Non stick/stainless steel/ ceramic/copper/cast iron/carbon steel/anodized/anything else I missed

Non stick/stainless steel/ ceramic/copper/cast iron/carbon steel/anodized/anything else I missed

What's the difference in regards to cookware?

Other urls found in this thread:

centurylife.org/a-no-nonsense-guide-to-cookware-materials/
forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/
etsy.com/listing/229225881/25mm-pure-solid-silver-999-frying-pan#
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

carbon steel > cast iron > ceramic > copper > stainless steel > aluminum > teflon

They're all different tools for different jobs.

Nonstick: For foods that tend to stick easily. Cons: can't put on super high heat, can't use metal utensils in it.

Carbon steel/Cast iron: Good general purpose stuff. Ideal for very high heat use, searing, etc. Cons: needs to be seasoned, can't just toss it in the dishwasher.

Stainless: Easy to care for, also great for when you want to create a fond to deglaze later. Cons: none, really. Unless you're a moron who tries to flip the food too soon, in which case it will stick.

Copper: has very fast reaction to temperature change. Useful for delicate sauces that require careful heat control. cons: Expensive. Tarnishes (which you may or may not care about). The old-school types require periodic retinning of the interior coating.

Anything else: gimmicky bullshit you should pay zero attention to.

>anodized aluminum
>gimmick

u wot

>supports nonstick bullshit
>leaves out anodized aluminum

centurylife.org/a-no-nonsense-guide-to-cookware-materials/

Also there are plenty of options out there for cookware layered with different materials.

The reason why Anodized aluminum is a bullshit gimmick is:

a) All aluminum cookware is anodized whether they say it or not, yet for some reason people think "anodized" means something special.

b) It doesn't do anything better than any of the aforementioned. It's another choice, sure. But it offers no advantages so why consider it?

You left out solid silver

Aluminum will give you alzheimers. It isn't foodsafe. Almost as bad as using nonstick.

He never really claimed that anodized meant anything special, but it's interesting you assumed he did.

I don't like it much either because you still need to grease it when cooking something like a chicken breast, but an advantage might be that you don't have to worry about scratching the finish off of it.

Stainless steel with an aluminum core is the GOAT.
If you use nonstick you are 100% plebeian.

Anodized aluminum doesn't leech, you rere.

You forgot CorningWare.

It seems as though everyone here has been putting too much stock into what they've read on the internet.

1) You can get quality non-stick pans that can handle high heat and metal utensils. I have a Calphalon skillet that is good to 500 degrees and okay to use with metal utensils, and has a lifetime warranty.

2) There is more than kind of anodizing process out there. Type III (hardcoat) anodizing on higher quality cookware has been a staple of commecial cookware for probably 50 years. This is actually what Calphalon made their name in.

tl;dr - don't generalized based on the lowest quality shit out there

Is corningware the best?

yes

He's talking about the nonstick anodized aluminum you retard, the kind that can withstand high heat and isn't teflon.

You seem to be a little confused. "Nonstick" anodized aluminum is nonstick because it uses PTFE (teflon) in the anodizing process, or otherwise has a PTFE coating on top of the anodizing. Regular hard anodizing does not have nearly as good of release properties as the ones with nonstick coatings.

Carbon steel is the king.

Everything else is shit.

>tfw have a carbon steel pan
>old stove didn't heat up evenly, so it had to be replaced first before handling high temps
>new stove is finally here
>it doesn't fit
>have to wait another day till the necessary equip is here to make it fit
>all I want is to finally experience its greatness
life is suffering

Stainless steel is just better.

Why does Veeky Forums believe in myths about teflon? That's embarassing.

Measure dimensions before you buy, cu/ck/

It was my landlord. But yeah, you're right, he probably should've taken measurements of the internals, not just the externals, because it fits on top, but it won't snap in, as it's about 0,7cm too tight.

There are a ton of people on here who also believe MSG, soy, and GMOs are evil. Veeky Forums is full of mouth breathing food blogger subscribers and conspiracy theorists.

Enamel is different from ceramic (ceramic sucks, it's usually still plastic but worse at being non stick than teflon).

There are both meme iron and carbon steel versions of enamel pans.

>calling others plebian when you think clad aluminum is goat
For anyone whos willing to put in a bit of thought and reading, I really recommend going through this:
forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant that clad aluminum is GOAT when it comes to cost-effectiveness. Clad copper is better, but usually not enough to justify the price.

Maybe if you can't afford silver

etsy.com/listing/229225881/25mm-pure-solid-silver-999-frying-pan#

If you're looking for even heat with a carbon steel pan I've got bad news for you

The pan itself wasn't the problem. It was a really old electric stove, we're talking 20 years plus, and the only large panel heated up in about 30 seconds in the back, but like 1-2 minutes in the front. I was really too scared to use a new pan on it, as it might get warped at higher temps. Happened to my old aluminium pan as well.
Funny thing is, you can see the different heat distribution on said pan, as the side with the handle looks like new, while the other one is burned as fuck (on the outside, not where the food is)

There's a reason they make carbon steel pans so thin.

Steel simply doesn't have the thermal conductivity to heat up evenly, even with a decent cooktop
Thinner means less even ya dingus

That may be, but as long as it doesn't damage my pan that's not a problem for me.

Aluminum is anodized for sealing. Raw aluminum is subject to chemical reaction when using salt, citrus, vinegars, or sugar, anodized aluminum does not allow this corrosive reaction.

I've used high heat with nonstick all my life. How fucked am I?

Probably taken a few chemicals into your body that you'd rather not.

Might be slightly statistically more likely to get certain cancers, but as long as you stop (and also make sure that your coating isn't scratched or cracked), you're probably fine.

They've usually been somewhat scratched. I've been slowly switching over to stainless steel after hearing about this.

It's so dumb. I can't believe that that's even a thing.

You'd be hard-pressed to come by any non-stick pan today that still uses a PFOA formulation. The issue is pretty overblown.

If I primarily want to cook soups and stocks, my best option would be a stainless steel stockpot with an aluminium or copper base, correct?

Heat distribution matters bugger all for soup, the liquid will distribute the heat much better any way. Stainless steel is the standard, enamel on carbon steel is the smart choice.