What does Veeky Forums think of deer meat?

what does Veeky Forums think of deer meat?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKscFghXQwI
youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0f5QtSLsI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>deer meat

You were looking for a word and you didn't find it.

And that word is "veal".

Ohhh, bad luck user. Double or nothing?

it's mutton retard

Veal is the meat from young beef you retard

Mutton is old sheep

It's quite expensive.

Venison is deer.

Ding ding ding

Well, we got there in the end.

Does taste 100% better than bucks

>venison
>expensive

Wooo found the limey.

It's too expensive if bought from a store

If you kill one yourself you'll be eating deer meat for so long you'll get sick of it

Axis deer - yes
Mule deer - yes
Whitetail deer - NOPE, except when it's made into sausage or salami. Otherwise it's gamey as fuck.

It's shit.

>venison
>deer
>expensive

Whoosh you fucking dumb cunt

Deer liver is GOAT

>buying venison
You from the city, ain't ya boy?
Seriously though deer steaks cooked rare with a nice sear on the outside are pretty good. Venison sausage and beef sticks are good. That's about all I get. I just take the stuff my brother doesnt have room for in his freezer.

Venison changes flavor depending on where it comes from. Midwest deer taste the "best" to non-game eaters because has been eating corn and wheat its entire life. Deer from the north east, like Michigan, have been eating a lot of pine and its a totally different taste. Western deer eat a ton of shrubbery, which again is a totally different taste.

After you have enough of it, you can usually tell what state a deer came from just by taste. To me, Southern Illinois, Indiana and Iowa deer will always taste best

>always taste best

Meaning like beef, because of a primarily corn diet? No thanks. The deer I get in the midsouth have a lot of acorn in their diets and I like that unique gameyness you get from it.

Distateful gameyness comes from not field dressing promptly or a poor marksman gutshooting the deer.

Its alright, been a long time since i've had it. Have tried Deer Sausage & Deer Burgers.

deer sausage ist the best sausage... dry it for 2 or 3 motnhs it tastes amazing

>>venison
>>expensive

When it comes to hunting deer, venison can end up costing more then Kobi beef, after you add up all the associated costs of going hunting; guns and bows, ammo and arrows, beer, food, hunting property, feed plots and bait, RV camper, "scent free" clothes, GoreTex boots, various gee-whizz gadgets guaranteed to get a Boone & Crockett buck and so on.

*Kobe

Except the real expensive stuff usually lasts you a long time and you can buy cheaper used guns.

I've only had it a couple times but I would gladly give up beef for it if I could.

Don't forget deer heart f a m

Family never hunted and mother didn't like venison, so I've rarely had it. The few time I did though were in my uncles deer chili and deer jerky. The chili tasted normal, but the jerky was very good. Kind of want to try more of it, but I have never gone hunting before and don't feel like buying it in the store

Nobody who is into deer hunting does it on the cheep, spending all kinda money on the hobby is half the fun.

Just like any hobby, I'm just saying there are ways to make it cheaper.

Sure, you can go full-cheepo and get a bargain firearm and wander about on state/Fed land but odds are very good that you won't be getting a deer that way.

>bargain firearm

Thinks his marksmansip improves more than 1mm-2mm at 300 yards because he uses an expensive rifle.

>wander on govt land

Thinks some of us don't own land where the deer can literally be shot from the back porch.

Dipshit. I would never hunt on public land. Too many numbskull wannabees like you stumbling around.

>doesn't understand MOA
Faggot.

Me

Tasty, healthy, versatile. We get them processed into anything from sausage to jerky and ground meat for chili or burgers.

The backstrap is always the prize cut for me though.

My man!

Just polished off a bowl of some homemade venison chili myself. Great stuff, can never be happy with beef when you've got venison chili.

Also as to the idiot who thinks deer hunting is expensive: What do you think a guy goes out in the woods with all this expensive gear and uses it once, then tosses it away? Yeah it can get expensive because hunting is a hobby.

Here's an example of how cheap it is. My dad has been hunting since 1978 when he met his mother and gained access to private farm property. He bought a Remington 1100, the best semi-automatic shotgun that I can say from experience, for $250. He wears coveralls to maintain his heat and bought a $100 vest. Ammo is cheap when you know where to buy it from and when to buy it. Also, he's a dead eye marksman with the thing. In my hunting group, my father puts down more deer than the rest of us combined in most seasons. Best year we had on record was 2012, when I shot two, he shot 10, and the other five guys shot one apiece. It was a big year for deer in the area so the DNR were selling antlerless tags like hot cakes. We had so much deer meat it lasted the entire year with deer on the menu at least twice a week.

Only an idiot city shit will say deer hunting is expensive. It's because the jack holes buy expensive guns and gear, go out of state hunting which increases the price of a tag ten times, and go to plots of land specifically designed so a city shit could nab himself a tame deer in a blissful afternoon without any effort. Those places also cost an arm to hunt on.

We have a family member who goes hunting and gives us a shit load of ground meat that usually lasts half a year at least.

Although about 1 out of 8 packages taste putrid for some reason.

mule deer?

He's not field cleaning it properly. Though skunky bucks add a shit ton of gameyness to the flavor venison. The only time it tastes gamey is if he busted the gut and let it sit in the cavity for awhile before washing it out.

I think it's fuckin tasty.

I don't understand 'gamey-ness' when it comes to venison. White tail, mule, axis, moose and elk all taste like sweeter beef to me.
I've eaten some backwards ass raccoon, opossum, coyote, etc which I assume tasted 'gamey' due how fucking shit it is. Greasy, earthy, sometimes almost copper-like. Never tasted that with cervines.

depends on their diet, the closer you are to farmland the more likely all those animals are eating grains instead of just shit ass weeds

i had some Venison Fajitas once and it was one of, if not the best thing i ever but in my mouth

It's not inherently an expensive hobby, that user was right.
Where I'm from, for some people it's a way of life and feeding your family in the winter, these are usually the same people you see hunting rabbit and fishing in the woods. These are also the same people who don't really need to buy expensive gear and gadgets or a new cameo suit every season, they just have one or a few rifles/bows and an orange jacket in the closet somewhere and only have to buy a license and tags every season. People who hunt for sport and trophies are one thing are one thing, but the majority just hunt simply with the information they learned from uncles and fathers.
There's less people who do it now of course, but most people have at least two or three family members who are hunters.
Guns aren't even hard to come by either, and I live in Canada where there's apparently "no guns".

They're good for butchering

>Where I'm from, for some people it's a way of life and feeding your family in the winter

This isn't 1816 anymore and unless you're poaching extensively, the 3 deer you're legally allowed to get per season (here in Michigan, assuming you fill your tag) isn't enough to feed a family.

Oh I fucking love venison. Moose is also quite good. Like beef but with a slightly tougher texture due to being so muscled, though I find it to be a rather pleasant quality in moose because it's given a sort of chewiness (particularly in goulash) as opposed to tough beef (which usually sucks).

Also no hormones, free range and eats exactly what it's meant to. Healthy as all fuck.

I figure it ain't feeding a large family completely, but you might be surprised what a good butcher can get off of even a rather small deer
youtube.com/watch?v=BKscFghXQwI

And if you get a good roe sized animal, or even three youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0f5QtSLsI
That's not an insignificant amount of meat

Again, not likely to feed an entire family just on that, but if it's just you out there, you could put up a lot of your meat consumption with a few deer bags

Do you not hunt with your family?
I hunt near the Mecosta Osceola line.
Between myself, my wife, and a friend who lives with me, we usually average 6 or 7 deer.
Even 2 deer can last quite a while if your butcher knows what they're doing.
Between deer, fowl, and small game (which are mostly year round,) you can feed yourself pretty well.

I tend to associate my venison with the spicy/savory breakfast variety. Or with some gravy and fresh fruit.
Shooting them out in Piedres Negras I guess might have something to do with that.
Either way: literal freezer full of venison working on since last winter.

Powders Negras being so far south-west Texas, it's basically Mexico.

>you can feed yourself pretty well.

You're not really "feeding yourself" as you can't bag enough game to eat all year 'round, you're supplementing your store bought diet with wild game.

Confirmed for someone who has never hunted

This is the most correct answer.
You're pretty good.

... how much do you eat? You're supposed to have other things at meals aside from meat, guy.
I'm supplementing the game I've killed and the vegetables I've farmed with stuff that's too labor intensive to deal with, like flour.
I'm not even a prepper or anything. Why is this so hard for you to believe?

mutton is sheep asshole

Venison the word is Venison. But most people outside the city call it deer meat

If I find some in my garden, I'll harvest it.

>RV camper
What the fuck? Who the hell goes hunting with an RV? And hunting with bait isn't even legal in some places.
>nobody who is into deer hunting does it on the cheep
You do realize not everyone is wealthy, right? Can you wrap your head around that?

always feel bad when I kill one because it shares my DNA. really this planet is a cannibal island.

It's okay. Beef is way better.

Enjoy starving you dumb nug. You share DNA with fucking everything.
Unless that was your low-tier shitposts' intention.

I still kill and eat them.

Oh. Okay fäm.

Delicious but expensive most of the time.

great if it's genuinely hunted fresh. I had an uncle growing up who would send us some venison yearly and it was amazing, so i tried getting some from the store but it was terrible.

Deer meat is nice since it has a subtler game taste than other wild animals. It's not as strong (generally). Very balanced and great to make into a stew or even a burger. Universal, really.

>
> > bargain firearm
>
> Thinks his marksmansip improves more than 1mm-2mm at 300 yards because he uses an expensive rifle.

The vast majority of deer hunters are not taking 300 yard shots and if they are, they’re dumbasses.

> > wander on govt land
>
> Thinks some of us don't own land where the deer can literally be shot from the back porch.

That’s nice, but most people do not own hunt-able land and thus in fact do hunt on state/Fed lands.

>I now remember that terrifying fucking thread

thanks Veeky Forums I'm not going to be able to take a shower tonight

Well now I'm goddamn curious

It's very deer to me.

> I'm supplementing the game I've killed and the vegetables I've farmed

Yeah, you’re a regular Grizzly Adams but the vast majority of hunters are not and just want to bag a buck in the couple of weekends they have free from the bitching wife and screaming kids and that means spending money on gear and such that will (hopefully) get them a deer.

> > RV camper
> What the fuck? Who the hell goes hunting with an RV? And hunting with bait isn't even legal in some places.

Lots of people use campers and RVs for deer hunting, my buddy just bought pic related last year, exclusively for deer hunting on 40 leased acres up in Michigan’s Thumb that he pays $1600 per year for.

> > nobody who is into deer hunting does it on the cheep
> You do realize not everyone is wealthy, right? Can you wrap your head around that?

I’m 49 years old, son. I did deer hunting in tents and pop-up campers and RVs and like damn near everybody who deer hunts, continued to up-grade the quality and comfort of my hunting experiance as finances allowed.

But feel free to run around in moccasins with a sharpened stick…

Camper4Lyfe
SW Texas in """winter""" midst a veritable desert wouldn't be fun without em.
And portion: having a fucking camper after years and years doesn't exactly make you wealthy.
Perhaps some financials skills are in order.

^ whoops. The last two lines refer to dumb user. Not yourself.

>Be from Wisconsin
>Shoot plenty of deer
>Eat tons of cheap venison

Feels good man

I love the savage lever guns as a whole

>Thinks it matters

Marlin 30-30 works good on deer in the Aussie bush

>RV Camping
>Not investing in an actual camp

Also, venison is best meat.

I don't see how anyone can think deer is expensive.

>live in oregon
>deer and elk a - plenty
>driving at 4 in the morning
>doe runs in front of car
>I instinctively flash my brights and blind the little tramp
>ever so gently ram her with my truck
>breaks her back, knocks her out, and only blood shots a small part of the meat
>jump out, slit it's neck, gut it, and take home to skin and prep for chopping
>was only a half hour late to work
>Nobody even noticed

I'm not even a redneck. I moved here from Southern California not too long ago. But when you want something, you fucking make it happen.

You have no idea what you're talking about. It'd be cute if it wasn't so cringe inducing.

>Be in southern New Jersey cars hit dear all the time.
>Buy for really cheap

I thought mutton was any sheep? Is it really just the asshole?

there are two good parts of the deer, backstrap and some other loin.

No meat on deer.

>ever so gently ram her with my truck

You forgot the best part.

I don't get to eat venison too much, but I have to say it's probably the most ethical meat there is.

Here in New Jersey they're a serious problem, I totaled my car one night (wasn't drunk or speeding) because a deer literally ran in front of my car and then straight into it. And they have a chance to live wild and free before hunters get to them. No guilt of an animal that lived its entire life in a cramped area. I think hunting is pretty humane, and kinda necessary. I want to eat wild boar for the same reason.

And on top of that it's delicious too.

Fuck those people. Learn how to food, faggots.

what is "venison" alex

Liverr is a poison filter and deer liver can have ridiculous parasites in it.