Surströmming

So I have a few questions for some of the Swedes here.

Now I know this smells like death when you open it. However, Something inside me really wants it and i think that I would love it. I love very pungent and acidic foods.
Anyway. As I said I have a few questions as I have ordered a 300g can of the very finest Oskars Surströmming today.
>Can I put this in a container in the refrigerator if I don't finish it all?
>I know this is traditionally eaten with Tunnbröd however that shit is hard to find. can I use Matza instead?
>What are some recipes you like to use?
>Anything you think I should know?

>Pic related
Something in my blood really want's this shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kDr0Kbbw6D0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_(potato)
m.ebay.ca/itm/252505014120?_mwBanner=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Take a gander.

Does anyone know anything about this obscure food?
I would really like to know
>Please Respond.

Why do Swedes say it is traditionally eaten with tomatoes if there was no way tomatoes were introduced to Sweden before contact with Mesoamerica?

I'm not a Swede, but I think I can answer your first question here...

>Can I put this in a container in the refrigerator if I don't finish it all?

Sure, however if you have done any research at all, this shit is eaten outdoors for a reason...the smell lingers, so its not stored nor eaten indoors...

However, if you don't mind yer mums fridge smelling like rotten corpse for the next few weeks, then go right ahead there matey...

well i know to eat it outside. i was just unable to find anything on storing it.what if i use a gasket jar?
I've only heard of it being eaten with cheese, potatoes, onion, and butter.

Another question I have is regarding tunnbröd and if it is anything like matza.

i realize i would have to burp it everyday I'm not a complete idiot. and i know a single drop can ruin someones car.

Same thing goes for potatoes actually.
I can vouch for tomatoes being pretty good with surströmming, but not wholly necessary, pretty nice for that sweetness and slight acidity

>>Can I put this in a container in the refrigerator if I don't finish it all?
It will only last for a day or so after opened, after that it starts to smell even worse. I had some leftovers that I saved for 2 days, didnt have a chance to try the taste though since I got complaints from my dorm mates and had to throw it out. The smell in general can be quite bad but it will completely dissapate in a couple of days

>>I know this is traditionally eaten with Tunnbröd however that shit is hard to find. can I use Matza instead?
I guess, the tunnbröd is mostly for mouthfeel and convenience imo

>>What are some recipes you like to use?
On tunnbröd with slices of potatoes, a bit of tomato, diced onions or chives and sour cream as well as a tiny bit of shredded aged cheese

>>Anything you think I should know?
open the can under water, or else it will squirt at ya from the pressure

Thanks for the answers. Since I'm in the states I don't get to smell this often. In fact I never have. I'm going to put it in a bag to open it and I'll be outside. When the tin comes in the mail im going to chill it and gather the family to take in the wonderful smell of death when I open the can.
Again thank you very much good sir.

Is sour, vinegar and salt all you taste or is it kind of just like a rotten anchovy?

Mostly salt, but with the pungent "rotten-ness" contributing to the aroma.
And it doesn't really taste sour as in vinegar, more lactic acid or something, from the bacterial fermentation I suppose.

Interesting. I actually might like this stuff. so far anchovies are my favorite fish snack. Very salty. I also love very pungent food too.
If I am understanding correctly the sour would be more of a sour meat taste? That may take some getting used to but I'm going to eat that whole can. I promise I wont vomit haha.
I can't get over how good this looks. My 300g can arrives anywhere from November 7th November 14th

You have been very helpful to me and I very much appreciate it. Tell me. Are you from Sweden or around the area?

Yep, native Swede. I live pretty close to the region where they produce the stuff, near the baltic sea. I grew up with it being a traditional food and all that, but I didn't really acquire the taste for it until my late teens.

a couple of more things, it goes great with a cold pilsner beer or a glass of milk for that matter.
also it's packaged/conserved whole w/o head, so you have to gut it and clean it yourself. The female fish can have roe, which some people like an some think are yucky.
But if you've bought ready filets, you don't have to bother with all that.

I purchased the whole headless fish like the can in OP. I grew up on a river so gutting a fish is not going to be a problem for me. I also happen to love beer and milk. I get a kick out of the YouTube videos of people trying to muscle down a whole fish and vomiting everywhere. I did do a little research as to how to skin and gut the fish quickly and what parts to flush. I might like the row. Usually out of other fish and shellfish it's very good.
I purchased my can for the equivalent of 262.05 kr with free shipping to the US. How much does it cost in Sweden? I would Imagine cheaper.

Roe*
>I feel like a dumb ass now.

The 300g can costs 40-70 kr, depending stuff such as brand, shipping distance and if it's in season or not.

Well, you certainly seem to be up for it and have the right stuff to stomach the experience. I hope you'll enjoy the surströmming.

I don't know what it is. It just seems to be calling me from the inside. Ever since I saw someone eat it I have been dying to try it.
Might be that Finnish blood. I hear we'll eat anything.
70 kr is about 8 dollars here so the 260 kr to have it shipped to the states doesn't seem all that bad.

I've met a good user today. Have a wonderful life my good sir. I'm off for the night.

>Finnish blood
Lucky you..

Uh oh what did I do. I know nothing more than I'm Finnish
Am I doomed?

Mämmi :-^DDD
sauna :DDDD

>Finnish blood. I hear we'll eat anything.

I'm finnish and I can't fucking stand surstromming.

I'm with you, OP. Ever since I saw this video, I've wanted to try it. Guy makes eating Surstromming by the lake on a summer day look 10/10 comfy

youtu.be/kDr0Kbbw6D0

>that feel when surströmming beard

Anchovies or sardines, with butter, onions, potato, leek and dill on flatbread.

No wait, maybe rakfisk? Idk, the fish is pretty hidden.

I have to somehow try this one day.

I love herring. I just eat roll mops, it's all I can get where I live.

I havent personally eaten surströmming, but Im swedish so I kind off know how it should be done.

Those who really love the taste eat it basically on its own, but common condiments include red or yellow onion (or chives), sourcream, potatoes (this one en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_(potato) not sure what kind that would be outside of scandinavia) eaten on either soft or hard flatbread. Basically the same as you'd eat with any kind of pickled herring. I think Matza would be perfect, as it seems pretty similiar to a certain scandinavian bread type.

Mämmi sounds pretty good actually.
Not a fan of diving into cold water after a hot sauna
You can get that shit right on ebay from this guy.
m.ebay.ca/itm/252505014120?_mwBanner=1

That shit sounds really good I love anchovies.
Thanks for the advice.

IF you enjoy the smell then yes
no
Potatoes
It smells like shit, but open the can and rinse it with water and it will get better

Nevermind that's a swedish sauna. Fuck the Finnish sauna.

If I can eat a dirty pussy you think I'll be okay?

You do realize that most "traditional" foods are not from the fucking stone age, yeah?

Op, Swede here. Open it under water, like in a small tub you brought outside. It keeps the smell from permeating and keeps the juice from squirting out like an angry skunk.

They're typically washed lightly then eaten with things. Most dumbasses eat it straight then wonder why it tastes like complete death. It's .. kind of like marmite I suppose. Eat it sparingly, and with other items with it. It's fine if you do it like that.

i don't know about the surstromming but baltic sea herring is pretty good

I love Herring.
I want the smell to permeate. I hate my neighbors and I also want the experience of the full death smell. Probably going to dump the extra juice in my neighbor's cars. They sold Heroin to my step brother and now hes dead and the police wont do anything. But none of that matters.
I'm serious about this someone please respond.

If you want to you can try and making your own flatbread. It's a peasant food that's very easy to make and doesn't call for luxurious ingredients.

It doesn't taste bad man, it's really good
t. norrlänning

I have a feeling I am going to love it. I just know it's also going to make my drug dealer neighbors hate running drugs. For a few days anyway.
I don't want to mislead anyone. The reason I am getting this is because I really want it. I can feel it in my bones.
I just also really hate my neighbors. What better way to hurt their business is there than to make them hate getting in their car.

Whoops wrong post.

OP here. I bet it would be good in a salad.
maybe some good lettuce with onions, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, croutons, surströmming, and some good sharp cheese.