Butter vs margarine

What do you use?
What SHOULD you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

californiaavocadosdirect.com/13/use-avocado-as-a-healthy-butter-substitute.aspx
organicauthority.com/eco-chic-table/avocado-and-other-butter-substitutes-for-baking.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Butter.
Butter.

Margarine is a literal tub of cancer.

Margarine exists to kill off poor people

Neither

Margarine was one of those foods developed to mimic butter during wartime rationing.

In every developed country except the US, it ceased to exist except during periods of hardship or among the very poorest. In the US it came to be preferred to real butter. Surprise, surprise.

I use margarine to bake vegan cakes. I find it disgusting.

margarine. Less sat fat = cleaner arteries.

Margarine is a trans-fat resulting in more cancer and heart disease than butter. It also contains petroleum byproducts from the manufacturing process.

>He believes the saturated fat maymay

Good goy

user please

Butter only, ever.

Just cook less foods which call for butter, and when you absolutely must use butter, use less. Use olive oil for cooking where possible. No excuse for margarine ever.

I used to be sick all the time. My mom bought and cooked with miracle whip, margarine (country crock), splenda, fat-free products, frozen and canned food, etc.

When I moved, I had no loyalty to any of those products, so I bought real butter and sugar. My allergies went away, I stopped getting sick every few months, I felt better, my anxiety levels were lower, etc.

It's not proof of anything, but I think it's worth taking a look at.

Butter.

Any recipe that recommends margarine gets butter, olive oil, shortening (or combination thereof).

I just use grease from fatty meat

Butter.

However if you are a fat ass like my MIL who insists on eating bread and using a ton of butter you get margarine.

For general use I use margarine. For baking and cooking I use butter.

i use butter
you should use butter

they have nearly the same number of calories per given amount; what the fuck is the difference in switching?

Coconut oil.

Butter, lard, and olive oil/coconut oil are the only things you need.

If you have seen 'Last Tango in Paris' you know butter is the way to go.

Sunflower is better in some situations and rapeseed is needed for deep fat frying.

Butter in all cases. Never margarine.

I was raised to believe that margerine is literally the devil in a tub. Then again, I do come from dairy farmers..

butter is an all natural, whole food (or mostly whole food, just extracted from milk). margarine is an artificial construc that doesnt melt properly and has incorrect mouth feel. and dont get me started on trans fats. even regular palm shortening marg is awful.
god tier fats:
chicken fat, lard, butter, ghee, coconut oil, olive oil. toasted sesame oil (havent tried using beef fat, probably god tier), horse fat for french fries
shit tier fats: the rest

Still common in Canada.

We were poor. I was raised on margarine. Tried butter when I moved out. Never looked back.

Butter. Margarine tastes like sweaty armpits and is meant for poor degenerates.

this

I want everyone here to know that Margerine is common in the US because, at the time it became popular during wartime, refrigeration was just coming into the norm for rich people and was a way to show off affluence. Thus, butter became a refrigerated product for Americans and remains that way to this day. Butter, when refrigerated, DOES NOT SPREAD. So Americans need a spreadable butter because there is a widespread belief that butter needs to be refrigerated. Most of Americans don't know that margerine is worse for you than butter because it's marketed as a healthier alternative ("I can't believe it's not butter") that is SPREADABLE when refrigerated. These are the exact reasons why margerine is popular.

What's "margerine"?

tl;dr: margarine is popular in the states because the people there are fucking retarded sheeple.

Still common in mexico too.
>Try to find butter in supermarkets
>Doesn't exist
Im not even kidding, i travel to a farm to buy a lot.

It was hard to say good bye,
I didn't have an alibi.
I saw Margarine cried,
I never felt so lone.

Me and Margarine, happy as can be.
We were kissing in the moonlight,
we were walking by the sea.
Me and Margarine, my spanish girl and me.
We were going to last forever,
but we lasted just a week.
La La, dam dam etc.
Oh Margarine, my little spanish bombida.
Now I'm drinking Margaritas,
and trying to forget.
But everytime I order one,
I think of her instead.
Me and Margarine,
anyone could see.
We were going to last forever,
but we lasted just a week.
And I sing: La la, dam dam etc.
Me and Margarine..
One more time..
Hey hey..
Me and Margarine,
happy as can be.

>not mentioning duck fat

p l e b

what was the whole deal in the 80's? margarine was healthier and then it wasn't?

I buy both. We use margarine for everyday stuff, because it's cheaper and we get more of it, but we always have butter for things we want to taste better. For example, we're gonna make pasta with a roux this weak and we'll use some.

Margarine has a bunch of extra shit and poor quality plant based oils in it, it was never healthier, just a bunch of dumb people believing snakes oil salesmen.

They had ads that said "Doctors recommend these cigarettes" back in the 20ies, does that mean that cigarettes used to not cause cancer? Think for a second.

Almost always butter. Margarine can be a cheap alternative in some baking applications without affecting taste.

Both and both.....it's all good senpai

Margarine has a place for baking and in climates with no access that don't keep butter. There is a reason Indians clarify butter to preserve it.

it only exists in NA due to strong lobbying by corn producers (monsanto and their ilk). not to mention paid medical studies which falsely implicated consumption of butter with heart disease. basically all a sham

all lies. special interests driving the bus in medical research and government/media lobbying.

We make our own margarine.

Blend the following with an immersion blender until smooth:

2/3 cup unsweetened/plain soy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar + 1 tsp lemon juice + 4 tsp soy lecithin + 1 tsp nutritional yeast + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum + 1/2 teaspoon salt

While blending, slowly pour in:

2/3 cup coconut oil + 2/3 cup meltedcoconut oil

And blend until fully incorporated/smooth. Pour into a dish and stick it in the refrigerator for an hour or two.

err, that's 2/3 cup canola oil + 2/3 cup melted coconut oil

I can feel the arteries clogging up already.

You're an idiot.

Doesn't seem any worse than butter though. No trans fats in what said.

>What do you use?
Neither
>What SHOULD you use?
Avocado.

If you need it for a recipe and not a sandwich, butter. Margarine is vile.

It's common in Germany, too.
I grew up on margarine and stopped eating it when I moved out.

i use butter
everyone should use butter

healthier and better tasting than margarine

use peanut for frying

or just dont deep fry at all

i stopped eating deep fried stuff and my life has gotten steadily worse

What is non-hydrogenated margarine?

>i stopped eating deep fried stuff and my life has gotten steadily worse

Wuht

I fucking hate butter and margarine

whats the appeal of eating cold fat

yep

shitskin detected
i bet you're lactose intolerant as well

I only use butter on sandwitches when I've run out of actual food or in a hurry. Otherwise it only goes into some other food that's not cold. Just one place where you occasionally use butter doesn't seem that bad and on the plus side the sandwitches don't get stuck in your throat.

Avocado.
californiaavocadosdirect.com/13/use-avocado-as-a-healthy-butter-substitute.aspx
organicauthority.com/eco-chic-table/avocado-and-other-butter-substitutes-for-baking.html

That's some vegan tier shit right there. Unless you use American portions of either butter or margarine in food, nothing's going to happen to you.

>substituting nonfat yogurt for butter in baking
lol? How far up your own ass do you have to be to write an article like that without even trying the shit you espouse?

Because I make margarine instead of buying it, or because I don't eat butter?

Why would that be any worse than normal butter? No cholesterol, no trans-fat, about half the saturated fat, a good omega 3:6 ratio from the canola oil, higher protein from the soy milk and nutritional yeast, iron and B12 from the nutritional yeast, etc.

You faggots should try making a poundcake with avocado.
For good measure, you should eat it too.

>In the US it came to be preferred to real butter
You aren't stupid enough to actually believe this, right?

Yes. Until 2010, the amount of margarine sales far exceeeded those for butter. By 2013, butter had taken a slight lead. So yes, until very recently the figures indicate my statement was correct.

oil olive

i'd love to pound your cakes, if you know what I mean :^)

Dutch guy here. I can't speak on behalve of the whole country but from my experiences we use both. Butter gets used for cooking (altough i still prefer using olive oil) and baking. Margarine is used as an extra condinement for bread.

This thread is the first time i read about Margarine being worse than butter for your health.

Only the hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated margarine is worse for health, due to trans-fats. But there are non-hydrogenated margarines available (pic related), or you can make you're own like I do:

Before I used margarine for spread on bread. No more so, lifes to short for 2nd rate alternatives. I do sometimes use some for cooking, meatballs, onions, making sauce. But even that gets even rarer.

>non-hydrogenated
if margarine is made from vegetable oils made solid at room temperature by hydrogenation, how would you make non-hydrogenated margarine?
the most thorough description I've found on healthcastle.com
>Instead of hydrogenating liquid vegetable oil, manufacturers now add a tiny amount of modified palm and palm kernel oil to enhance the spreadability of margarine, creating a soft margarine that's trans fatty acid free.
that implies the amount of modified palm an palm kernel oil would make all of the other (liquid) vegetable oil solid, which to me sounds like the marketing division were there
what gives?

>if margarine is made from vegetable oils made solid at room temperature by hydrogenation, how would you make non-hydrogenated margarine?

Generally, either by mixing the liquid poly-unsaturated fatty acid with a solid saturated fatty acid (e.g., coconut oil or palm oil), and/or by emulsifying the fats with another medium. For example, my home-made margarine uses soy lecithin to emulsify the fats with soy milk, which makes it quite thick, and the xanthan gum makes it thicker; using a mix of coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature) and canola oil allows it to be solid as well.

The only margarine I buy at the store is Earth Balance (since most margarine isn't vegan):

expeller- pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola, olive), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn, no msg, no alcohol, no gluten), crushed soy beans, soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy, derived from sugar beets), naturally extracted annatto for color.

Butter is obviously the best

It's still very common in Brazil, but so is butter. The weird thing is that you can buy 20l of butter with the same money you buy 5 portions of margarine.

This.

Never ever buy margarine.
Ever.

Use butter where it's right.
In all other cases, use the appropriate natural oil (olive oil whenever it suits the task).

Why is margarine avalibe at all? I get the butter freaks dont buy it. But some does?!

Another factor is that American butter is frequently white because American cows are grain fed rather than grass fed, which reduces beta-carotene in their milk, and because American butter typically uses less fat than European butter. Margarine on the other hand is yellow thanks to artificial coloring. Since people know that butter is supposed to be yellow to the untrained eye butter looks fake and margarine looks real.

Incomplete studies pushed by manufacturers. They found that butter had a shitton of saturated fat, which they linked to clogged arteries and heart disease. Margarine on the other hand was low in saturated fat, the healthy alternative! Later on we found that what margarine does have that butter doesn't is trans fat, which is MUCH more damaging than saturated fat.

Shit

>If a recipe calls for a ½ cup of butter, use a ½ cup of non-fat yogurt instead. You can also try vanilla yogurt for a little extra umph.
This is the best thing I've read all day.