I've been invited to a 60s themed bithday party and want to take a retro dish (that isn't gross)

I've been invited to a 60s themed bithday party and want to take a retro dish (that isn't gross)
pls help me
also, on the side, what would you go as? ;)

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchn.com/10-recipes-that-defined-the-1960s-recipes-of-the-decades-200542
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nicely seared niggers on a cross

You should use google fag this article has plenty of good options though

thekitchn.com/10-recipes-that-defined-the-1960s-recipes-of-the-decades-200542

My vote for costume is MLK complete with black face

>tunnel of fudge

all the results I get are shit, I like asking my Veeky Forums pals
ty for this

one of those jello mold things with fish and fruit in it

Most of us aren't in our 70s so you're better off to trust Google

Animal crackers
Condensed milk
Spam
Corned beef
Canned fruit
Sugary lime cordial for making gimlets (someone else will bring the gin, unless they're lame and premix the martinis)
Malted milk
Whipped cream
Hersheys chocolate in little airdrop boxes (Berlin joke)
Cigars (Cuba joke)
5 kilograms of dried parsley powder (Julia Child joke)

AKA aspic

>also, on the side, what would you go as? ;)
Are you a chick?

Go as the main character from No One Lives Forever

yes, I was going to go as Sally Draper

I'd go as Ho Chi Minh and bring fried rice

That's beaucoup dien cai dau.

Why were the 60s such a calamitous time for American cuisine? I feel like old food styles of food are generally bad unless they predate the mid 20th century.

>tfw i grew up on that onion dip and my mom thought it was revolutionary in the early 90s

tastes gud tho

if you can figure out how to make it not leak, fold paper into a tetrahedron and put drinks in it for authentic 60s style tetra pack technology

Likely had to do with all of the returned veterans acclimating to their military taste and never wanting much more than that.

That and a move away from solely fresh foods to preservative laced alternatives with relatively long shelf lives.

Are you pretending to be this dumb?

people who grew up poor in the earlier part of the century have very real issues concerning food safety
botulism, e coli, parasites, etc. have historically been extremely prevalent (they grew mushrooms in literal shit well into the 70s ffs)
over processed and over preserved food is safe and that's what people from that time wanted

also anything that required refrigeration (ie aspic) was a marker of affluence because fridges weren't commonplace until the 40s

Are you pretending to be unaware of the shift from butchers, bakers, and greengrocers to supermarkets?

Or are you just another ignorant and self-righteous dope on the internet? Try commenting on youtube, you'll feel right at home.

Unwrap your lips from around that gun barrel, go out and adjust your eyes to sunlight and experience the real world. Veteran's don't crave shit army food once we get out of the service. Idiot.

>No true veteran likes army food!
You do realize how fallacious your argument is, right?

Now I know you're trolling.

I dunno, you still seem to have the same battlefield hormones coursing in your veins. I'm not taliban, user, calm down.

Army rations do make an impression on people. Koreans and Flips still eat spam as if it wasn't the vilest shit on earth.

The war also would have cut off certain imports back in the states. British food went into a complete tailspin after 1940, and it only really began to recover in the '90s.

Sorry people have different opinions then you. Maybe you could provide actual facts to back yours up instead of trying to pass yours off as valid claims.

You are just as dumb as him. If what you say is true, combat vets would eat MREs for every meal, which is nonsense. God damn armchair psychologist.

Fpbp

I was born in the early 90s and I ate 5/10 of these weekly.

bretty good

my mom has a bunch of old cookbooks from the 60s with lots of pics. lots of disgusting meat based products. you want i should scan some pages?

>op pic

jesus
fucking
christ

I'm not your pal, buddy

>one of those jello mold things with fish and fruit in it

do this but make it actually taste good.

I'm not your buddy, friend.

Found an interesting tidbut on aspic:

>We’ve all wondered what the hell could motivate someone to [prepare, serve, and eat so many gel-based foods] — well, it was simply so they could brag about owning a refrigerator. You can’t solidify gelatin without refrigeration, and so you couldn’t serve Jellied Bouillon with Frankfurters unless you were above a certain income level… So people started jellying vegetables, meats, salads, cream, and pretty much everything in their kitchen.

Yes please, the more vile and exotic the combination of ingredients the better.

this isn't my recipe but my family has a waldorf salad recipe that crosses at least 4 generations including mine. Its honestly a hit at every single family reunion I've ever been to, so maybe use it if you can't find something that fits your idea

op here
that would be great esp if you find anything that actually looks palatable 4 real along the way

and anything dressy to give me some decoration ideas would be much appreciated!

oh shit that onion dip is dope as fuck. my mom makes it around christmas. eat that shit with potato chips

what qualifies as a fancy shape?

I would actually like to do this

any flavour combo ideas?

jelly/jello based foods sounds risky for the modern palate texture wise

I'm thinking of possibly making french onion dip inside a cobb loaf AND one of these cheese balls
surrounded by various dipping items like carrot, celery, cucumber (perhaps apple) etc
what do you normally eat with it?

I thought Waldorf salad typically had pecans? what do you add into yours?

what do you think the modern equivalent could be? since we always have to show off

Just nip round by denny's

Nahm you gotta make the grossest 60s thing you can. thats the challenge, itll be fun

Toast Hawaii was the predominant German party food of the 60.
Butter some toast, add slice of ham and pineapple slice, cover with processed cheese and in ze oven it goes. Top with cocktail cherry.

replace the process cheese with swiss or guyere and i think it would be bretty gud

The original used processed cheese because American food was considered exotic and tasty in post-war Germany. But yes, it's much better with real cheese. And don't go easy on the butter either, the fat contrasts the Pineapple.

kind of reminds me of poor people pizza i used to eat all the time as a kid

>buttered toast, tomato slices, process cheese, seasoning salt + pepper

then under the broiler until the cheese turns brown and bubbly

I used to do this exact thing... going to make this later today

Maybe some good bread, too.

God damn, I think we just created THE hot new hors d'œuvre.

Sous Vide food is the closest equivalent I can think of.

aunt myrna's party cheese salad, dressed as a younger version of jack

>what do you think the modern equivalent could be? since we always have to show off

Smart appliances.

How do you spell volavons

JELLO cake (circa late 1960's)
people will love your for this

standard was white cake with strawberry JELLO
though you could be creative and make a chocolate cake with raspberry JELLO

you must frost it with Cool Whip to be authentic

Aspic with a dash of LSD to give it that je ne sais quoi.

bouillabon