My friend gave me this bourbon. It's 'Ezra Brooks' brand bourbon in this Liberty Bell shaped bottle...

My friend gave me this bourbon. It's 'Ezra Brooks' brand bourbon in this Liberty Bell shaped bottle. It was bottled 1969 and was unopened. The seal was still in place. It was opened, the cork was in the bottle. Would it be safe to drink once it's strained? I took a sip earlier and it was strong and tasty, I didn't taste anything particularly wrong although there was a few small flecks of debris.

It's 90 proof if that affects longevity.

Cork top for reference.

Spirits can get corked just like wine, but it's uncommon (and usually because they were stored on their side, which is good for wine but bad for spirits). If there's no moldy cork taste the liquor is fine.

Do you people understand the environment in which bacteria can exist? Do you know why wine is wine and grog was introduced to the royal navy?

who are you talking to?

It's plenty safe to drink but you done fucked up, boy. vintage spirits like that can go for many many hundreds of dollars. That was at least a $500 seal you just broke- hope you enjoy the whiskey at least

I was curious about this OP. if I understand correctly this was bottled in 1969 after aging to nearly 13yrs? I mean Ezra Brooks isn't usually something great but still, that's truly outrageous.

Also - spirits don't "age" once bottled. They will change some once bottled, but not like a spirit in a cask and not like a beer or wine.

Also : op is a dip shit

Just drink it

That bottle looks fucking weird.

How does it taste?

I know, I'm really fucking upset the seal broke. My friend found it at a yard sale and have it to me for my birthday. When it was at his house, his dad looked at it and fucking dropped it... We do realize what happened, just happy it wasn't a glass bottle

It's really tasty, best whiskey I've ever had. Strong flavor, moderately smokey. I had barely a drop, so that's all I got from it at first. Nice and fruity on the nose, I'm excited to try more.

Damn I'd love to try some if it wasn't so fucking expensive.

Come over, user. Let's have some and play croquet with some if my buddies

Must've tasted like liberty and freedom

Be careful. A lot of specialty decanters from that time period will allow lead to leach into the bourbon.

You won't be able to tell if it's fucked or not because bourbon always tastes like garbage. Just filter it and glue the seal back on. That label also looks very suspicious, it's more likely the booze is old but was bottled recently.

What city do you live in?

Took a second look at the picture in the OP. It is sunny outside. No way is that place anywhere near Seattle.

Opposite side of the country ;_;

Bump

good OC thread. Ezra Brooks used to be a top shelf brand (although no bourbon was really top shelf until recently, it was always seen as white trash/new money substitute for real whiskys).

those commemorative bottles were all the rage in the 60s and early 70s, but they're pretty kitsch right now, it's like tiki bar shit