I need to know, how much am I expected to tip on holidays?

I need to know, how much am I expected to tip on holidays?

We're planning on going to Applebee's for Thanksgiving dinner but I don't know how much I'm supposed to tip since it's one of this biggest holidays and the staff are working on the holiday I think it might be a higher rate.
Is 45% overkill or is it ok? Too little?

they get holiday pay so no to all of that

le monke

In America waiters get paid $2.50 while waistresses make $0.85 on average and it doesn't change on holidays.

There's generally suggested gratuity on checks. Maybe add a few bucks to that or a 20 if you're feeling generous.

Only broke cucks check the reciepts for "suggested gratuity".

your and idiot

They don't get paid $2.50. They get paid minimum wage, but if they can't make the difference in tips, management has to supplement the cost. However, if you can't make that up in tips, you will most likely be fired which is why the system is pants on head retarded and assumes the customer will somehow pay their salary when it's managements job to do that.

Don't tip at all. There is literally no reason to tip.

>management has to supplement the cost.
Like that happens with so many bars and dives hiring teen girls to work part time. This is even made worse by how many people are hired and paid off the books because they are illegal. I will agree the system is fucking retarded though.

Obviously its stupid to make blanket statements like, "it always happens" but with the exception of a few outliers it does always happen because most decent and above restaurants don't have grandma in the back doing payroll and it gets done automatically.

However, I've worked in the industry over a decade and never once have I seen a single person get a check like that. They always make way more than enough to qualify for it. There may be a slow night here or there but even then they usually make minimum wage or above and if they have a really bad night the other nights in the pay period more than balance it out.

Ask a server if they would rather make minimum wage or tipping wage+tips. Almost all of them will choose tips because they make way more that way. Most make as much or more than the cooks.

I'm an actual waiter
If the gratuity isn't added, just tip 18%. If its a holiday and you don't want to be a douche, put on an extra 5-10%.

At the end of the night, I tip out to the bar, the dishwasher, and the busser. I pay out cash purchases including the tax on them (so 0 in tips cost me money), and my pay is $2.13/hr.

This is at a better than usual place for servers too, so I'm sure applebees is a bit shittier. Take that info for what you will.

>If the gratuity isn't added, just tip 18%.

Or you know, tip whatever you feel is appropriate. Tipping should be based on service. Tipping a flat rate has never made sense to me and I have work in this industry my whole life. If I go in and order 2 $20 meals or 2 $30 meals the amount of work you have put in is the same. Why should you get more money just because I chose to buy a more expensive dish or get an extra $40 if I order a $200 bottle of wine?

>If its a holiday and you don't want to be a douche, put on an extra 5-10%.

Really depends on the holiday and the situations. People should use their own judgement to determine what is and isn't appropriate but again tip should be based on service. If you feel like being charitable go for it but don't feel obligated to tip extra because it is a holiday.

>At the end of the night, I tip out to the bar, the dishwasher, and the busser. I pay out cash purchases including the tax on them (so 0 in tips cost me money), and my pay is $2.13/hr.

I have never worked at a place that tipped out dishwashers and the like. Most tipped out bartenders as they should since they are making all of the drinks and also usually getting paid tipping wages. Personally I tip for alcohol and food separately.

IME, aside from management, bartenders do tend to make the best money but that should be obvious. Servers and most cooks make about the same with some cooks making a little more or less on average based on position and seniority. Other staff is paid regular hourly wages.

> I pay out cash purchases including the tax on them (so 0 in tips cost me money),

We all know that getting 0 in tips is not the norm and end in end it balances out in your favor especially considering: "This is at a better than usual place for servers"

>my pay is $2.13/hr

Every server I have ever met that worked for tipping wages viewed their payroll check as essentially a negligible bonus at the end of the pay period.

No Wonder U A Broke Nigga U Aint Workin Fo SHit

>We're planning on going to Applebee's for Thanksgiving dinner
jesus christ flyovers' lives are so sad

What's wrong with that? Some people don't have time to cook a turkey.

If you live in a flyover state or are visiting one m8

OP here, I don't really live in a flyover state. I'm slat dab in the middle of Branson. Culinary capital of the US East Coast.

Eating at a restaurant in America sounds like a complicated act of charity and unspoken social obligations.

bump

if they are getting paid under the table like you said then maybe, but i doubt the waitstaff is since they have to claim tips and credit card statments can't be fudged easliy
they have to report how much they paid the waitstaff, this includes how many tips they claimed
if they lied and said that the waitstaff had more tips than what actually came in, so they don't have cover the difference to minimum wage, then they still pay taxes for an inflated income
this is stupid because now they are essentially increases their tax payout to the g-man just to stiff the waitstaff of minimum wage

More like
>I've been cucked over by my country's social obligations, please subsidize my employers bottom line!

It's a fucking joke to anyone outside of the US.

>Thanksgiving
You better fucking tip at least 30%.
Thanksgiving and Christmas are both holidays that you should tip a huge amount. If they're going to be forced to not have time with their families they might as well get paid.
Also fuck you for going out on a holiday, jesus

Why do people have supposed to be tipping more on holidays?

What did he mean by this?

le monke