near a good fishing spot)
Dried mushrooms (probably the same story as above)
Dried fruit (raisins etc.)
Sacks of rice (may need to import or find wholesaler)
Bags of potatoes (for growing later, not eating)
Tubs of protein powder
Tubs of vitamic C powder
Lard
Dried seaweed/kelp powder
Dried kale/kale powder
Tea leaves bought in bulk
Bulk sugar (horrible nutrition, useful for quick carbs)

Enormous amounts of:
Kimchi (should specify probiota on label)
Sauerkraut (should specify probiota on label)
Tea Eggs
Pickled Eggs (in vinegar)
Pickled Gherkins (add ACV to this if sterilized unnecessarily)
Apple Cider Vinegar (cloudy)

Fill a room with logs and kindling. But sacks of coal burn better for the space they take up.

shop.conserva.de/en/19-canned-cheese

Ss the best one I found so far. not 25 years. but 10 years plu is still solid. That price thought, I've bought gourmet cheeses for less...

While probably a waste of space...

Canned bread from the Second World War edible

"As the WELT newspaper already reported in July 2002, an 84 year old man found a box with 20 cans of bread from the Second World War. Eventually he gave these cans to the European Bread Museum in Ebergötzen (Northern Germany). The Food Surveillance Authority of the responsible district Osterholz-Scharmbeck examined the dark rye bread and classified it as "still edible". Experts were amazed. According to contemporary witnesses and experts the shelf life of canned bread is approx. ten years, nevertheless, even today, the indicated best before date is still only a modest two years.

So canned bread can achieve a shelf life of more than 50 years!"

Pickles, beef jerky, salmon jerky, beans in tomato sauce, canned tuna, canned dolmades, canned pastas, canned vegetables, pickled turnips, rice, pasta, jarred sauces, spices, a lot of alcohol, multi vitamins.

>Bunker threads on /k/, /pol/, /diy/ & Veeky Forums

what's happening guys?
Did I miss anything?

Search for Nuclear War Survival Skills from Cresson H. Kearny

It's a free USA government book from 1990 about surviving a nuclear war.
Chapter 9 goes about making food.

Also might be fun to check out, a Swedish guy bought an Air Command Centre/Nuclear Bunker and posts pics in /diy/

>Nuclear War Survival Skills from Cresson H. Kearny
oism.org/nwss/

I think the mountain king posted updates.

Some dude bought a mountain from the government and is building a massive bunker network underneath.

>veggies
Are you dumb? You want to save space while obtaining the right nutrients, just stock up on multivitamins instead.
>t. /x/ browser

>Some dude bought a mountain from the government
>You´ll never buy a mountain

Dude totally made it

>if you're alone you'll die

there goes half of Veeky Forums preppers

You can buy plenty of shitty land for cheapest, the problem is you need a lot of cash and time to do anything with it.

assuming corn chips and salsa lasts a little while I'd make sure to have some in my "bunker" so I can at least enjoy a little bit of "it hitting the fan"

>canned everything
>500 dollars of bottled water
>rice