I just got one of these. What's a good dish to break it in with...

I just got one of these. What's a good dish to break it in with? I'm probably gonna spend a couple hours seasoning it of course but I'm not sure what to actually cook.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Skillet fry some fresh salmon fillets and eggs sunny side up.

Carbon steel right? Season with crisco. Don't fall for any of the meme oils, crisco is the king. Flax seed was never as nonstick as crisco was for me, and it's more expensive.

I'm seasoning it right now with soybean, though I generally cook with canola (which is what crisco is). I now remember why I never buy soybean normally, it smells awful.

>tfw you heated the pan up too quickly and it warped slightly
time to get out a bunch of heavy things i guess :^|

Make a paella

>seasoning stainless steel

Is this actually a thing?

Really?

That's a carbon steel pan, but yes. You can season stainless steel, assuming it doesn't have a nonstick coating.

Would any of you be interested in pictures of the pan now that it's seasoned a fair bit?

Yes please

My phone doesn't take amazing photos so apologies but here's the bottom.

>You can season stainless steel

And here's the top.

Yes, you can. Most people don't because they like the way the pan looks when bare, and because they use stainless to cook acidic foods (which will strip the seasoning).

For reference this is what it looked like with just a coat or two. I think right now I'm on coat 7 or 8. Even just seasoned once or twice it was sufficiently non-stick.

That looks pretty good. Congrats

Yeah, I was a little worried about the weird rainbow color, but I cooked some eggs on it earlier today and they stuck to the spatula but never the pan. I was quite pleased.

If only I didn't warp the damn thing. Oh well, I guess that's another project for another day.

What should I do with this one?

I never had much luck with those, and ended up donating them to Goodwill.

I got this one at a thrift store for a dollar :^

That werid rainbow color is exactly what you should expect

youtube.com/watch?v=UGXGJD2xTzQ

You got ripped off then.

make some crack

This is a troll

How did you know what it was made from?

OP, do you have a gas or electric stove?

youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

Not OP, but I ordered a carbon steel pan off of Amazon a couple days ago. It came with a few dents in the bottom. Pic related is one of them. They're not too big or deep but if I run my finger across them they're pretty sharp (not enough to break skin though).
I'm worried that if I put this on my induction range that it'll scratch the glass surface. Is this enough of a problem that I should return it, or is it not a big deal?

Here's a pic of the other end

What nice hands!

i wouldn't think it would scratch the glass. induction tops are usually pretty strong

Does that scratch even touch the glass surface? It looks like it's on the curved part and won't touch a thing.
If it's sharp you could just sand it down yourself.
Whether I'd send it back depends on the price. some 20-30$ pos? Keep.
50+$? Send back.

I bought it for $39. I considered sanding them down, I just wasn't sure if that would adversely affect the pan in some way. Now that I think about it, the pan is basically all one metal so it shouldn't hurt it.

Does Veeky Forums not like nonstick or something? Why? Works great for me.

Nonstick pans are just wasteful IMO since they wear out and need replacing, while carbon steel / cast iron will last basically forever.

OP, can your pan do this?

wrong

blast that mother fucker with the most intense heat imaginable for like 10 minutes, rinse all the shit out then rub with whatever oil

you'll never need to season it again unless you put something acidic in it

What the fuck is wrong with cast iron?

We have Lodge and All Clad here, no use for any type of meme shit. All clads go right into the dishwasher.

Nothing, but carbon steel has some real tangible benefits over cast iron. For one, it's lighter and heats faster. Plus since its much less brittle the handle is much longer and makes it easier to work with. Both serve very similar purposes and if carbon steel wasn't an option I'd use cast iron but since it exists I use carbon steel. Simple as that.

Electric. Kind of a pain for this stuff but whatever.

Even so I still made eggs and they didn't stick so jokes on that guy :o)

would you like some egg with your hot oil sir?

This, those are pretty nice hands m8. Post more.

Haven't tried yet, will give that a go sometime this week though.

>unless you put something acidic in it
then how do you deglaze?

You generally don't. If you're making something with an acidic component like vinegar or wine use stainless steel. A little bit of tomato probably won't kill your seasoning but lots of acid will strip it for sure.

I like it but come on, don't you have more than one pan?

It's not like you are licking the pan clean.

WHY WOULD ANYONE NEED TO BREAK IN A METAL PAN. WHAT A RETARDED THREAD.

I was just thinking I could cook something nice in it to begin with but I mean if you want to be an autist that's cool too

IM SORRY I MISUNDERSTOOD. PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY. I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR NEW PAN MY LIMMY LAMMY.

acid isn't necessary to deglaze but what

said

Is rice vinegar and soy sauce acidic?

Wtf is this amazing cooking material? I was guided to believe stainless steel was the good stuff from many sources, a lot here in ck.

A while ago I bought all of the pieces to make a set comprised on tri ply restuarant quality stainless steel.

Have I been fucked by misinformation? I can't afford to get a set of new cookwear.

>all that oil

that's disgusting and no shit it isn't gonna stick

>Why

They're coated in a substance that causes cancers.

Rice vinegar is less acidic than most western vinegars but lots of it will probably still strip the seasoning. Soy sauce is slightly acidic from what I can tell but the relatively small amount you'd use in cooking stir fry would be fine, I think. Carbon steel woks are the standard after all.

Basic setup should be all stainless steel, you were not rused.
Secondary should be either cast iron or carbon steel. The webm is carbon steel.

how full of shit is this guy? 11x's with flaxseed.
youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

I mean the more you season the better the non-stick coating will be, but I used canola and it worked fine. Flaxseed might result in a better surface but if you can't find it wherever you are, don't worry about it.

If that nonstick stuff is poison do they sell seasoned pans? It looks like you need a really high heat to do at home

You really don't. If you have an oven that can hit 500f you can do it yourself.

But yeah, lodge sells pre-seasoned cast iron and carbon steel. I've heard it's kinda thin and a little susceptible to warping.

I tried something similar - around 10x+ times with flaxseed.

Resulting surface was truly super slick and uniform, I was really impressed. Downside was that when I started cooking other stuff on it generally that the surface got ruined pretty easily. I think if all you did was cook eggs and pancakes it would be amazing and would pretty much last forever.

Part of the bias in my case is that I didn't do this with a raw pan - I had the pan for about a year previous and was trying to restore the seasoning, meaning part of the failure of the seasoning to stay might have been because it was on top of other seasoning.

Overall, it's a pretty good strategy but I can't say for certain that it is objectively better than other methods.

is cast iron actually worth it or just a huge meme

Personally I think carbon steel is the better meme.

You should own a 12" cast iron skillet. If anything you can roast a whole chicken in it. Which I do at least once a week.

i dont eat chicken, only fish and beef

So seasoning just makes it non stick and not rusty? Can I just add oil when I cook and work out things stuck to the pan instead?

>So seasoning just makes it non stick and not rusty?
yup, or you could just buy a non stick pan like a normal person

>b-but you have to buy another one once it gets fuck up
this only matters who poor fags who think buying a pan every year or 2 is some how expensive

>Carbon steel woks are the standard after all.
That makes a lot of sense. Then it must have been something else that caused my pan to be the way it is now.

Try completely stripping the seasoning and redoing it. A little soy sauce shouldn't do that to it. I could see some rice vinegar doing it though.

A couple hours?

Nigger just put a few table spoons of salt in it; vigorously press and wipe it all around
and fill it 2/3 up with oil and heat it on the stove for 10 minutes

if you do reseason and you have the money, definately do flax oil.

>I ordered a carbon steel pan off of Amazon a couple days ago. It came with a few dents in the bottom.

Send that shit back for replacement or refund.

If you don't want to send it back, use a file to knock down the sharp burr and then go over it with a piece of Scotch Brite or sandpaper to finished it off.

>I'm worried that if I put this on my induction range that it'll scratch the glass surface. Is this enough of a problem that I should return it, or is it not a big deal?

If you can feel the burr, it will scratch your stove top.

Steel > glass

>pay once to get quality shit that lasts forever
>or pay the same amount every 4 years for ever
>thats 1/2 the total of quality shit that lasts forever every two years for you retards
>by spending significantly more you get to ingest toxic shit with every meal
>but you never have to season a pan!!!

but remember, if you care to buy good tools to do your cooking in, you're a cucked numale faggot or something. I don't get people that whine about cast iron - just don't fucking use it. I don't give a shit what you use, I'm not the one eating your food. But don't act like there aren't very real reasons to use cast iron and carbon steel - among other things you can sear stuff at very very high temperatures in them which will cause the non-stick coating on your cheapo pans to turn to fumes.

Plus they don't warp nearly as easily. I was a dumbass and didn't heat mine properly and it still barely warped at all. I've yet to use a non-stick pan that doesn't warp horribly.

I moved recently. Apparently my cast iron thats been passed down generations wasn't properly dried or stored/packed so it was rusting and gross. Im in the process of re-seasoning it and my smoke alarms went off. It wasnt the cast iron though. It was the "non stick coating" and stuck on shit of the cookie tray that I used to catch any drippings. 340 deg and the cast iron will be like new. The cheap baking tray? Its proper fucked.

Funny thing is that despite how it looks nothing really sticks to it. I've thought about stripping the current seasoning and start from scratch again, there is a couple of things I wish I knew before seasoning for the very first time.
What would be the best way to get the pan seasoning free? I've read about throwing it in the oven on self-cleaning mode but my oven does not have that function.

If the seasoning works why mess with it? Other than aesthetic reasons of course. I've been told the best way to get seasoning off is oven cleaner or something similar, like barkeeper's friend. You could also probably use steel wool or a scouring pad.

340 deg C I assume? I forgot Veeky Forums isn't just americans.

>get some pure potassium nitrate.
>degrease that pan
>melt the potassium nitrate in container big enough to submerge the whole pan in.
>put the pan in and keep it at like 275 degrees F
>let it sit at that temperature until the pan is dark black/bluish.
>pull the pan out and let it cool. Then rinse all that potassium nitrate off.

Never looked at carbon steel, but I assume its similar to cast iron, burn it off or scrub it off. Throw it in the base of a campfire and leave it there until the whole thing burns out. Or scrub the hell out of it with adhesive or acids.

No, F actually thats what surprised me so much about the baking pan. Its shit.

340F is really low, even for nonstick. That's embarrassing.

Yeah the only reason I want to do it is because the pan is an eyesore. Oven cleaner seems like a good choice. Thank you.

to be fair, it was set on the bottom of the oven and not a lower rack...

I've already sent it back and ordered a replacement; it should be here by Wednesday. Thanks for the advice though!

Ok phew, so what's carbon steel good for? The way it was seasoned to perfection really got me interested.

Same stuff cast iron is good for. Searing - high heat in general really - along with dishes that need to start on the stovetop and then finish in the oven. They're also decent general purpose plans for anything that isn't overly acidic.

Alright then.