/Bacon Grease/

Anyone else save their bacon grease for cooking with later?

immediately cook my eggs in them

sure. put a dab in stew or soup, or when searing meat. gotta keep tabs on when you stashed it tho since it goes rancid after a while

Yes. My favorite thing to use is for is potatoes though. It tends to be pretty strongly flavored and I think it overpowers eggs

I put a little in with green beans.

I think I'd only use it for split pea soup and making a base for bloody marys.

How much bacon do you eat that it warrants saving the fat, fatty?

For me personally, I just pour all my grease into a jar and throw it out so I don't have to pour it down the drain.

It's good for carmelizing onions.

Hell yes.

smart. throwing it down the drain is just a plumbing bill waiting to happen. congealed grease + hair + dirt + burnt carbon etc can wreak havoc on your pipes

Oh, I'd say about everyone who lived before 1950, and anyone with a brain larger than a walnut, now.

I have never heard of people doing this until this thread.

sometimes I make beef tallow. don't really eat enough bacon to care

i have a bean can and a spaghettios can filled with it in my freezer. initially i started doing it bc my mom always did but she would just throw it away, i guess bc the grease could fuck up the drain. i always thought about using it for cooking but never have and now i don't have any empty cans to put it in

fuck you OP now i'm anxious about what i'm gonna do tomorrow with my bacon grease

Well, if you crawled out of your basement occasionally, you might have.

I'll pass.

wtf is beef tallow.

As far as i know bacon grease can keep for quite a long time if stored properly. Just so you guys know though, you have to strain out all the meaty bits to do this. Past a couple days of sitting out it will Go rancid.

Leave this board now

Of course, it would be stupid to throw it out.

Rendered beef fat.

Yeah. It's my main cooking fat. A few strips of side bacon yields enough to cook with for days. Sometimes when I cook more bacon than usual I'll use it for salad dressings or mayonnaise. I probably save about $50 on cooking oil a year. Not much, but whatever. It tastes pretty good. It feels like I cook it for the rendered fat, and the bacon itself is just a byproduct.

I wish I had bacon often enough to warrant holding onto it. I do collect cooking grease instead of pouring it down the drain, though.

Only time I really cook bacon is for carbonara, so I use the grease on the spot.

i save it to make gravy

I'm actually making fries in bacon grease now. Good stuff.

I filter mine through a coffee filter to make it keep longer and be a lil less prone to smoke.

How much grease are you using that you can't get by using the trimmings of a little bacon?

Yes. There's literally no reason to not save your bacon grease. Even if you don't cook a lot of bacon it adds up. If anything you can use it in most cases where you'd use oil or butter and you can save a little money that way.

I save it to cook it with my burgers or for the occasional scrambled eggs. I've also made some bretty gud tortillas with it.

Absolutely. I use it for making soups & gravies and for seasoning my cast iron skillet. I also mix it into ground meat when I'm making burgers or meatballs--it melts out of the meat during cooking while leaving the meat extra juicy.

no, not save it, but I cook bacon first, then my eggs in the bacon grease, then save a bit to rub onto my toast

my mom keeps hers in a can on the freezer door, doesn't go rancid in the freezer.

I don't save mine aside from cooking my eggs in it cus I don't have a second chest freezer and can't afford the space

Lmao sugar causes weight gain not fat Animal fats are healthier then soybean and most vegetable oils soybean oil causes fat to be stored in the belly..