The Science of Binging

I have a disgusting, shameful habit of going on sugar binges. I'll literally eat an entire box of fruit chews in one sitting, maybe even add some cookies.

If I do this during the day, I fall asleep shortly after. I assume this is true at night but it's not a noticeable symptom because I'm about to go to bed anyway.

Can someone tell me what about the sugar is causing me to fall asleep - and what other things might it be doing to my body besides making me a lardass and increasing my risk for diabetes.

Maybe this will help me say no once and for all. I'm thinking about never buying sugar again.

When I was a kid my mom would only give me so much candy, but now that I'm an adult I give myself all the candy I want and it's fucking repulsive. I need an intervention.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM
forksoverknives.com/tmao-a-toxic-substance-formed-when-you-eat-meat-can-make-you-dead-meat/
cbsnews.com/news/meat-dairy-may-be-as-detrimental-to-your-health-as-smoking-cigarettes/
nutritionfacts.org/2013/02/14/animal-protein-and-igf-1/
nutritionfacts.org/video/developing-an-ex-vivo-cancer-proliferation-bioassay/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10943644
diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-my-reaction-to-looking-at-an-oily-cheese-pizza.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2486444/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3251953/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677005/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15474873
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929
cancerproject.org/survival/cancer_facts/meat.php
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558046
cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57563739/study-finds-unsafe-mercury-levels-in-84-percent-of-all-fish/
nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3346666/Mystery-of-the-meat-eaters-molecule.html
nutritionj.com/content/11/1/9/abstract
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-and-milk/
news.cornell.edu/stories/1996/11/eating-less-meat-may-help-reduce-osteoporosis-risk
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19232475
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18398033
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18398033?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=2
news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243483
pcrm.org/health/health-topics/milk-consumption-and-prostate-cancer
pcrm.org/health/medNews/dairy-linked-to-acne-development
nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_understand_foods/dairy.html
drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3603726/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17364116
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21048771
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12778049,
veganaustralia.org.au/government_recognises_vegan_diet_as_viable_option_for_all_australians,
dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Vegetarian-Diets/Eating-Guidelines-for-Vegans.aspx
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/05/18/ajcn.110.009340.abstract
karger.com/Article/Pdf/337301
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9805219
health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good
mensjournal.com/health-fitness/health/go-vegetarian-live-longer-20140717
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24037034
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22706630
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1627021
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11718588
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11988588
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12963562,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11755286
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3052353,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596800
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11010932
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12514290
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19646291
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15523086
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11412050
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12372158
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25343719
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9791838
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23704846
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12833118
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2743036/pdf/ukmss-27731.pdf,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12917205,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10203281,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11018095
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12936948,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25431999
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25815212
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25084991
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21407994
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806870,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24964573
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25592002
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24361028
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26138004
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25751512
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24566947
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7635375
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10687887
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23283037
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425575
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24523914
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19336640
pcrm.org/health/medNews/animal-protein-linked-to-increased-diabetes-risk
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19386029
plantbasedresearch.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Replace candy with fruit, particularly high-fiber ones like berries. Then start to lower amount of fruit until you feel sane again. Ban sugary drinks.

I don't believe in keto for most people but you'd be one of the people to benefit by doing it and becoming fat adapted just so you can get out of the sweet habit.

>Can someone tell me what about the sugar is causing me to fall asleep

google.com

lol I tried the ketogenic diet and it made me feel worse than all the sugary binges I've had in my entire life put together.

Thanks for trying though. I'm not a big fan of berries unfortunately. I do like fruity baby food though so maybe I'll just stick with those if I get a sweet tooth.

There is no answer other than "stop eating sugar".

Sugar is ingested
Insulin spikes basically to high enough that it can handle very sugary diet all day
This is too high
You feel lots of energy due to lots of glucose flowing around
It all gets absorbed after awhile very quickly due to the insulin
Too quickly, from too much insulin
Your blood sugar is now hella low
Fatigue

You're just addicted to sugar.

Processed/granulated sugar has no nutrients, but it still has calories.

Even when you eat a lot, you're not getting enough nutrients and your body need nutrients.

Binge on fruit.

Apples are in season.

I'm the opposite way. Used to eat candy every chance I got as a kid. My parents refused to buy chips, any sort of sweets at all. In high school, once I had a part time job and some money in my pocket I went sugar crazy. Fruit snacks were my shit, those starburst gummies. I can't even imagine how much sugar I put into my body over the years, it's astonishing I'm not diabetic.

Once I got to college though, the cravings stopped completely. I switched to subs, red meats, vegetables, pineapple, all that shit. I don't know if I grew out of it, I don't know if my body sent a signal to my brain that said stop eating sugars or you're fucked, but a few months after I cut all processed sugars out I was over it.

Like said, you're most likely "addicted" to sugar. Easiest habit in the world to kick, you should be happy it wasn't caffeine or something serious

>keto made you feel bad

you definitely need keto, possibly nothing else is going to prevent you from needing daily drugs for the rest of your lifespan.

after a month or two of keto you'll probably be mostly better. do it for half of a year and you'll definitely have fixed most of your endocrinal damage.

> you're most likely "addicted" to sugar. Easiest habit in the world to kick, you should be happy it wasn't caffeine or something serious

this is wrong.

caffeine is easy to kick.

scientists have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine by a wide margin.

people trying to reduce sugar intake have less success than people have when trying to quit heroin or crack.

that's not even slightly exaggerating. sugar is without a doubt the most addictive substance known to man.

heroin, user. it's statistically proven to be easier to quite needle drugs.

Damn, seriously? I believe it man, but that is fucking horrifying. Plus the stuff is in everything, I recall even when I tried to cut sugar out entirely it was almost impossible, it's in everything it seems like. Go to mcdonalds and buy a burger as a treat? It's got sugar in it.
Buy a premade meal? grams of sugar in it. In all honesty if I see a coke can I have to talk myself out of opening it, and not for the caffeine either, for the sugar rush

adapt or die.

live off of leafy green vegetables, oils/fats and meat. beans and potatoes are your new sugars, use them sparingly.

Stop shilling your disproven meme diet

there's nothing 'meme' about not eating any refined sugars.

stop shilling for refined sugars, i guess.

not eating sugar period for long times has been proven again and again to be able to prevent oncoming diabetic states, and has even reversed diabetic conditions. type II.

that's all there is to it.

I'm in therapie for binge eating disorder.

What really helped me was eating every 2.5 to 3 hours. This way I'm to full to go on a binge. Some days I even ate more calories than the average person by eating regularly but I still had profit because I could eat 5000 calories in a binch.

After you've learned to eat regularly you can work on the causes of your binges. What happens before a binge? What after? What where you thinking? By realising what triggers your binges you have a way better change to stop it. Maybe by going for a walk,cleaning something or calling a friend.

A binge can be a trigger for another binge so don't beat yourself up when it happens. Every binch you avoided is a victory.

i used to binge constantly as well. have lost 60 pounds.

what i looked at it as was a "diet-diet". every day, i didn't count calories, what i counted was how many meals i ate, and how heavily i ate at those meals.

every day i eliminated a meal or i turned a meal from, say, a 2lb bag of frozen fries, to a can of beans or something.

eventually i was adapted to fairly normal eating patterns, and i even fasted for several weeks, cumulatively.

it became liberating to be able to not eat for 2 days, to have a salad and milk the next day, and then not eat for 2 more days, and then have 2 small meals, etc.

So a while back I lost 30kgs. After which I started regularly binging. I'd go for about a week of dieting and then I'd just binge like absolute fucking crazy. I'm talking one, two, three days of eating until I was literally throwing up, and then eating more an hour later. I'd get diarrhea and I'd be vomiting and I just couldn't stop. This would really get me suicidal. Like you physically and mentally feel like dying.

Eventually I learned to control it. Kind of. I haven't binged in about 60 days now. Two nights ago I ate half a jar of peanut butter and I thought "Oh no, here we go". But it just didn't happen. I have no idea what it is. It's not hunger or the desire for something tasty that drives me. But yeah, as others have said, try not to perceive binging as a set back. Just get back on the horse. All I can say is that if you keep focusing it can get better. My best advice is to keep yourself busy. I find I'm less likely to binge if I never take that initial "Oh, I'll just have one piece" mentality. I know when I can be triggered. No matter how tired you are, remove yourself from the house or scenarios when you feel a binge coming on. You gotta get out. Get outside. Do a shitload of exercise to the point where you'll fall asleep and the strive to binge will be gone in the morning.

>>tfw i ate another whole jar of peanut butter today

a large one too

there is no hope

If I were you I would write down what happened before you ate that peanut butter. How did you feel? where you hungry?

Did you actually do research on how to do it right?
You will probably inevitably experience sugar withdrawal because you're an addict like anyone else.
You may also experience keto flu (this is just dehydration paired with low electrolytes, you fix it by drinking a shit ton of water, and taking potassium magnesium and salt)
But after the first month or so you should be good to go. If not, you're doing it wrong, there's a lot of self experimentation and tweaking to get it right and fit your body.

Protip: With a high sugar/carb diet you're setting yourself up for failure. Insulin suppresses leptin which is the "full" feeling, it also induces ghrelin which is the hunger causing hormone. This is why you binge. Insulin also locks away access to fat as long as it's high so it can deal with lowering blood sugar (extremely high blood sugar is dangerous) so if you're on a high carb low calorie diet as long as your insulin is high (worsened by insulin resistence) it makes it that much harder because you get hungry way easier and way quicker

Just like alcoholics need to step away from alcohol, you need to step away from sugar. You clearly can't handle it.
t. 6 months keto, 35 pounds lost, don't even miss sugar

There's nothing disproven about it, if anything it is consistently backed by credible research.
There's nothing especially extreme about it either, the entire point is cut out sugar rich food and strive for nutrient dense food instead.
It's shown to be great for epileptics, diabetics (type 2, helps type 1 somewhat in that they don't need to take as much insulin), cancer patients, and sugar addicts/obese people
Studies have shown it's safe long term, it helps lower oxidized LDL, increase HDL, and as long as you keep protein, electrolytes, and carbs at good levels you can go indefinitely (increasing fat intake when you reach maintenance weight).

Some may choose not to do it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work and isn't safe.

The ketogenic diet is a suicide diet. Animal products are just as bad as excess sugar for your health. A whole foods plant based diet would actually be what could help them. They don't need to torture themselves with a disgusting (tasting and health-wise) diet.

You're absolutely full of shit. It's not safe long term. There are countless studies showing the detrimental effects of animal products on your body.

And a whole foods plant based diet has all those benefits you claim, and way more.

Stop giving people dangerous advice.

vegetarians, just leave, everyone will always hate you because you're retarded.

Why do some vegans go vegan for health? Many reasons. Here are just some:
youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM
Celebrated Cornell University professor T. Colin Campbell Phd, presents the overwhelming evidence showing that animal protein is one of the most potent carcinogens people are exposed to.
TMAO: A Toxic Substance Formed When You Eat Meat Can Make You… Dead Meat
forksoverknives.com/tmao-a-toxic-substance-formed-when-you-eat-meat-can-make-you-dead-meat/

Meat, dairy may be as detrimental to your health as smoking cigarettes, study says
cbsnews.com/news/meat-dairy-may-be-as-detrimental-to-your-health-as-smoking-cigarettes/
Animal Protein and the Cancer Promoter IGF-1
nutritionfacts.org/2013/02/14/animal-protein-and-igf-1/

Vegan Blood Fights Cancer 8x Better
nutritionfacts.org/video/developing-an-ex-vivo-cancer-proliferation-bioassay/
Vegan diet in physiological health promotion. [Acta Physiol Hung. 1999] – PubMed – NCBI

Due to measured levels of dioxin that exceed safety standards, the National Academy of Science has for years recommended that people avoid eating a diet rich in animal fats.
diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-my-reaction-to-looking-at-an-oily-cheese-pizza.html

Change in quality of life and immune markers after a stay at a raw vegan institute: a pilot study
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2486444/

The role of diet and physical activity in breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer survivorship: a review of the literature
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3251953/
Interindividual differences in response to plant-based diets: implications for cancer risk
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677005/

Effects of a long-term vegetarian diet on biomarkers of antioxidant status and cardiovascular disease risk. [Nutrition. 2004] – PubMed – NCBI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15474873
Vegetarian diets and the incidence of cancer in a low-risk population. [Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013] – PubMed – NCBI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929

Meat Consumption and Cancer Risk
cancerproject.org/survival/cancer_facts/meat.php
Red meat and colon cancer
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558046

Study finds unsafe mercury levels in 84 percent of all fish
cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57563739/study-finds-unsafe-mercury-levels-in-84-percent-of-all-fish/

Study Points to New Culprit in Heart Disease
nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

“Neu5Gc elicits an immune reaction that might contribute to a whole spectrum of human-specific diseases”
telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3346666/Mystery-of-the-meat-eaters-molecule.html
Restriction of meat, fish, and poultry in omnivores improves mood: a pilot randomized controlled trial
nutritionj.com/content/11/1/9/abstract

Harvard School of Public Health » milk is NOT the best source of calcium
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-and-milk/
Eating less meat and dairy may help reduce osteoporosis risk, Cornell studies show.
news.cornell.edu/stories/1996/11/eating-less-meat-may-help-reduce-osteoporosis-risk

Milk–the promoter of chronic Western diseases
PMID: 19232475
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19232475

Dairy product, saturated fatty acid, and calcium intake and prostate cancer (PMID: 18398033)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18398033

Acne, dairy and cancer (PMID: 20046583)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18398033?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=2

Hormones in milk can be dangerous By Corydon Ireland
news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

Milk consumption: aggravating factor of acne and promoter of chronic diseases of Western societies
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243483

Milk Consumption and Prostate Cancer
pcrm.org/health/health-topics/milk-consumption-and-prostate-cancer

Dairy Linked to Acne Development
pcrm.org/health/medNews/dairy-linked-to-acne-development

Understanding the Problems with Dairy Products
nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_understand_foods/dairy.html
1. Osteoporosis 2. Cardiovascular Disease 3. Cancer 4. Diabetes 5. Lactose Intolerance 6. Vitamin D Toxicity 7. Contaminants 8. Health Concerns of Infants and Children

Nutrient Density of Animal and Plant Foods:
drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx

Nutritional Update for Physicians: Plant-Based Diets (a summary)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Facts and principles learned at the 39th Annual Williamsburg Conference on Heart Disease
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3603726/
“There are in Roberts’ opinion 4 facts supporting the contention that atherosclerosis is a cholesterol problem: 1) Atherosclerosis is easily produced experimentally in herbivores (monkeys, rabbits) by giving them diets containing large quantities of cholesterol (egg yolks) or saturated fat (animal fat). Indeed, atherosclerosis is one of the easiest diseases to produce experimentally, but the recipient must be an herbivore. It is not possible to produce atherosclerosis in carnivores (tigers, lions, dogs, etc.). In contrast, it is not possible to produce atherosclerosis simply by raising a rabbit’s blood pressure or blowing cigarette smoke in its face for an entire lifetime. 2) Atherosclerotic plaques contain cholesterol. 3) Societies with high average cholesterol levels have higher event rates (heart attacks, etc.) than societies with much lower average cholesterol levels. 4) When serum cholesterol levels (especially the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol [LDL-C] level) are lowered (most readily, of course, by statin drugs), atherosclerotic events fall accordingly and the lower the level, the fewer the events (“less is more”). Although most humans consider themselves carnivores or at least omnivores, basically we humans have characteristics of herbivores (Table (Table11).”

Health effects of vegan diets: ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.full

Vegetarians have lower levels of triglycerides, total cholesterol, and LDL (bad) cholesterol than omnivores: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17364116
Vegetarian diet may promote allergy protection: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21048771

Positions of American, Canadian, Australian Dietetic Associations on vegetarian diets: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12778049, veganaustralia.org.au/government_recognises_vegan_diet_as_viable_option_for_all_australians, dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Vegetarian-Diets/Eating-Guidelines-for-Vegans.aspx

Increased consumption of fruits and vegetables promotes cardiovascular health and longevity:
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/05/18/ajcn.110.009340.abstract

Wrong. The red meat study was hideously poorly done (if that's what you're referring to) it was a survey style that asked what people ate in the past day/year and then followed them for a few years. It didn't even control for smokers, heavy drinkers, etc. Fucking disgraceful.

Keto isn't high meat intake anyway. It's high fat (or fat to satiety), MODERATE protein (generally no different from the regular american's intake about .7g/kg-1g/kg) and low carb.
Sure there are people who pair vegetarianism and keto but you don't have to.

I'm not sure what the hell is "disgusting" about keto healthwise (shown to IMPROVE health in longer term studies) or tastewise.
I eat shit like pizza, bagels, steak, mapo tofu, burgers, ice cream, souffle, chicken roulade, and lots of curry dishes like saag paneer or chicken tikka masala.
The only thing I had to do was remove or replace high carb shit (pizza dough/bagels use fathead pizza dough for example).

I do agree that getting rid of processed sugar is the key here, regardless of how you do it. At least then the sugar you're getting comes in smaller doses and paired with sugar so you can't guzzle it down like you do a coke.
But with people with insulin sensitivity, or type 2 diabetes keto can and does help.
It's not the only option but it is AN option.

Vegetarians have significantly lower heart disease mortality and cancer incidence: karger.com/Article/Pdf/337301

A high-carb low-fat (vegan) diet can reduce total and LDL cholesterol and lead to modest weight reduction: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9805219

Increased saturated fat can increase total cholesterol, in favor of LDL (bad) more than HDL (good) cholesterol: health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good
Vegetarians live longer than omnivores, even when controlling for other health factors: mensjournal.com/health-fitness/health/go-vegetarian-live-longer-20140717

Increased consumption of animal products may lead to increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24037034

High intake of fruits and vegetables associated with reduced risk of breast cancer:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22706630
Frequent consumption of nuts may protect against risk of cardiovascular disease:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1627021

Increasing legume intake can protect against coronary heart disease:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11718588
Increasing dietary folate can protect against stroke and heart disease:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11988588

Increasing dietary fibre can protect against heart and cardiovascular disease: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12963562, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11755286

Low intake of dietary cholesterol can prevent heart disease: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3052353, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596800

Higher intake of fruit and vegetables lowers risk of cardiovascular disease:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11010932

Diets that are rich in plant-based foods promote longevity: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12514290

Higher consumption of fruits and vegetables can protect against cerebrovascular diseases:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19646291

Higher consumption of fruits and vegetables leads to modest reduction in development of major chronic diseases: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15523086

Higher consumption of fruits and vegetables protects against heart disease:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11412050
Vegetarians have lower risk of ischemic heart disease: ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/3/597.full.pdf
Vegans and vegetarians have lower blood pressure and prevalence of hypertension:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12372158
Beneficial association between vegetarian diet and cardiovascular risk factors:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25343719
African-American vegans have better cardiovascular disease risk factors than lacto-ovovegetarians:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9791838

Physicians should recommend plant-based diets to their patients: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23704846
Vegans and vegetarians have lower BMI than meat eaters: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12833118
Vegans have lower levels of IGF-1 growth hormone and higher levels of IGF-binding proteins:
cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/11/1441.full.pdf
Higher levels of IGF-1 increase risk of (prostate) cancer:ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2743036/pdf/ukmss-27731.pdf, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12917205, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10203281, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11018095
Plant-based diets can reduce risk of heart disease and stroke: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12936948, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25431999
Whole foods, plant-based diet relieves symptoms of osteoarthritis: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25815212
Plant-based diets may reduce risk of metabolic syndrome: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25084991
Vegetarian and vegan diets reduce risk of cancer: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21407994

Health benefits of vegetarian diet far outweigh the potential risks: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806870, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24964573
Plant-based diets decrease risk of colorectal cancer: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25592002
Plant-based diets are not nutritionally deficient: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24361028
Vegetarian diets have significant benefits for weight reduction: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26138004
Vegetarian diets reduce risk of colorectal cancer: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25751512
Vegetarian diet is associated with lower blood pressure: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24566947
Vegetarian diets have more beneficial effects on health than standard American/European diet:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7635375

Cancer
Vegans/vegetarians have lower risk of cancer: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929
Vegan proteins may reduce risk of cancer, obesity, cardiovascular disease:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10687887
Vegan diet leads to lower risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease:

Heart Disease
Vegetarians have better antioxidant and heart disease profiles than healthy omnivores: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15474873
Plant-based diets can reverse cardiovascular disease: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208

Diabetes
Diabetes, hypertension, obesity more prevalent among meat-eaters than vegetarians: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23283037
Vegetarian and vegan diets have advantages in treating type 2 diabetes:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425575
Strong protective association between Taiwanese vegetarian diet and diabetes:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24523914
Strong protective association between vegetarian diet and diabetes (after controlling for confounders): ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24523914
Lower intakes of saturated fat may reduce cognitive decline in individuals with type 2 diabetes:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19336640
Diets higher in protein and animal protein increase diabetes risk: pcrm.org/health/medNews/animal-protein-linked-to-increased-diabetes-risk
Vegetarian and vegan diets present advantages for type 2 diabetes treatment:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19386029

For more studies and information on plant based diets, check out this site:

plantbasedresearch.org/

This should be paired with fiber, not paired with sugar.

OP, just start eating whole food as close as you can. However you do that doesn't matter. Vegetarian, not vegetarian, whatever.
Leafy greens, berries, protein in whatever form you prefer, fat to keep you full (coconut oil, olive oil, lard, butter, fat from nuts like macadamia nuts etc).
You don't have to cut out carbs if you want, but get it from better sources that aren't pumped full of sugar, and HFCS

Type 1 diabetic here. Ketogenic diet saved my life. Cholesterol is lower, blood pressure is lower, blood sugars are more stable. Feel fucking great. People like me are in the unique position of being able to see the effects of diet on overall health without ambiguity. It's a great, healthy diet. Suck it.

Come back to me when you're 30 and battling cancer and regretting not going on a whole foods plant based diet instead.

God, you are such an insufferable faggot.

You say that as if keto isn't whole food based as a necessity because most processed shit is paired with sugar anyway.
The only thing you're crying over is whole food moderate protein high fat based diet.
You're just a butthurt vegetarian/vegan. No one cares.
I've done the research, come to my own conclusions, if I'm wrong what business is it of yours? I'm no longer pre-diabetic, I'm no longer morbidly obese, I no longer have type 1 high blood pressure, my triglycerides are lower and my HDL higher, I feel great, I have more energy, my doctor has complimented me numerous times.
I found what works for me, quit getting triggered over people choosing to eat meat you will never change anything.
People have been eating meat since the beginning of time, the research on meat and cancer is flawed as fuck, eat what you want and shut the fuck up.

I'm 40, asshole. Been a diabetic for 30 years. Perfectly healthy (now). I only eat whole foods, and I do eat (non-starchy) vegetables. I eat plenty of eggs, dairy, and saturated animal fats, too. The reversal of my overall health since I began a ketogenic diet has made me a notable success story for my endocrinologist. A lot of those studies are bunk because they don't account for socioeconomic status or general lifestyle variables. I did one thing different. One. Keto.

dunno op. Not sure how it works at all. Suger though?I can tell you how that works.

I gotta tell ya, it's the weirdest fucking thing. The thirst that never quenches. It feels like having the worst fever of your life while you're 20 feet underwater. Every cell of your body hurts, and you desperately crave sugar, which will kill you. It is thanatos. Hell has no punishment like diabetic ketoacidosis.

Actually a lot of them do. Admit it, you didn't read any of them and are only going off of bullshit you read in low carb blogs.

And sorry but you type like you're twelve and you frequent Veeky Forums so...

But alright I'll be real. Glad you're healthier and all, but that's temporary. The animal products will wear on you.

Also your anecdotal evidence is ridiculously weak compared to the studies I shared. There's proof a vegan diet is the most effective treatment for diabetes, and all of those other symptoms.

Can you post an average week's meals?

>anecdotal evidence
>improved medical metrics and lab tests
amazing

Eh, how about items that are typically on my average grocery list?

Spinach, broccoil, cauliflower, brussels sprouts mushrooms, avocado, limes and lemons
garlic, onion, herbs
pumpkin seeds, peanuts
extra virgin olive oil
eggs
half & half, cheese
chicken thighs, fish, bacon
dark chocolate
coffee

I don't eat any highly processed or sugar-added foods besides the dark chocolate.

Cool, dude.

Thanks for the list.