Oil or Butter for fried rice?

When I make fried rice i use vegetable oil but does anyone use butter? I would think it's a bit unconventional.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3mLejVBfEs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sesame oil and butter

nooo, don't do that. Blech.

do you use butter and sesame oil at the same time or just w/e you feel like at the time?

Butter has too low a smoke point for stir frying.

Peanut oil, grapeseed oil, sesame oil, and canola oil are recommended.

you use the sesame oil to make it taste burnt and the butter to make it taste cloying and off.

thanks for the tip

>asian cuisine
>butter

You might be able to pull it off with clarified butter, but not straight butter.

Regardless, I use oil, because that's what the Chinese take out dude uses...

Sesame oil seems to be the meme oil to use for fried rice.

stop using that stupid fucking word.

Did you copy and paste an entire thread?

You can't make fried rice because you don't have a hot enough heat source.

kek

>You can't make fried rice because you don't have a hot enough heat source.
What if I heated up my carbon steel pan on high for like 15 minutes before I started cooking.

Why would you not use sesame oil?

I mean, why..?

SESAME OIL IS A FINISHING OIL

CAPS LOCK SO I DON'T HAVE TO SWEAR AT YOU AND CALL YOU NAMES

i love when people make smartass posts and in doing so demonstrate they have no idea what they're talking about whatsoever

yeah why wouldn't you use sesame oil in a scorching hot pan or wok :))) great idea :))

Just because you're making chinese food doesn't mean you throw in sesame oil. It's barely used in a lot of regional cuisines.

Just use both OP, it would hurt nobody... not like you using a whole stick like Paula Deen.

Then you'd have an oil fire as soon as you tossed any in the pan...

Okay, so that means I CAN get my pan hot enough using an electric stove.

I just have to have it on a shorter time than 15 minutes.

Let based Brit/Chinese dude Khoan Vong be your guide:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3mLejVBfEs

My fried rice is as good as any take-out fried rice now, thanks to him, a carbon steel wok, and the turkey fryer I use to cook it with...

Seriously you guys are all fucking retarded. In restaurants and such, they use a 70/30 or 80/20 mixture of vegetable oil and sesame oil. I don't know how a single person here doesn't know that. I worked in a Chinese restaurant for a year a long time ago and I have colleagues/friends that are chefs, some Oriental and some Caucasian that worked in Chinese places, and they all do this. God I hate Veeky Forums sometimes

Whatever your recipe or preferred oil, just don't use butter.

Even god damn pork fat has a higher smoke point than butter.

palm oil

agree 100% with this guy. food isn't memes. sriracha isn't a meme. sushi isn't a meme. bacon isn't a meme.

You can use butter oil, clarified butter or concentrated butter or however the fuck you call it in your language.

Tastes like butter, smoking point suitable for stir frying.

Amazing for steak.

Haven't posted in this thread before, but

>I worked in a Chinese restaurant

any dank recipes? Or tips for better stir frys?

what about go' za?

I've never used butter. I would imagine it would burn and be bitter. Could go well poured ontop after frying though?

Meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme

Plus it tastes like shit with rice

THIS. REEEEEEEEEE

i guess you could use clarify the butter first if you wantted butter-fried fried rice, but I don't think it would give you much flavor benefit over vegetable oil.

I usually cook with regular vegetable oil, but I've tried it with butter before. Honestly, it's fine. Sure, the "Asian" taste gets replaced by the scent of butter, but it's not like butter has a bad taste or anything. Doesn't even burn if you time it right.

what does that mean?

>SESAME OIL IS A FINISHING OIL

but that's wrong, Monica. It's literally used in most Oriental meat marinades, especially the Japanese-y ones. You must not know how to cook exotic foods. Lurk Moar.

are you talking about light or dark sesame oil?

I use light sesame oil in my wok because it has a super-high smoke point. I use dark in marinades bc it tastes dank AF when mixed with the right flavors.

Has anyone here considered toasting sesame seeds to use as an aromatic for their fried rice?

When I make fried rice I use vegetable oil to actually stir fry it, then I add a little bit of butter towards the end and toss it around.

But I'm SO FAT so please don't listen to me.

thats a pretty good idea.

I think you could lurk here 24 hours a day for a solid year and easily avoid learning any good cookery methods.

Sesame smokes like a motherfucker. Just add a bit towards the end, when everything's cooked

Depends on the sesame oil. You can get it with a high smoke point.