Okay guys so my life is a nigger right now. After being unemployed for months I finally got a job at a car dealership...

Okay guys so my life is a nigger right now. After being unemployed for months I finally got a job at a car dealership. I'm very upset though. I applied for the role of Internet Sales Manager and was under the impression I would be calling and emailing people, managing the facebook page, etc in order to get internet leads to actually come to the dealership so the salespeople can sell them cars.

Lo and behold it turns out that I am actually just a car salesman and doing the same thing as everyone else. I want to quit, because I'm working 11 hour days for $8.50 base pay, and my commission is just 15% of the Dealership's profit on a vehicle. This means when I sell a car I will make $100 minimum but usually not more than 200 or 300 unless it's a used car. On top of that, the commission is taken out of my base pay. So let's say in a given month my base pay is equivalent to 500 a week or 2000 per month. If I make $2200 in commission from selling a number of cars, I only actually get an extra $200 on top of my base pay.

Is this fucked or is this really how it is at all car dealerships? I can't help but feeling like I got swindled, although it is cool to take the cars out for test drives. I'm about to quit anyway as I just got my tax refund check and that can allow me to survive for a few months. Anyway, any of you worked in a dealership before? Is my experience typical?

Other urls found in this thread:

yelp.com/biz/state-line-chrysler-dodge-ram-jeep-kansas-city
twitter.com/AnonBabble

everyone here is a neet who has their life savings invested in ponzi's sorry man

it's okay I posted on Veeky Forums too just figured I'd get a baseline reading here. If anything I will continue working there solely to dump money into the ponzi

Youre getting raped OP. You might not realize it but your boss is balls deep in your ass right now.

gotta agree. owners dick is berried so far up your ass that king arthur couldnt get it out

guess I gotta quit then

How is commission taken out of base pay??? Lol that's the fuckin stupidest shit I ever heard. Why sell any cars at all. You are getting fucked lol

>commission taken out of base pay
You're saying that they deduct your pay from your pay? The fuck? Sounds like a scam if I ever heard one.

>So let's say in a given month my base pay is equivalent to 500 a week or 2000 per month. If I make $2200 in commission from selling a number of cars, I only actually get an extra $200 on top of my base pay.
Pretty sure that's illegal, but if not, it's still totally fucked. Don't quit OP— fuck off and make them fire you. That way you can collect unemployment and buy yourself a bit more time to find another job.

unemployment is bullshit. I got fired from my last job and even though I qualified for unemployment, when I filled shit out I never got anything and was told that I then did not qualify

This must be a shit tier dealership OP. All the decent sales people at the dealership I work at make 100k+

I very much like this idea though

This.

Why bother trying to sell cars, just walk around the lot doing f-all while getting paid for it.

Try to get some sales and learn in the process
Use your sales figures to get a job at a normal dealership
If you fuck around and get fired, your back to square 1

LOl walk around and just browse biz on ypur phone all day till you get laid off. Dont get fired u cant claim ei but u can get severance pay. OR pretend to hurt urself.. fall and sue

OP i want to buy a luxury (expensive to service) car from a used-car dealership, should i?

what brand do you sell for? At mine the top salesman is selling about 15 cars a month and he said the most he made in a month is $5k

Yeah that's basically what I've been doing anyway. They just have a group of us stand outside all day and try to be the first to talk to a customer. I feel like a monkey and/or nigger

Two options:

1.) Quit... probably going to make it harder to find a job and you have no income now.. a little income is better than none (bum ass)

2.) Tough it out.. work at $8.50, earn as much commission as possible by trying.. LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE **SALES IS ONE OF THE BEST SKILLS TO HAVE***

Stop looking at it as such a negative you bitch.. you finally have a job now.. even if it sucks just try to learn something and look for another job while you get paid at this one...

I guess now that youve had your cherry popped the only thing left to do is decide how you want to leave. If you are going to steal keep it small. Bonus points if you can get your dick in the bosses daughter.

Dude I just started this and know nothing, but in general I would say no, unless the type of luxury car you're looking for can really only be found at a dealership.

If you can find it on craigslist or in an ad and buy directly from an owner that is always the better choice. At a dealership they have to markup the real price of the vehicle to make money. In other words a $6000 car will cost you at least $9500 at a dealership.

But then again if you want a luxury car it may be the better bet, especially if you're trying to get something high end like a used Rolls Royce, Bentely, or Land Rover. Otherwise I would suggest just craigslist and autotrader

They did this at Sears for the sales positions that aren't full commission. For full commission positions they have to pay you hourly no matter what but if you don't make enough commission to make up for it in a given pay period then the next pay period any extra commission you make goes towards paying back what they had to give you to cover your wage.

With base plus commission positions like the one OP has, if you make less commission than minimum wage is then you just get paid minimum wage and don't have to pay it back that given pay period, but if you make enough in commission to where you'd be making more than minimum wage, your end of week pay turns from minimum wage to your base pay (In the case of Sears, 4.50/hr) plus what you made in commission. Yes it seems like bullshit and some weeks it is, but if you sell enough then you can make better cash than other shit-tier retail jobs.

So, OP, I would do what this man says and stick with it enough to get some sales experience, especially if you have a boss that won't ride your ass for going on your phone when there's no one on the lot. You can use the income from the car sales job to fund stocks/crypto and during downtime at work check your portfolio and make adjustments if needed.

stick to it while getting a CS degree at a community college part time

transfer to state school after 2 years

that's about it

I had already been unemployed for months prior to this. I've gone on some interviews and may have a job offer by monday. Obviously I will quit if I am offered another job, but oh my god I can't explain how much I loved the NEET life this winter. If I could find a way to collect disability I would at this point. I fucking hate wagecucking

>Sell 15 fucking cars

>Make $5k

The owner of that dealership is laughing at his salesmen from his third home. Here, if you sell 10-15 cars, you're making 20-30k that month. Helps when the cars are actually manufactured a few miles away.

>On top of that, the commission is taken out of my base pay.

get out lol what nigger shithole is this?

I'm 26, I already have a college degree but it was liberal arts and I've been stuck in customer service and sales jobs since. I actually had a decent job as a Sales Development Rep for a software company for a little over a year. I got complacent because they weren't hiring internally and ended up slacking off and getting fired. Truly I did not realize how good I had it

Thanks for that, but i don't want to deal with private sellers in general and in this case in particular since most owners of luxury cars around here tend to be criminals (loan sharks, pimps etc)

I'm talking about a 15k eur car, a Mercedes, low-end luxury and the model i'm looking for is low-production (rare)...the only ones (private) i have seen are either too expensive or dangerous people.

at this point I don't give a fuck, just read the YELP reviews

yelp.com/biz/state-line-chrysler-dodge-ram-jeep-kansas-city

the owner told me he's only owned this place for 7 months, so I'm not sure if the older reviews are really applicable, but the whole thing honestly seems like a joke. The owner seems like an old cokehead and it's just hard to take him seriously. It's mostly niggers who buy cars, very few white people or even hispanics and asians. It really seems like the only people buying are poor people who don't know what they are doing

LMAOOO honestly i got nothing to say.. some people have different mind sets than others.. i cant deal with plebs like you.. fucking waste of life

holy shit you faggot I told you I am actively looking for jobs. Apparently you can't deal with people venting on anonymous internet forums. Sounds like you're the real bitch nigger.

Did you really link your place of employment to the most militarized mass of autism on the planet?

Wow.

Whelp, enjoy being unemployed, I guess.

just want to give you guys a feel for this place, it really does suck

I had a coworker from an old job who jumped over to a used car dealership.

Turned out to have a similiar pay structure of same base pay with commisions causing one to earn somewhere between the same to just a bit more.

Had a customer who worked at the same place until recently. Recently saw him and he said he was so much happier working at another dealership.

Long hours at them dealerships too I hear.

LOL. This is average for a dealership. Just hang in there and have a good time. Its gonna suck but its better than McDicks.

Work as a used car lot manager. It sucked ass and you dealt with cunts. Do something that makes YOU money not the dealer principle.

btw real sales people sell real estate

thanks user, I was just trying to find out if this is really what it's like at dealerships or if I landed at a particularly crappy one.

I do have an acquaintance who sells cars and he makes a decent living, so I was wondering if this was legit or not

I don't doubt that, the thing is I have absolutely no desire to be a salesperson. I'm guessing most other people don't either and that's why sales jobs have a high turnover. I understand sales is completely necessary for a functioning and healthy economy but it just sucks, especially when you went to college and spend lots of time doing research and studying things only to end up doing work that you could have easily done without a college degree

Sorry but going to school for liberal arts is your own fault. Learn to code or something thats valuable in the meantime.

fair enough, but I don't even know where to begin with the coding thing. That's what everyone says, but I'm almost 27 years old and I don't even know if my brain is fluid enough for that. I'd love to code but don't even know where to begin

Why don't you become a private investigator OP? It's fun and pays more than double what you're getting now

I like this idea a lot as I love investigating things and being a general sleuth. How do I become a private investigator?

Get the training, conceal carry license (optional), learn a martial art (optional), get a state license and start applying to agencies. Good luck

Take some official university course, not neccessary a degree but get a solid theorethical foundation in some sort of accreddited program. The learning curve for coding is steep and you should at the bare minimum have heard about the basics (which there are a lot).

It will take you at least 3 years to become somewhat functional as a coder and another 2 years to get some skill.

Uh, that's not how unemployment works. You have to be terminated with good standing to qualify, such as being laid off. If you deserve to be fired, when you apply for unemployment and then they contact your old employer and find out you were fired, you won't get shit.

>commission take from base pay

This is NOT a scam. Your base pay is called a “Draw”. You should never get your draw unless your retarded. You are a commissioned salesperson and you get commission only but by law you must make minimum wage.

15% is a good margin. New cars, no, you won’t make much. But newer trade ins, and used cars is where the money is. They rape people on trades and sell for almost full retail. You’ll buy cars for 4k that you sell for 10k which and 15% of 6k is $900. Learn you margins. Learn how much the dealership bought your individual inventory for, and steer people towards the ones that are not only practical for the customer but make you the most fuckin money.

Also, tiered bonus system. Ask your boss. You should be making 1500 weekly minimum.

Wow those reviews. They seem to universally hate that establishment. Seems immoral as fuck.

Sales is something that takes talent and skill. If you had those, the boss wouldn't be working you over.

Find a new job first if possible/necessary

Par for the course with anywhere that sells used