Defend this

Defend this

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Röda Ulven
There's no defending them, Oskars is the way to go.

"ooh, surströmming is sooo bad lol XDDD" is a shitty fucking meme that only culinary illiterate fucks keep using. Eat it with dill, rye bread and sour cream and it's pretty fucking delicious.

Nothing to defend, it is a novelty dish that is also disliked by many swedes.
I think most of the appeal nowadays comes from baiting tourists into trying it pure and have a good time when they try not to puke.

I have Swedish relatives and no one is allowed to eat it indoors. They all have to go outside. Shit is rank.

what is it

>surströmming
fermented, really stinky fish
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

For whatever reason, the swedes seems proud to have such a disgusting food item.

As a Brit, I have never tried it, it's certainly not sold here in anywhere I've seen but I would be willing to give it a try.

tastes fine if you know how to serve it and it obviously smells shit from the can but you get used to it

I've heard it's been banned from being imported, just like snus.

>I've heard it's been banned from being imported, just like snus.
I'm not sure about that, snus isn't sold here but as far as I am aware the are no restrictions on importing it.
But I do understand that there may be restrictions with Surströmming when it comes to air-freight? (something to do with air pressures and bloated tins during transport)

do you guys really eat it or its just a novelty item?

meme dish with it's second purpose being to make everyone become repulsed in the area

It's a regional dish, it's never been widely eaten through the whole country. Some are big fans, but most people try it just to have tried it. You just eat a small amount though, kind of like iwth anchovies.

>You just eat a small amount though, kind of like iwth anchovies.
Ahhhh
This I didn't know.
It makes a big difference to know that you only eat a small amount, rather like with Marmite, you don't eat it by the spoonful.

This.

I tried it once. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected after seeing all these vomiting people on youtube. It helped that we ate it on a sandwich instead of on its own. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it either.

>crispy bread
>boiled potato
>sour creme
>little bits of surstrommjng
>diced onions
>and I like a little pinch of salt and pepper

Godly.

Peel meataway from skin. Never eat the skin.

Meat goes on almost like a paste.

It smells like poo though.

>rotten fish hell on earth

pretty sure it can defend itself

Never met anyone who ever tried it during my 25 years in Sweden.

It's tourism bait, the Scandinavian drop-bear.

>Never met anyone who ever tried it during my 25 years in Sweden.

literally get out of rosengård/biskop/whatever sometime

It tastes alright but it's salty as fuck. And considering you really can't keep it once it's opened you need to be a pretty big gang to make use of an entire can, so it's not the most convenient food really.

>that kid who "pranked" the school by opening a can of surströmming in the cafeteria

it doesnt matter how tasty it is, its not worth the smell.. u can do the same withouth fish that smells that fucking bad. I never understood this.
Its just a weird tradition

I don't get this. I tried some last week but I literally could not swallow it. It's like trying to eat hair, my body rejects it so bad.

Its very uncommon amongst people in the larger cities. I do know quite a few people who have tried it, but its still trivia food.

>rather like with Marmite, you don't eat it by the spoonful.

Excuse me.