Why are Germans so good at baking?

Roggenkruste, Brötchen, Brezel, Vollkornbrot, seriously, how did Germans get so good at baking?

(you)

They have been using the ovens since 1945

Because they share a border with Denmark

>Makes a Holocaust joke
>Gets the date wrong

Protip: the war was over in Europe by that time

Show proof

Le holocaust isn't a joke! It's current year!

They harvested almost everything from corn to wheat and had hard times in the past 400 years, also they tend to reinvent stuff from time to time and try new things to make them more suitable for different occasions.

The Brezel for example has 2 styles here: swabian and Bavarian.

For breakfast I prefer the swabian cause it has less salt on top,
If I eat a Wurst and have a beer I like the Bavarian better.

Germans simply know how to get shit done

Patrician breakfast.

>how did Germans get so good at baking?

Not trying to be an asshat, but the real reason is the Romans. Germany adopted much of the Roman food and drink when they were a colony under the dominion of the Roman Empire.

t. ancient history patrician

bavarian brezel 4 life binch

Chicken schnitzel is probably the greatest thing mankind has ever invented.

That's not even remotely close to what he said. Are you a retard?

This is a lie (((they))) keep pushing

Why, whenever someone even mentions the country Germany, does the thread have to devolve into Neanderthals raging about the veracity of the holocaust?

well thats why we also put it on rolls

Americans

what?

/pol/

Americlaps.

I ate a lot of these in Germany purely because they were so cheap and widely available.

Maxxed out oven skills.

Historically they had the best scales paired with German autism the ingredients are always me assured perfectly. I also beleive that the word for snack in German is literally bread time

my pet bunny really likes pumpernickel

i think its shit

YOU'RE SHIT

Brotzeit (bread time) doesn't mean snack but rather is used to refer to diner (could be any meal tho) that consists of bread with a variety of sausages, cheeses and pickled things

Is sauerkraut any good? I've always been repulsed by it, but I've started to develop adult taste and I've come around to other cabbage dishes (slaw, kim chi).

>Is sauerkraut any good?
Of course it is, but it's best when served fresh from a barrel.

if you like kimchi you will at least be ok with sauerkraut

>when they were a colony under the dominion of the Roman Empire

did that ever happen?
as far as i remember from history classes, the romans only managed to subduemall parts of southern and western germania, while the bulk of germanic lands that spanned large portions of northern and central europe were never conquered

put some caraway in this bitch, serve with fat sausages either nürnberger rostbratwürste or debreziner.

Like ruining Europe 3 (three) times?

No.

>fresh from a barrel

Huh? Sauerkraut is the very definition of "not fresh" since it ferments for at least a month.

I think he means straight out of its fermentation vessel, rather than a commercial batch which was made and then canned/bottled.

Agree wholeheartedly then, since I make my own. Commercially processed isn't even the same thing imo.

It's not too unrelated from the beer making capacity.

You can't be "good at baking". You literally just follow a recipe and put it in the oven. There is no skill or talent involved in following instructions.
I hate people who say they love baking instead of cooking, it's like saying they love being biked around instead of biking.

i live smack in the middle of swabia but i vastly prefer bavarian pretzels. go get fucked dude.

people on Veeky Forums are more easily triggered than your average tumblrite. it's true. they're rats in skinner boxes.

and then it spread. culture is neither static nor immobile.

Cause they can't build cars.

HOW MUCH DOES A CHALLAH COST?

Nothing comes close to a toasty, fluffy danish.

this might as well be a McChicken

Except you can, you know, love to bake by experimenting with ingredients. You don't always have to follow a recipe. I, myself, love to cook. My cooking research extends to "what goes well with what" and I make shit up from there. Creating new ideas always has me rushing home in excitement because I can't wait to try something new. I meal prep six meals at a time so I tend to make a lot all at once. Haven't made something I haven't found at least moderately tasty and everything is macro perfect.

>There is no skill or talent involved in following instructions.
and yet there are literally millions of people who cannot follow instructions.

please explain how following a recipe to cook a steak is different from following a recipe to bake a cake.

SCHNITZELHAUS???

Have german female friend. Mention how germans are suposed to be premier league baking
She says "meh, cinnamon in everything".

>cinnamon in everything
>german female friend

She's lying, No seriously, check her background. Something's very, very fishy about this.

So much this. When you are used to well made fresh Sauerkraut the canned stuff is just dreadful.

>There is no skill or talent involved in following instructions.

Agreed. But that doesn't apply to baking.

>You literally just follow a recipe and put it in the oven.

And here is where the ignorance shows itself. You'd be a pretty shit baker if you blindly followed directions. There are all sorts of variables that you have to recognize and account for to be a good baker, and that all comes down to experience. No set of instructions can account for it. For example:

Flour absorbs vaying amounts of moisture from the air. So to get the best results you have to adjust the amount of liquid you are adding to your dough to account for what is already present. Flour also varies in protein content. You can see this when you knead the dough. Depending on the flour, the humidity, and the temperature, you might add more flour or water. You might also knead for more or less time based on how you see and feel the dough respond.

The length of time the dough proofs depends on the ambient temperature. So does the baking time.

A "baker" that follows printed directions like a robot is a shitty baker.

To be honest, the german pastries are not as good as their bread and not on the same level as French, Italian or Austrian.
Still quite good and 'cinamon in everything' is just nonsense.

Either you're lying, or your friend is lying. It can actually be rather difficult to find something with cinnamon in it at a German bakery, especially if you don't want to settle for a simple bun or roll.

>seriously, how did Germans get so good at baking?

Because it involves an oven.