Have you guys had absinth(e) before? I want some. Any recommendations?

Have you guys had absinth(e) before? I want some. Any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=etj6fPjmuaY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

french,swiss,czech are the famous producers, if you dont happen to live there find an onlineshop and check for comments.

Word. My local shop stocks some French and Czech brands but they're $70+ a bottle. Crazy as shit

Don't, just don't. American shit sucks, imports mostly suck, and it's overrated as fuck anyway.

OK, I still want to try it

It's a fun activity more than it's a good drink. Also it has absolutely no hallucinogenic properties. Definitely try it though, get the sugar cubes, the special spoon, etc. Pretend you're Dorian Gray

Okay, but don't bitch to me, and mix it with sprite to finish off the bottle after the disappointment.

Oh yeah, I'm more looking forward to trying it with some buddies. I have the spoons sitting in my Amazon cart ready to go. I am aware it's noon hallucinogenic buy that doesn't bother me, anise flavored liquor sounds great and I would love to see the proper louching

Checked

The is the happiest day of my life

Yes. The novelty wears off quickly, like before you finish the bottle.

It's usually just a very strong aniseed liquor.
If you don't like Pastis, you wont like absinthe.

That said...
youtube.com/watch?v=etj6fPjmuaY

I think they are not allowed to use the hallucinogenic substances any more so it's basically some high vol% herb booze now. Kinda tasted like toothpaste to me.

If you want the real deal you might want to make it yourself or buy it off the record.

That's a good call, I should probably pick up Pastis first since it's cheaper and therefore not as committal. Thanks!

Even the original was never hallucinogenic. People thought it was, but it wasn't true. The supposed "active ingredient" is Thujone. It's "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA, and you can find it in VERY high concentration in sage oil--literally thousands of times stronger than the "good old absinthe". It does nothing. The only thing that is mind-altering in Absinthe (any of it--old or new) is the alcohol concentration.

Mmm, I love Lime Jello

I had a little once
But I'm allergic to alcohol

Try Pernod or Becherovka instead

old absinthe was in fact hallucinogenic. it include foxglove, mandrake, amanita, and some other shit.

the mind altering part was the fact that they were high as fuck on opium while they were doing it

absinthe is literally the non alcoholic beer at teen parties of the 19th century. drink some and act all loopy because you're feeling what you want to feel

As anise-flavored stuff goes, it's pretty good. I'd rate it over ouzo, but not as good as Sambuca.

It's nice with just some icewater, it changes to this milky color. Yeah, I tried that with sugar on a spoon thing, setting the alcohol on fire. Well, just because you have to try it one time atleast.

go czech

I really like that vid, thanks

Becherovka is the shit

Make your own, it's no fun without all the poisonous stuff in it

Go for it, it's a pleasant experience. If you're going to do it, though, I'd recommend going the whole way. Get a good bottle from France or the Czech Republic, get a proper spoon, and some sugar cubes.

I haven't had any in a while, but I used to drink it semi-regularly. It feels different than any other buzz, I was more focused but loose at the same time. Also my face invariable went numb.

Good times.

Czech Absinthe is not real absinthe. It is wormwood liqueur. OP, get yourself a bottle of Lucid. It is decent and you might be able to find it locally. Louche with ice water and use sugar if you want.

Lucid is one I have locally, I considered it but hears mixed reviews. I'm more inclined to pick it up as a first bottle though.

Don't drink half a bottle pure on your own, and pass out in your buddies toilet.

Makes a decent incense when burnt. Otherwise would never consume it.

Just drink a bottle of mouthwash.

>Lucid
May as well be drinking soda at that point.

Give Pernod a try. It's not stupid candy sweet like some of the more recent brands that are made to be had as part of a mixed drink.

I have heard great things about pernod. If it's not as sweet, I'd prefer that over something like lucid. I can't take overly sweet shit anymore. I know my local shop has Pernod anyway for like $60 though

I've had it a couple times.
It was more entertaining having it lit on fire in front of me than actually drinking it.
The actual drink just tastes like licorice.

Even if you didn't like it it'll just look cool to have a bottle of green liquor on the shelf. Do it man, lil to lose

Lucid is shit. At least try to find Kübler. The European version.

I still believe, no matter what people say, that a secondary different effect can be found in proper absinthe from time to time. Add to that some poetry from artistic dirt poor bohemian people and you can easily see where the exaggerated 'dude hallucinogenic' modern understanding comes from.

Protip: [spoiler] I have felt the secondary effect from European Kübler but not from every bottle, and one but not exactly similar effect from Peré Kermann although the latter is a very nasty brand indeed [/spoiler]

>half absinth
>half mint liqueur
>mfw

Op here, thanks guys I really appreciate all the help and suggestions; even from the assholes. Can't wait to get some now

Great Lakes Distillery out of Milwaukee makes a great, very reasonably priced absinthe.

Be forwarded though, Absinthe is not hallucinogenic. It never was.

I think the hallucinations were the delirium tremens, alcohol withdrawal.
We're just confused about the meaning of "absinthe give hallucinations" it means that it's harder to get addicted to this point with wine or beer compared to strong liqueur.

That, and the rare cases where some idiot put beladonna in the plant mix, or the stuff had too much methanol because of cheap shitty distillation and poor hygiene. Maybe rye ergot fungus too. But the sensationalist media of the time went crazy when a few dozen bottles were surprisingly hallucinogenic and people got hurt or killed. Laws were passed to please the pleb and get re-elected.

>I think they are not allowed to use the hallucinogenic substances
lmao wormwood isn't even hallucinogenic,

fucking morons

Quads have been forwarded.

I'm pretty sure Absinthe is illegal.

Try a drug dealer.

>Absinthe is illegal
Looking forward to getting back to school next week, Champ?

This. Also, absinthe was the drink of choice of opium smokers and dissidents in Europe.

It's association as a hard drug is because the people who drank were mostly druggies and edgelords to begin with. The absinthe itself is and has always been regular alcohol, but it was part of a subculture where people did six different drugs at once.

Fantastic. Do they ship? I'm in Florida and will not go to Milwaukee for booze lol. (OP btw)

This. It's just a strong drink, The effect is no different from any other spirits.

I was checking them when you called