Plating

>plating
I completely draw the line at the point where there's shit on my plate that I'm not even supposed to eat. I will straight up walk out of a restaurant upon receiving my meal

I also have a hard time with painted plates referencing the food I'm eating. If presented with one, I will kindly ask to have the meal transplanted onto a normal plate, and to stop being treated like a kid eating spaceship shaped cereal

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/WeWantPlates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sorry Chief, I'm callin it
>time of death 22:30 10/27/2016

>wants to be treated like an adult
>accomplishes this by stomping off after getting something he doesn't like, or throwing a temper tantrum until servers put his food on a plate that's acceptable

Do you request a bib and a bottle too, you big baby?

I thought making every single thing on the plate edible was part of some sort of chef code

You need some chewy fruit Lemonheads you butt struttin turkey

yeah but it's old enough that people try to be edgy by challenging it all over the place.

personally I don't see the point of fixing something that isn't broken so I still go by those old rules.

I saw pictures from some Michelin restaurant where one meal was served in a basket weave with fucking rocks and moss in it. Like pic related, and there's a chicken filet and some salad or whatever somewhere in there. Worst thing i've ever seen
>I still go by those old rules.
When you microwave pizza at home

I'm sure that was just a picture of an ornamental arrangement and you got trolled into thinking it was a meal

You've never been to a restaurant that gives a shit about plating. Fuck off. I agree with you, though.

twitter.com/WeWantPlates

The pictures included them them eating out of it. With a knife and fork
>restaurant that gives a shit about plating
If you give a shit about plating, you actually put it on a plate and keep it nice and simple. The ones where your food is brought out in a swinging hammock with hot charcoal underneath is just some pretentious art instalation

That's really just something within the haute cuisine movement.
A lot of chefs have adopted it as a part of their personal style philosophy even if they have nothing to do with haute cuisine because it does make some sense no matter who you're serving.
I want to make a restaurant where I disguise all the edible parts among a lot of inedible parts and make people hunt for their food at the table.

And they can hide their money in an inconspicuous place and make you hunt for that.

Fair trade off.

holy shit is europe actually like this?

>Go to restaurant
>On the table, regular knife and fork
>Friends order steak, soup and stuff.
>When dishes arrive, there is a steak knife next to the steak on the plate, and a spoon with the soup
Nobody would be upset here.

It's OK to have tools on the dish, some restaurant just use unusual ones, especially when de-structuring. Decoration should be edible though, apart from obvious ones like a cinnamon stick or a laurel leaf.
Destructuring and doing shit for novelty only is still arguably stupid.

I assume OP's pic is some kind of hard sugar cube you're supposed to lick, not chew, after dipping in sauce and is too hard to pierce with a fork.
Since it's not obvious, the Chef had to choose between having the servers explain that, and have patrons spit out the thing on their fork, or invent a convenient apparatus.
Some restaurant have the staff had to explain how to eat. Don't submerge your sushi in wasabi-muddy soy sauce before gulping it, or that you have to eat your dish from left to right because the flavours goes from light and delicate to overpowering for example. I'm not a chef (and don't remember exactly when I went to a Michelin years ago), but could be truffle espuma, then scallops carpaccio with truffle oil, then foie gras with truffle flakes, then a truffle macaron for the haters.
>Small portions on one plate, not touching each other, eating things separately in specific order.
I just realised I've been to a restaurant with an autistic chef.

>implying it's not just a continuation of a theme
>implying there aren't hordes of filthy rich just looking to throw their money at people for an experience with just a little more edge
you can see me in 2 years on the cover of Fine Cooking™

>yuropoors unironically will defend this

You should pay with a thousand dollar interpretive dance routine and then ask for your change.

I love when people who don't have passports give their informed opinion on foreign customs.

>ITT plebs who don't understand the difference between food and food art

>t. pleb who doesn't understand the difference between art and kitsch