QUESTIONS THAT DON'T DESERVE THEIR OWN THREAD THREAD

QUESTIONS THAT DON'T DESERVE THEIR OWN THREAD THREAD

Are you supposed to put oil into a hot pan, or let the oil heat up with the pan?

Other urls found in this thread:

spicetrekkers.com/
foodandwine.com/recipes/pork-chops-roasted-parsnips-pears-and-potatoes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Always preheat the pan, then add oil/fat.

not if youre using nonstick tho

enjoy your teflon cancer fumes

have you ever seen gril eat cereal? do they eat it correctly? pls respond.

Why do they even sell stuff like coriander and turmeric separately? There is no situation where you use turmeric and not also cumin.

>Thread like this is never up
>Always have questions like this
>Thread gets made
>Can't remember a single one

If your empty pan is ever hot enough to release fumes, you already fucked up.

I have
>Coke
>Lemon juice
>lime juice
>white rum
>vodka
>sugar

What should I drink tonight?

Because you dont always need the same amounts

Rum and coke with lime
OR
Vodka waters with lemon and lime

What are some of the basics you always need for cooking personally?

Sharp knife
cutting board
a pan
A baking tray
a pot

Add a wooden spoon to that and it's good. (As in : I'll bitch and miss my kitchen but I'll make it work in a pinch.)

First off they use milk with it

more on from this question
what do you think are the necessary pots and pans someone should own?
skillets? Stock pots? Saute pans? etc

rum and lemon juice

I have 5 spare apples. What should I do with them?

Bump

what do i do with these raw tendies???

>no pumpkin in pumpkin spice

Wait what

Minimum :
Soup pot/faitout
Large skillet with high walls

Prefered :
As above plus:
Large, medium and small sauce pans
Stock pot
Small non stick skillet
Large regular skillet
Baking dishes (pyrex, 9x13 and 8x8)
Cake and muffin tins
Baking tray x2
Spring form pan

Try a Daiquiri 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1/2 oz Simple syrup, 1 oz Lime juice.

this

you shouldn't be cooking with teflon

there are two examples of times you use coriander without turmeric in the OP pic

yes

its the spice that is complementary to pumpkin. duh. thats why pumpkin spice latte is popular. its just sweet spices in a latte.

I'm a 27 year old man child moving out for the first time next month. I've always enjoyed cooking when I got the chance to do it, but I'm lacking in experience for sure.

Where do you guys suggest one start with the basics? Chicken? Pasta? I can cook things like eggs pretty well and I follow recipes easy. I just don't know where to really begin with other things.

Thanks.

Same answer I give to everyone :

Make yourself a meal plan for the week (at least your dinners and breakfast. Lunch can be left overs).

Look up the recipes for what you feel like eating this week. Write down the ingredients and go buy them.

You learn by trying things. So what sounds good? What do you feel like eating? Do that.

What is the healthiest foods that one can cook relatively quickly, unprocessed and no preservatives.

I've been eating way too much pizza.

Salad.

What kind of pizza?

please respond

plain i guess

Chicken, rice, beans, salad

im trying to avoid grain, dairy and gluten as best i can, what can i do to up my calorie count? Usually having brown rice (cheating) or sweet potatoes with my dinner, gonna make a lentil dish soon.

how do you make homemade pizza?

Flour, oil, salt, yeast, water, sometimes sugar for the yeast (pic related)

There's a huge number of variation on the recipe for pizza dough, so play around and find one you like.

Once you have the dough, just remember not to overload it with sauce and/or toppings.

thanks!

can you cook this in an oven?

Sure. Pizza stone will get you the best result, but a baking tray with aluminium foil and a coating of oil will work too.

I tend to go for 400F and about 30 minutes, but that's because my oven doesn't really deal well with higher temps.

Shit I never knew that, or even realized. I kinda just figured it would have some pumpkin zest or something

Yeah, I would recommend to sprinkle corn meal on a cast iron skillet, stretch the dough into it and cook the bottom for a bit while you add the toppings. While doing that, preheat your over to 500 (or however high it will go) and blast it with heat until the top looks done. The bottom should be crunchy since you cooked it earlier. Pic related is when I first tried that method. Since my first time, I put a small layer of olive oil on the crust to help brown it. Good luck!

>taco seasoning has no tacos in it
Yeah man. Pumpkin spice is the common spice in things like pumpkin pie, which is where it gets the name.
I was a little confused when I first found out too.

>There is no situation where you use turmeric and not also cumin.
Step up your falafel game, user.

>What are some of the basics you always need for cooking personally?

>tools
A sharp all-purpose knife (santoku or a chef's knife)
A serrated knife.
A wooden spoon.
A frying pan.
A deep pot with a lid.
A baking sheet.
A deeper baking pan.
A mixing bowl.
Measuring cups/spoons.
I know this isn't "basic", but I really do use a high powered blender all the time.

>ingredients
flour (various types)
salt
pepper
red pepper
white vinegar
rice vinegar
balsamic vinegar
soy sauce
lime juice
lemon juice
chickpeas
bananas
dates
red lentils
brown rice
potatoes
onions
carrots
spinach
black beans
nutritional yeast
peanut butter
cashews
cornmeal
brown mustard
cumin.
cauliflower.

These things are always in my kitchen, and I use them all pretty regularly.

Nice job user

Anyone got a good recipe using beef heart?

ty bby

I'd imagine that's something you'd want to grill on very high heat.

Typically gamey cuts and offal really benefit from some char on an open grill.

Apple pie.

Easy to make if you just use store-bought pastry.

Where would you go to get meat for raw consumption? I really want to make poke, sushi, carpaccio.

Thanks, senpai. Appreciated.

You'll need to find a place nearby that advertises it.

For raw fish, I go to small local asian markets, typically Chinese.

I'm in a large city, though, so I've got lots to choose from.

Please ensure that whatever you purchase is specifically labeled as fit for raw consumption. Seafood will be frozen to extremely low temperatures to eradicate pretty much any parasite or bacteria.

Right on.

I live in a fairly large city with a Asian area (shitloads of small Asian markets). Should I trust the ones that smell like fish and disappointed parents? I plan on calling ahead, there's one butcher I know of but they're like thirty minutes away. I'll do some research, thank you

>Should I trust the ones that smell like fish and disappointed parents?
Yes.

Mostly because they'll all have the same vibe, in that regard.

Neat. I'll call them ahead of time. Many thanks!

Third world style:

Mix with olive oil, chilli peppers (can be dried), lime juice and cilantro. S&P and throw in a hot pan, throw in some scallions and bell peppers. Serve with rice and fries, or a fried plantain.

You can also marinade them in a tangy/sour vinagrette of your choosing for a night and make braised brochettes with them, I would recommend against sweet flavors mixed with beef heart, spicy and tangy is the way to go.

are dried mushrooms usually kind of sad or am i just cooking them terribly? they always seem too chewy despite rehydrating them for an hour in warm water (which is what the packet suggests) and frying doesn't seem to help much either

They're not best for trying to eat on their own. They make good additions to stocks and soups and the like, because the texture will never come back fully.

Thanks, that's better

make cider

How do I learn to spice? I have a huge spice rack I inherited from my mom but have no idea how to use any of it. I've tried just tasting some but I have no idea how it would taste on actual food. And when I look spices up there's usually very poor explanations of how the flavor is best used, just meme phrases like "nutty with a hint of bullshit", things like that.

Any advice on how I should start experimenting and figuring this out? What would be a simple food I could prepare that's bland enough to give me an idea of how the spice will add to flavor?

Eggs.

Flatbread is pretty good for this.

You could also coat small strips of chicken in a spice and quickly saute it and try them like that. This would work for any meat.

Be sure to include salt in your testing.

The easiest way, imo, is to start looking up and making recipes that have those spices in them. You start to learn the effect of the spice by seeing its end result in a number of dishes.

Eventually, after you have some experience with them, and some experience at making a wide range of dishes, you often can just smell or taste a bit of a spice and know what dishes it would work well with, or know what experiments you'd like to try with it.

But for now, just look up some common dishes that use them, look up some decent recipes for those dishes, and give them a go.

Go with your nose. if they smell good together they'll likely work together. Here's a general guide.

Or look up recipes for various things and just note what spice if used with what.

yeah this. They're best used to impart flavor into the liquids they're rehydrated in, to be used elsewhere. Being able to make a nice potent stock in only about a half hour with just one ingredient is really nice. I always have some around for that reason.

Also this will probably sound gross, but you can rehydrate them in hot milk, strain, and enjoy it as a nice rich dessert drink.

Where do I buy vanilla beans, jalapenos, and anise? Where is a good place to buy small resealable bottles?

I wanna make some vodka infusions as christmas presents for friends but I don't know where to grab the stuff from. Canada-user if that matters.

spicetrekkers.com/

They have bottles set up for vanilla extract and a Caribbean infusion thing.

And pretty much every spice you might want.

What are some of your best recommendations for easy meal prep? So far I've been basically just making curry ever week or experimenting with other things and fucking them up.

I can never think of anything when the time comes to cook.

>vanilla beans, jalapenos, and anise
The grocery store down the street, for me.

Otherwise, you'll have to look to online retailers. Make sure you read reviews.

I got some recommendations from friends. Apparently there's a local spice store that's hella nice nearby. Also I figured I could go grab some of those resealable beer bottles from a local beer & wine making store and set those up to hold the final product for my friends. Thanks for the advice Veeky Forums, I'll check in again when I do my first run to test the recipies and flavors.

stir fries + some starch/rice never fails.

I am about to buy some new pot and pans set. I am going with non-stick this time. Is there something I need to keep in mind while shopping?

Hi Veeky Forums
I am moving out of my parents and know nothing about cooking.
Any basic cooking guide? perhaps with meal weekly meal plans?

Write it down in a text document labeled “important shit" and save it for later

This. Thanks for keeping me in the loop as usual, anons.

teflon doenst have to be heated very hot to release fumes

fuck yeah perfect timing. anyone have that cookie infographic that shows the difference between butter, shortening, chilled and unchilled cookies?

i have some other infographics i can post in the meantime

I'm trying to think up different things I can bring to my study group that aren't just salads and sandwiches. Anybody got any creative suggestions? We have access to a microwave if that helps.

Bring money with you

It seems easier when cooking with e.g. butter to place the butter as the pan is heating, as you can tell when it's the right temperature without burning or browning.

Apple crisp is easy.

Lemon Drop
2oz Vodka
3/4oz Lemon Juice
3/4oz Sugar

Daiquiri
2oz White Rum
1oz Lime
3/4oz Sugar

Rum and Coke
I don't care how much you put in of either.

>almost an ounce of sugar

Should herbs (basil, parsley, coriander, etc.) go in at the start of simmering or at the end?

Is tomato puree thicker than ketchup or not?

No. In my experience, it's usually close but not quite as thick

General rule is to use dried herbs during the beginning of cooking and fresh herbs near the end.

Blackberry Lemon and a Pepper Lime. I'm gonna do a spice run later for some other flavors but I wanted to check in. They'll be done on the 8th so I can enjoy them with the election!

When I cook steaks and let them rest, does that mean if I want medium rare, I should do rare and let it rest to medium rare?

That depends on how thick your steaks are.

If they're pretty thin like many cheap supermarket steaks then I'd cook to your desired doneness.

If they're of average thickness (at least an inch) then I'd pull them when they're about 5F below your target temp.

If they're really thick then you might want to pull them even lower. The thicker/larger a piece of meat is then the more carry-over cooking you'll get once you take it off the heat.

#1 How do I break an egg without it breaking the yolk and getting eggs shells in my egg?

I hit it on a flat surface, because people said that's the best way, but it's still finicky

#2 I broil steak and the outside gets burned before the inside is done properly. How do I fix that? I broil on medium heat

#3 Anyone know a good resource for getting into cocktail making?

Put it into your hand after cracking, white drips down yolk stays.

Put it in the oven til done

Seriouseats

Learn how to crack it with one hand. Make a little crack and use your thumb+pointer to pry it open. Then drop it where you want it, carefully.

foodandwine.com/recipes/pork-chops-roasted-parsnips-pears-and-potatoes

Throw in some salad and this is great.

I also did a makeshift pan sauce with the drippings from the oven pan and the brown bits from searing the pork. Deglaze & reduce the wine, then add butter. Flour makes it thicker, a little mustard is good too.

Crack lighter and pull it apart by the ends

If you want to go full punished, grab a package of frozen veggies (Broccoli, Cauliflower, and carrots should do the trick), and a pack of grilled chicken.

Healthy, but disgusting, food ready in less that 7 mins.