Favorite non-traditional kitchen tool

Post your favorite kitchen tool that you wouldn't find in every kitchen. Pic related is mine, I use it mainly for checking oil/pan temp before putting steaks down, for example. Saves you from soggy crust if you're frying anything breaded

yeah I use my temp guns all the time for all sorts of things. they're very handy.

gonna add cheap bamboo skewers as a good thing to have around

agreed, I use these for sewing together chicken breast for cordon bleu whenever that's the dish of the evening

>Anonymous
If this is a tool, then Pepper mill. Pepper are supposed to be used freshly grounded. Not that store bought crab.

High-powered blender.

I bought a Vitamix a couple years ago. I got kind of caught up in the hype, seeing people talk about it online, and then I was working in a bar that used one and saw how powerful it was.

Immediately after dropping $400+ on it, I thought I was going to have buyer's remorse. I've used it almost every day since then, and have zero regrets.

If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a different brand, since other high-powered blenders can apparently be as good, but are often less expensive ($300+ or so, while I've seen my model going for $500ish lately), but I've certainly got the money's worth out of it.

Memes aside, this is pretty handy. People bang on about how good salmon, steak and veges are from this, and yeah, that's true - but that's kind of a hassle.

I prefer it's economic uses. Large roasts that are finished on the stove, grill or in the oven are wonderful, but some of the alternate uses are what I love.

As a yogurt maker using a double pot method (pot in a container) it's worth the price alone (immersion circulators aren't really that pricey), but then it does amazingly simple pickles and even when canning it works great to keep your jars warm.

ITT: nobody understands what non traditional means. For me it's a hammer/chisel, I use it to break down large cubes of frozen bone broth into useable pieces.

>kitchen tool that you wouldn't find in every kitchen.
>every kitchen

My pressure cooker is fucking magical

My rice cooker.

I use it for many things, but the fact that it can make perfect rice every time completely unattended is a god send for the lazy chef.

fucking this.

Fuck English units. I want 15 goddamn milliliters of oil and I'm gonna get it EXACTLY

Fine then, it's my saucepan because there are dorm room "kitchens" that consist of a microwave and a crock pot

Perfect for tenderizing tough meat!

I had chicken fried steak for the first time the other night, I'd definitely get that

Sounds good, but what do you usually use it for?

I use it for a ton of stuff.

First, it does the same general things that a regular blender does, but better. I make a lot of green smoothies, and whereas a traditional blender will leave fiberous stuff kind of chunky, my vitamix makes them smooth as silk. Pretty much anything you'd do with a regular blender is better.

I also use it to grind grains and beans into flours.
I blend nuts into nut butter.
I can blend sesame seeds into tahini, but I usually just buy tahini instead, since it's around the same price as sesame seeds.
I will dehydrate herbs and herbs and extra veggies, and use the vitamix to powder them.
I make a lot of dips and sauces based out of cashew cream, now that it's really easy to make.
I actually use it in the production of nearly all soups and sauces, since I can make most of the ones I use from scratch and get them exactly as smooth as I want now.
I'll make some gooey date fillings for sweets in it, since my food processor isn't powerful enough to get something so sticky and thick smooth.
I make a few different baked bread products out of soaked and blended lentils and seasonings, and they used to be kind of weird and chunky before baking, but now they are perfectly smooth for a more even and consistent post-bake product.

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I'm missing. I really do use it probably 5+ days a week.

Making vegetable based smoothies sounds really nice. Thanks for the explanation.

What actual difference does it make, though?

It goes stale quickly.
Looses it's potency quickly.

Taste them side by side. Pre-ground is so bland compared to fresh.

Fresh ground has a more sharp[ and spicy flavor to it

Thanks, that's good to know.

Kitchen scale, indispensable for baking.

I don't think I've ever been in a kitchen that didn't have a pepper mill. Are they uncommon in some places? Canadafag, btw.

Should I get this thing over this thing for tenderizing meat?

a gray kunz spoon.. spoons are ubiquitous in kitchens, but if you see an arsenal of these in the kitchen utensil area then you know you're in good company.

a close second is the sauce mop

from a production point of view, immersion circulators are an essential piece of equipment for any serious kitchen..

why would anybody ever poach eggs for brunch manually when you can poach them in their shells 200 eggs at a time, ensuring each egg is PERFECT every time while requiring 1/10th the effort?

This little fucker here
Perfect for eggs.
>perfect size for sammaches
>cute little omelets
>neat looking eggs
>cooking just a single burgah patty to prevent myself from being a fat peice of shit
>when im making something in the oven or something else and all I need to cook in the pan is little things like onions
>god teir pancakes
>cooking tiny bits of meat and stuff to put into instant noodles
just the little things where a normal sized pan would seem like too much

fuck.
I meant egg sammaches
No way it would do anything for just a normal sandwich

Sauce mop?
please enlighten me

you dip it in sauce, and mop your meat with it.
It works good for getting the right amount on a piece of meat.

The Jaccard is for needling (tenderizing).
The cuber will only accept a certain size of meat (about 1/2 inch) and gives a thinner end product (about 1/4 inch).
The cuber is a pain in the ass to clean, as well.

There's nothing I can't do...

Laser thermometer, Pepper Grinder, Kosher Salt, and an industrial grade vegetable peeler.

I get shit done.

I've been looking for a good grinder recently
nothing I have found has a fine enough grind
any suggestions?

I bought mine on Amazon and you can control the grind from fine to coarse.

pressure canner

love that thing

dont feel like taking a picture

also this stone is pretty nice

user, those are highly illegal. There is s u pposed to be at minimum a single round's length of barrel remaining and these barely have any barrel left. This is a hazard to whoever fires the gun.

Nice trips though.

Why the fuck doesn't that have a base?

It's like a bowl and pestle. I'm triggered somehow.

I mean it's pretty, but it looks antiquated. Like something made by primitives

Pic related, mine, not as lazy. I'm sure yours isn't like the one in the pic but at least Google a decent one. Lighter placed for scale.

I bought one of these almost a decade ago to use outside the kitchen. It slowly moved into the kitchen and then never left.

Why

You do know that they make in bottle grinders now right?

This, I love sous vide
I got an anova but it cant even read the temperature correctly. I'm going to refund it and wait for the Joule

shh let him feel smug

Useful for checking whether you're eating fast food or not.

He still has a point. Fresh ground pepper is infinitely better than pre-ground. They might as well be completely different spices.
Doesn't matter if it's McCormick or the rarest pink spotted peppercorns from the Himalayan Andes.