Does alcohol relieve anxiety?

Does alcohol relieve anxiety?

Temporarily. But then it's back with a vengeance. Anxiety is a common symptom of alcoholism.

Fuck.

Just stay drunk, dumdum, eventually you'll kill that anxiety.

Yes. I might have a glass or two to calm the nerves sometimes

Best cure for anxiety is to change something in your life for the better and stay busy working towards that thing. Idle hands are the devil's plaything, like the old saying goes. Once you've changed your life considerably, you'll look back at the anxious time in your life as a time of indecision or error.

this

personally i'm a europhic drunk but at the same time i get really dark and anxiety ridden hangovers. over time the hangovers have taken their toll, i have a stress related stomach problem that i reckon is alcohol related. so yes in the short-term, long-term it makes you worse

alcohol and benzos both work on the GABA receptor in your brain. Since they function similarly, and you're only supposed to be taking benzos during panic attacks, we can assume that alcohol would function similarly to subdue a panic attack. I wouldn't rely on either for general anxiety though.

Alcohol relieves Working Liver Syndrome.

It does as long as you don't stop.

I'm one month sober in a few days. Alcohol made my life unbearable due to the anxiety I would get afterwards.

no anyone who says otherwise is a fucking alcoholic fuck like me but in denial

This. Anxiety, depression etc. It helps when you drink but the next day you will feel way worse than before.

As someone who has suffered from anxiety over a long time, alcohol is probably the worst coping mechanism for it.

You will start relying on it really fast and your non-drunk coping skills will degenerate even more. The hangovers will actually make the anxieties even worse which in return will make you drink again. A lot of alcoholics became such because of anxieties, so don't fuck around with it.

If you want to get anxieties in check, get a better mindset and leave your comfort zones regularly. That's the only real way that works. Read up on stoicism, especially Epictetus.

I love it and I hate it , I tell myself all the time i wanna quit.

The worst is for me its all or nothing , when I start drinken I always go on a binge

The anxiety is gone as long as you are drunk. It will be worse when you sober up

t.acoholic

Same.

How long/much did you drink?
How did you quit? Cold turkey, weaned yourself off?

Anxious/ Depressed Alcoholic here.

Finally started taking recovery seriously. Been sober 251 days. Gained about 30 pounds in the process. Know that your anxiety/depression will manifest itself in other ways if you do not focus on it.

Treat the source. Not the symptom.
Your alcoholism is the symptom. Not the problem.

Yes unfortunately
the only trouble is not hitting the bottle every night, despite the wonderful placid calm that comes with a strong gin and juice
halfway into the first drink all the exercise aches melt away and I start to giggle at music I'm playing or what fourchan is saying

And yourself.

It absolutely does. The only time I actually feel alive is when I'm drinking.

Yep it does. But it's not the solution
>be me 43 married four kids
> drink 375ml hard plus a few beers per night
> make a ton of money at my job
> wife always mad at me
>alcoholic for sure
> functional never miss work
Bottom line it does at a cost

So I had an alcohol free day but I'm already thinking of going to buy a bottle for today and then quit on Monday. Bored out of my mind and it feels weird not starting a new personal amendment at the start of a new week.

this. Welcome to the rollercoaster.

Anxiety comes back when you're sober. Therefore, never sober up.

Well done, user. I'm on Day 9. Went quite a few days before that as well, and two and a half months this summer. I'm going to try a full year now.

it postpones anxiety

URsmart. Hold MY HAND thru lifE?

It doesn't make me anxious but it does make me depressed. I haven't been drunk in about half a year because I started to have seriously dark thoughts while drunk.

For me, YES. Alcohol takes my insanity away. It gives me confidence I can not otherwise find in myself. Alcohol got me with my ex 7 years ago, and it got me with my wife 2 years ago. I love it and I will not let it go. Depending on the stomach of the person, and the mental state and perhaps other factors... alcohol can bring you to euphoria. I get it but it takes a large quantity and about 6 hours worth. But I get it and I love it, intensely. I'm there now.

6 years. Been to detox centres three times. Once this year. Tapered down this time though but decided fuck it and cold turkeyed for three days of agony and mixed emotions. I have no idea I had that much willpower to follow through but I made it. Not going to say that I'll never drink again but I want to change my life. I've been using all different kinds of drugs over the years and nothing has a slow tricky pull like alcohol does. Nothing. it's easily the worst withdrawal but I hear benzos are worse.

Never use booze to treat mental problems. I'm bipolar, I learned this the hard way.

One of the better posts, ever.

For some people it does but not for me. I feel my heart rate rise right away and it just makes my anxiety worse. I'm working on getting my anxiety under control with diet and exercise and have lost a little bit of weight so far but the anxiety is still debilitating. I'm seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow so maybe things will be different. Also, never accept zoloft for anxiety unless you want depression, nightmares, and suicidal thoughts.

If you are looking for anxiety relief then I would recommend kava over alcohol any day. Just make sure you get good quality noble root.

YES. I USED TO HAVE ANXIETY ATTACKS WHEN WE RAIDED THE CHRISTIANS! ALCOHOL HELPED ME FIGHTING WITHOUT FEAR OR FEELING PAIN. OR MY LIMBS. praise odin ok.

This. Drink only for fun, otherwise it will get only worse.

animata muscaria also helped them with that.
OP, you should look into eating some of those animata muscaria mushrooms.