Tea

/tea/ general, old one is past bump limit

Some info and faq: pastebin.com/SWNA0rLX

What is in your cup today?
Got my ys order a few days ago, one of their own brand raws and a menghai ripe, really enjoying them so far

Other urls found in this thread:

twodogteablog.com/2016/05/29/state-of-the-puer-union-spring-2016/
marshaln.com/2015/12/verdant-tea-strikes-again/
reddit.com/r/tea/comments/58t94x/unboxing_some_bai_ji_guan_oolong/
aliexpress.com/item/Electronic-LCD-Display-scale-Mini-Pocket-Digital-Scale-200g-0-01g-Weighing-Scale-Weight-Scales-Balance/32363674024.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

old thread

Still on the ys raw (2012 impression) im finding it hard to have consistent results, some sessions it seems to remain a bit bitter for ~7 steeps before mellowing out and becoming more floral and creamy other times it is like that almost from the get go with the bitter notes being more evenly distributed throughout, I think it has to do with the ratio of whole leaf and broken leaf, will try to be more careful breaking the cake next time and see if that is the cause

Feng Huang Dan Cong. I've been enjoying it so far; whereas some other Oolong varieties taste too similar to tigaunyin for me, this has its own distinct flavor which is very pleasant for rainy days like today.
The guy at the story also mispronounced the pinyin, but I didn't know the tones to say it correctly either so I said nothing.

Drinking some Mi Lan Xiang Dan Cong as we speak. Really need to improve my gong fuing skills though. It comes out slightly bitter each brew. Trying to do it as strictly as possible with all parameters but still messing it up.

A cup of subtly fatty gyokuro

And remember cu/ck/s, 75°C max.

if its getting too bitter for your liking try a bit less leaf perhaps

Yea, might be brewing it for too long though? These are some fast seconds

Also I only have a 200ml pot in which I'm trying to brew 150ml
This is too many parameters I have to think about, it's a real hassle. I need to get a 100ml Gaiwan.

yes, that might be the issue, time, water leaf ratio and temperature are the key parameters, if you are already pretty much flash brewing maybe its worth looking into the other ones

Man, third session and it tastes worse than my western brewinf. I'm starting to get real disappointed. Is gong fuing a real expensive meme?

you do you, it's one of those things that can enhance or detract from your experience, and I don't mean only taste, to me at least, the main advantage is that it forces me to really focus on the flavor and effects on the body instead of just drinking a mug while shitposting or watching a show. That said, I don't think gong fu is appropriate for every tea, its useful to spot some nuances individually, if it's a tea with a solid flavour but very uni-dimensional you might be better off western or grandpa style.

I shouldn't be too quick to judge since I'm probably a bit off with my brewing, but I really thought gong fu brewing would instantly make an impact on me since everybody always saying how superior it is to western brewing. So far I've tried a Dan Cong and a Gaba Oolong. I'll probably continuing brewing western style until I get a 100 ml so I'm sure I have every parameter right. A bit pissed I spent so much on a set though, should've just bought a gaiwan and use a fucking bowl to pour out the rinse and stuff like I saw somebody do in the earlier thread. But I guess time will tell.

Hibiscus with lemon.
I love green teas, but they need much more careful steeping, and today i`m lazy.

yeah, gong fu doesnt need a lot of stuff, im perhaps the user you are talking about, I use a gaiwan, a bowl for waste water, a cup and sometimes a pitcher if im making tea for others or if I just want to stack a few infusions together. Super simple setup, the other stuff isnt really needed needed, its just stuff you get if you like it

What is a good tea to use in a hot toddy? I use brandy in mine. Not really to get drunk but because they are delicious. I have been using a Yunnan black tea with vanilla bean and it's pretty good.

some ripe puer perhaps, it has a strong flavor so id assume it wouldn't be overpowered

I want to start growing something I can use to make tea, any suggestions on a naturally sweet tea?

I think chamomile and spearmint are pretty easy to grow

Tried the 2015 Pin from w2t it's fucking great
fruity and floral and sweet, minimal bitterness and astringency
I only got a sample, but I'll be sure to grab a cake or two of this baby.

have you tried any teas of their pre 2012 tab? it seems to be aged loose leaf pressed into cakes, kinda considering the white whale or the repave as I want to taste some aged raw but dont want to break the bank

I actually have a cake of repave from 2007.
It's got a leathery vanilla taste to it and is pretty enjoyable, but not my favorite older aged pu er I've ever had (that probably goes to 2008 Wild Tree or 2007 Clouds and Fog from Mandala Tea).
It definitely goes in the "daily drinker" category for me. The taste doesn't change up much steep by steep but it still has a solid taste going for it.

guess I should do the responsible thing and get some samples of aged pu instead of always settling for daily drinkers, its just hard trying a couple sessions something you really like and not being able to get it due to price

Do that, then save up for the cake of something you really like as a christmas or birthday treat for yourself.
Life is too short to settle for less, user.

Anyone tried any of the new gushu puerhs from Chinalife?

Lemon balm is also easy and complements mints well.

Tea is overated. Try some really good coffee sometime, it's a game changer.

they seem to have fallen for the lbz super old tree meme once again, that said it might be a good tea and it isnt expensive, also they sell samples of it now so it's worth a try

300-600 years old doesn't seem super old?

Literally apples and pears

its very old, the market is just inflated with claims of 1000+ yo trees, 200 years is already highly unusual
these blog posts on tree age are interesting
twodogteablog.com/2016/05/29/state-of-the-puer-union-spring-2016/ (the tree age part)
marshaln.com/2015/12/verdant-tea-strikes-again/

I have a feeling Chinalife is very gullible when it comes to claims made by tea farmers/sellers, and the fact that it's not good for business to not be gullible is pretty sad. As it says in your link, everyone else does it.

White Night from Mandala Tea.
Gorgeous leaf with white and black where it wasn't fully rolled, wonderfully flavorful and sweet.
When the FUCK is mandala tea going to put their website back up?
8g per this gaiwan. Listed as 150ml but I'm not sure how that works as of course the leaf takes up some place, filled up to what point...?
My standard is just 8g per gaiwan, or 6g per my smaller one.

Also waiting on 3 more gaiwan and 2 more teacups (for a total of 7 and 6) from teaware.house

reddit.com/r/tea/comments/58t94x/unboxing_some_bai_ji_guan_oolong/
in this thread he tries to defend himself, I dont really buy it, but I haven't tasted it and regardless if the trees are that old or if it really comes from lbz if its a solid tea and the price is about right I have no problem with it

I've got the 'pip killer' one - it's a nice little cake (bear in mind these are 100g bings, about 5in circumference when thinking about value). There's a bit of a learning curve to brewing it well as it can get pretty astringent until you've got the leaf quantity and timing right. After a few sessions I'm getting good results - fruity, pheromonal, very good minerality and rewarding flavour shifts over a lot of steeps.
The tree age thing I can take with a pinch of salt - I don't really care if genghis khan once pissed up the trunk, but if the benefit of old arbor teas is great minerality I'd say these leaves have a decent age, without worrying about an exact time stamp.

Octopuswanderer is one rude sob

Going to a Ruski store today, what are some good Ruski teas? I'm not big into adding sugar to my tea, which I know is a big thing in Russia, so something that can stand on its own would be preferred.

Nice, I'm new to Pu erh since I mostly drink greens, reds/black and Oolongs. I might get a cake or samples of the three of them. Which I had a better income...

Wish*

Its reddit after all, he hasnt been called a faggot enough

Saying Pu-Erh sounds alot like saying POO AIR.

You cannot unhear that now.

I actually do know how to figure this out.
The teacup I use is 95ml, and it fills right to the top from this gaiwan.
So it's about 1g leaf per 12ml

asked around on /csg/ for a cheap scale, bought this
aliexpress.com/item/Electronic-LCD-Display-scale-Mini-Pocket-Digital-Scale-200g-0-01g-Weighing-Scale-Weight-Scales-Balance/32363674024.html

Shit, I already ordered a spoon-weigh scale and it even costed more than this. Fuck I got chinked

>bags of dust

Kek

Did you know people can like several things? Wild.