/mushroom/

so who here has been picking mushrooms lately? It's shaggy mane season, and theyve been cropping up everywhere. Surely I cant be the only one.

It would be cool, but I'm smart enough to know I'm too dumb to forage my own.

Too dry here for mushrooms, and even if I could pick mushrooms I'd be too fucking stupid and would ruin my liver/die.

Good man.

Just cooked up some hericium erinaceus I found on a pine log. Fried it up with some entoloma abortivum I found on the mountain trails around here. What do you guys think would be the demand for a mycology general on this board? There's plenty of good eats out there if you know what you're doing. To

how do i make sure i dont pick poisonous mushrooms

Just moved to Oregon and apparently picking mushrooms is a big thing up here. I may give it a go wish some experienced foragers soon.

If you're a beginner, avoid gilled mushrooms (agarics) in general. There's certain easily identifiable species that you could never go wrong with (e.g. Lactarius indigo, hericium erinaceus/americanum, etc.). You're generally okay with most species of boletes (mushrooms with a sponge-like surface under the cap), as the poisonous ones will only cause severe gastrointestinal upset (in general, avoid any bolete that stains blue or has a bright red/orange pore surface).I'm strongly considering making a mycology general, to help people look for these mushrooms. When in doubt, just post pictures on here and we'll try and guide you through it.

Either by becoming a horticulturalist or avoiding picking them altogether.

Also a good warning: if you're REALLY unsure about a mushroom and cant get a positive ID on it, just toss it. A morsel isnt worth several weeks/months/death of sickness.

If you are the mycology guy from a while back you might know this.

A long time ago, maybe 5 years or more IIRC, I saw an app for your phone at allows you to take a couple of pictures of a mushroom (I think it was top , underside, and stem) and then upload them to the app and the app tells you what kind of mushroom it could be with links to them with pictures, descriptions, etc so you could figure it out.

Basically it was like a mushroom ID app that also had like an encyclopedia section you could access to just browse. Like one of those mushroom guide books that you could search and that would also tell you what it is automatically.

I haven't been able to find it since but I've been looking for years.

I'm not that guy unfortunately, but I do know that mushroom identification relies pretty heavily on the features that would be captured by those specific photo angles. Specificially, the gill structure, the absence/presence of a universal/partial veil (or annulus/volva), the spore print color, and the pileus features. Though with many agarics, I would only feel comfortable giving a positiv ID to a mushroom that I had a spore print of, a description of the substrate (ex, what the mushroom was growing on), and the macroscopic features.

Sorry I cant help you find the app, but if you post those photos described in this thread, I'd be happy to try to ID it for you.

I picked my first mushroom - sheep's head.
It was a few weeks ago though. I cooked it in butter with some onions and ate it on a bagel.

My parents have 27 acres of land (half forest half prairie) not too far from where I live, and I'm thinking of getting more into mushroom harvesting for that sweet ass free fungus.
I started with sheep's head since the only lookalike it has won't kill you.

Lobsters and chanterelles. Made soup. It was divine.

Going with knowledgeable folks and joining a local mushroom club is the way to learn. Going by a field guide isn't a good idea, because you have to learn what morphological characters you should look for.

Is this mushroom edible?

Can't tell, you've cut off the base of the stem which is pretty crucial for identifying it. That looks too close to a death cap (amanita phalloides) for comfort. You should throw it out.

hallucinogenic mushrooms> pleb mushrooms

Aren't death caps green? This one is grey almost silver in colour.

just once

They can be white.
Also don't take advice on what is poisonous and what not from fucking Veeky Forums you retard.
Always assume we want to kill you.

If you're not 100% positively sure about what you are just going to pick, don't pick it and leave it there. That also applies to any mushroom picked "for later identification". All it takes to die painfully is one small bite in some species.

Fresh crop of shaggy manes popped up in my yard today. Gonna stick these babies on rye toast with a slice of Swiss... Oh baby.