Caramelizing Onions

Is it possible to caramelize white onions? I had a shit ton I needed used, so I'm attempting to caramelize them for french onion soup, but two hours later and not a hint of brown.

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M
foodorleans.com/miracle-5-hour-onions-caramelized-onion-recipe-28158146/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

use bacon grease

Git gud, made this two nights ago for the same.

Turn the heat up and/or stop stirring so much.

Also I hope you added butter or oil to the pot. The oil aids in heat transfer.

Gotcha, I've been stirring it every now and again, so I'll quit. And yeah, I had butter in there.

Use high heat and deglaze with water repeatedly.

It's counter-intuitive but they taste exactly the same as the ones done on low heat for long periods of time.

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M

Good luck man, and don't forget you need a ton of salt to balance the intense sweetness from the onions. I also recommend Worcestershire sauce, even if it would make a Frenchman sad.

Yes. It takes a long time if you do it slowly without the deglazing high heat method, which sucks btw

But it shouldn't take that long. if you still have no color on them you haven't even cooked out the water yet and need to turn up the heat. It should take about 40-60 minutes to caramelize onions properly. Depends a bit on the dimensions of the pan you are using and how full it is

Had a similar experience recently, after years of doing yellow onions no problem at home and in a couple different restaurants. Tried doing a few white onions at home a couple weeks ago for the first time because they were around and needed to be used and they were taking for fucking ever without taking on color.

Ended up adding some sugar/vinegar/spices and a splash of beer and calling it an onion compote. No clue what the deal is with white onions or if it's normal, but in my one experience with them the exact same thing happened, and I don't consider myself a beginner.

add salt and cover the pot. the salt draws out moisture and covering the pot increases the temperature. after a while, remove the lid and add some sugar. the sugar just helps them caramelize faster, or just caramelizes itself

This is the thread that made me realize you fucking people don't know how to cook.

How do you do it?

very light oil or butter, high heat to the smoke point of your medium. when it starts to burn you toss it, let the onion moisture come out, let it fry again to that point, toss until it's golden brown, sweet and carmelized. You don't use external crap, you use the onion to caramelize itself.

You're obviously an amerilard cook you imbecile. I use homegrown white onions for my french onion soup. Sprinkle a little sugar and cook, stirring on low for @ an hour.

You owe me money fagfuck, because I just gave you the recipe that will save your coke addled ass, a job.

Oh, I forgot. Your customers are ameritards.

Yo, you are just frying onions. That is not the same thing

>stupid amirilard
>just use homegrown onions and add a bunch of sugar

You're an idiot.

it literally takes at least 2 hours to caramelize onions and can take up to 5.

You guys are fucking idiots. Any fat will work as well as a decent helping of salt.Olive oil or vegetable/canola oil will be fine as well as unsalted butter. Unsalted butter being the best for flavor. Mediumish heat and agitate frequently. You dont want to cook the onions too quickly and burn the sugar like this dumbass.

Eventually, like a pretty long time honestly, like 20ish minutes at least, youll start to notice a pretty brown color developing. Thats the sugars actually caramelizing like you want.

no it doesnt.

2-5 hours your onions will just break down.

Have none of you fuckers ever made french onion soup?

im a noob to cooking

can you caramelize in nonstick

Yes it does and yes I have.
Fuck your oily fried onions.

From Michael Ruhlman:
>Plan ahead when making the soup because the >onions take a long time to cook down, from a few >hours to as many as five if you keep the heat very >low, though you need to pay attention only at the >beginning and the end.

Your coke-addledness is catching up with you dear "cook." Suggest a quick stop at the nearest NA meeting, you pretentious know nothing.

Forgive me, youre correct on the timing, however. youre 100% supposed to be using fat in there to help with the moisture.

This is thomas kellers recipe.

foodorleans.com/miracle-5-hour-onions-caramelized-onion-recipe-28158146/

That guy is a faggot and a retard

you can take that long if you want to, but it's not necessary or smart

I don't like the quick methods that have you repeatedly deglaze, because honestly you don't end up with the same thing, but taking 5 hours is just stupid

Which, we totally caramelize onions for a bacon jam that we make at my restaurant. Thats like an hour long process max.

Yes, I was going to quote Bouchon too, but I didn't have it on my tablet. I agree with the fat but you don't need that much if you sloooowly cook.

>I can afford coke.

which, render fat from lardons, caramelize onions, sherryvin and brown sugar and salt add the lardons back to the pot and stick blend that shit. Hilariously dope.

caramelize onions in rendered bacon fat*

>i can afford coke, cook says

One more reason not to eat at amerilard restaurants, as if there weren't enough.