Hello Veeky Forums

Hello Veeky Forums
My name is J. And I've just started a chef's apprenticeship a month ago and starting today I want to share my progress with you and have you join me on my journey as I gain knowledge and experience in the culinary arts. So once a week I'll post any dishes I've made, I'll even include pictures of the prep; photos from cooking school and share any stories that have happened throughout my week. Feel free to join in and just have fun. This is what this board is all about so I'll hope you'll join me.

Tuck in!

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/moroccan-spice-blend-109356
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So to start this was my first day inside the kitchen at school. This photo is just standard precision cuts and knife skills. We've got Jardiniere, Macedoine, Julienne, Paysanne; all your basic cuts.

This picture is a potato after turning which is a pain in the ass considering I had to use a paring knife to do it. Need a turning knife just because they're handy.

Any tips are always appreciated.

Tomato concasse

Fine chopped parsley

Croutons and bacon lardons

Garlic and herb bread

Orange segments which I also found to be a pain in the ass, I just couldn't get the hang of it, I was cutting too deep which made the pith come out with it.

And we ended that lesson on lemon wedges, so yeah, I started out doing some basic techniques and stuff which is what you do when you're a padiwan but it was a good day. Prior to this lesson everything was theory and homework but I knew once I got in the kitchen I'd be in my element.

Whether of not I get any replies in this thread I'll be back later to post more pics. My partner and I are trying our hands at vine leaves coupled with hummus and lamb cutlets so once they're done I'll post pics of the process and the plate up if this thread is still alive.

This was also the main at the first dinner party I had, its a veggie and haloumi stack.

Nice work, OP

Thank you user. Appreciate it.

Just for you here's the entrée that wen with that main. On top is crumbed zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta and goats cheese and under that is cauliflower steaks seasoned with curry powder. I was inspired to do a vego meal after my mentor told me that vegetarian meals are delicious, they just need to be done properly.

your chef as well as you are shoemakers.

i suggest you take up something like construction or ditch digging

I'm an apprentice for a reason dude.

im just fucking with you buddy, keep up the good work

Haha, thank you. Its something I love doing, I only aim to improve.

No one cares, J.

Jackposter pls go

All my ingredients for tonight. Mint leaves, parsley, tomatoes, vine laves, pomegranate molasses and long grain rice served with lamb cutlets and homes with tahini.

Reason why I'm choosing this is because my girlfriend is middle eastern and she's missing the food from home. My mentor told me not to cook arabic food for an arab because no matter how good I make it, it'll never be good as her mothers or grandmothers, but instead of being dissuaded by this I took it as a challenge instead. I'll keep you posted on how I go.

>My partner and I

OP is a faggot

but a cool faggot, like Freddie Mercury

Haha. Thank you user. Negative compliments are still compliments.

I'm just creating a webm of me creating fruit caviar. My first day in the kitchen it was learning Mirepoix and counting broccolini and then the following day I was doing molecular gastronomy. I fucking love this industry.

No luck creating a webm but here's a screenshot

You're an Australian. Don't say you aren't, because I'm an electrician, and I know for a fact that style of power point/outlet is only sold in Australia.

If she's middle eastern, you should make a couscous dish, but I guess it depends on which part of the middle east she comes from.

Nice spot. If asked I wasn't going to deny I was Australian but shitposting aside I've already done her French trim lamb cutlets with chick pea puree served on Lebanese bread. She was pretty happy with it. I'll post pics if I can find it.

Zested lemon, next finely chop parsley

cool stuff, user

What do we reckon Veeky Forums? Fine enough?

Vine leaves

Nice stuff you doing this on a daily basis or what?

Holy shit OP, this thread brought me some good ol' memories!
I did chef apprenticeship school about six years ago. I was so happy and so full of energy, full of ideas and creativity.

Keep it up J., don't let your dreams be dreams.

Thinking about doing a thread once a week, gives me time to accumulate photos, stories, recipes and what not.

I'm glad I made you feel that way user and I won't. I have a pig headed stuborness to be the best.

Nice thread j keep us updated with your progress m8

>I was so happy and so full of energy, full of ideas and creativity.
>I was
>was
Now you're an empty shell

Thank you my friend. I plan to. Glad everyone is enjoying this thread

So far so good.

Also as a homage to the eternal cat blogger I'm gonna post kitty pictures from time to time. If you see this thank you for inspiring me to make this thread.

Head chef doing her thing.

Not bad for a white boi

Neat.

Thank you. Its been a long and grooling process but the rolls are done. Time to boil.

Final product ladies and gentlemen. I give you vine leaves served with lamb cutlets.

Angle two.

Breddy gud. I used toasted fennel seeds with the lamb so the sweetness from that contrasted really well with the acidic bitterness of the wine leaves. Presentation could have used some work.

But hope you liked it. I enjoyed this thread so I'll be seeing you all next week. - J.

What are those white discs?

Looks good, but the potatoes are out of place. Potatoes aren't exactly a middle eastern thing. Tabouli and couscous would have been better to accompany the rest of the dish.

Nonetheless, nice job. You live and learn.

Sliced potatoes.

Thank you, it was good experience. I agree with the potatoes but my girlfriend insisted, must be something her family does.

Looks great

Thank you. They turned out surprisingly well. I'm definitely gonna do them again at some point.

>I've just started a chef's apprenticeship
How?
Usually you start your apprenticeship when you get out of culinary school. Do you mean that some chef is just showing you some basic stuff?
Those are called supremes.

Why are you taking pictures of every think you do? Dude, c'mon.
Exactly what I was expecting in this thread.

>paying money to learn how to cook
I wish I had parents to pay for my life

In Australia you attend technical college for the basics of each aspect of cooking while having an actual job as a chef's apprentice. And as for taking photos of everything I was just excited. I left out a lot of stuff like sealing the lamb.

I never said I paid to learn how to cook but okay.

I've worked up from dishwasher and I feel this way at culinary school... Fuck that place

Eh, after working in a kitchen, now I'm a baker. 2am - 2pm when they call me, but almost every day. As I return home I make my lunch, go to sleep until 6pm. If my aunt needs help on her pizzeria I'm there from 6.30pm to ~1am.

I'm not an empty shell, but, eh, I'm really tired and busy.

I think we all would be with those hours my friend.

m8 how do you chops herbs that finely? Is it just having a very sharp knife?

I just sharpened the living hell out of my knife yesterday to get rid of the factory edge. And it'd just about patience, just keep chopping til its nice and fine, as you get better you gain speed so you chop quicker and more precise. A Chinese chef at work told me to keep moving it around so you get all the chunks nice and fine.

You can still see the chunky bits of stem in that photo though.

Do you just lay them out flat or roll them up in a ball it something?

The way I've been shown is you bend them in half, really tightly then cut them as thin as you can while they're still whole. Then once you can't hold them together place one hand on the top, blunt side of your knife to steady it then chop. I was once told by someone who was untrained not to use your other hand to steady the knife but all of the chefs I've seen do it that way.

Cool, thanks OP.

My pleasure. Hope I can be as helpful in the future.

What about more leafy herbs?

Did you zest that lemon with your knife? How did you do that?

How do I patricially prepare chicken, based J?

Same deal. Its just about getting them nice and tight and giving them a quick slice before chopping.

For the lemon I used a microplane zester. pic related

I'm not sure what you mean by patricially.

Like a patrician
How do i prepare ir perfectly? what spices? I mean chicken breast btw

Personally I like to rub morrocan spice mixtures into my chicken before searing it. Butterflying the breast it always a nice touch.

I found this nice blend you can use from Google.

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/moroccan-spice-blend-109356

Thank you based J

Thank you for posting user. I hope you will join me for future threads.

I most def will. There are too much crappy and memey threads on Veeky Forums as is.
Wopila, user, wopila.

Based thread.

nice thread op, nothing to contribute but want you to know a random person enjoyed it

The chicken with that mix was fucking 10/10

Looks amazing!

As a guy finishing up his apprenticeship (finished school in September, just gotta be signed off now, probs early next year), this has been a really fun thread, OP.

Especially the early posts, fun to be reminded of where I was 2 years ago. fuck tourned potatoes. Practice on eggs if you want to get the hang of the motion, makes a world of difference.

Have fun making chicken fricassee, mushroom veloute, galantines, pastries and fucking up omelettes at clutch moments (despite nailing them every time it doesn't actually matter). Take all of it and hold onto it. Always remember to have some fun, smile, and be a good team member.

Looking forward to seeing your threads in the future.

Thank you chef. I can't wait for whats in store for the future. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and have fun with it along the way.

What sorta place are you working in, if you don't mind me asking?

You guys gonna get raped come Melbourne Cup?

I can't be too specific but its a building that holds lots of functions and has multiple venues and kitchens. I haven't been there long but I dare say it'll be pretty flat out on the day, I'm actually interested to see what'll be like.

I really can't tell if this is a massive troll thread or not.

If not I'll at least give you some advice. You're working your herbs too much. You want to be able to cut something as little as possible to try and preserve its natural state instead of coming out looking like a wet mass of grass clippings. Try chiffonading your parsley super fine next time and then go back through it with a knife once or twice, you'll see the difference.

Oui, thank you, will do.

Nift as. Best of luck.

great deduction sherlock, really needed an electrician to pick that one out

oi Jay, you still there? You got good spice for Salmon?

I'd go lemon and pepper, maybe a bit of Italian herbs, either one I used a fair bit of salt to season them to give it that real sea food, ocean taste.

so, oregano and rosemary? or anything else specific?

And for anyone who was interested in seeing this I posted it on /wsg/ in this thread

>

Oregano, rosemary, thyme maybe a bit of mint?
Experiment with it, it doesn't have to be anything specifically.

How are you cooking the salmon?

Grilling

I'm assuming you're using dried herbs? if you put the herbs directly on the salmon before cooking, they have a tendency to burn. I would suggest making a herb butter, seasoning the salmon with salt and lemon juice, and after a quick searing adding pepper and a knob of the butter to finish (so that it melts on the filet)

Herb butter for sure. Here's one I made earlier tonight. Not my best roll though.

dude you'll be doing this shit for the rest of your life if you keep cooking, you don't move up and stop doing basic prep, you just fit more of it in the time you don't have.

Where are you working? I'm a 4th year in Aus, your enthusiasm is cute and reminds me of when I started.. I think.. just stay away from working in a pub

Yeah I plan to stay away from pubs, I'm in a city so I'm not too worried about not finding work in a nice restaurant or fancy hotel.

what do you mix with yours?

btw, more butter. honey butter is awesome with some good dinner rolls.