Why don't people appreciate hotdogs anymore? They should be just as popular as hamburgers or any other fast food junk

Why don't people appreciate hotdogs anymore? They should be just as popular as hamburgers or any other fast food junk.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-jhmkcOGAA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think their reputation is kind of their downfall. They got firmly established and entrenched as simple, cheap, lower class food (hot dog carts, ball games, etc.), and while yeah, obviously we all know about artisanal hot dog shit, they can't really escape the very reputation which made them popular in the first place.

I pulled that right out of my ass though, probably completely wrong.

Cheeseburgers have a way worse wrap ever since Super size me. People think hot dogs and they think baseball and beer. They should be more popular.

Leaving this thread desu.

They are literally the longest lasting food meme of all time. You got stereotypical dogs based on geographic location (Coney Dog, Chicago dog) that people of those places allegedly don't think anything else counts as a hot dog. When people visit these places they have to try them, but honestly thats really the only draw.

People in these cities don't regularly eat them, only when they are in the mood for a dog, which is never. The short answer is they were never popular outside the clique tourist attraction they are in some cities.

People in Denmark legitimately love and regularly consume they're style of hot dog though. Just not in the states.

cuz hot dog carts around here charge like $4-5 for one

For some reason Chicago's hot dog autism when it comes to ketchup infuriates me. I know it doesn't matter, but the fact that they get so unbelievably pretentious over cheap tube meat is ridiculous.

>cheeseburgers
>baseball

I'm gonna kill myself after I post this image again real quick.

True 2bh

I think because people have gotten so used to eating shitty "made with chicken/turkey/pork" mystery meat dogs that they forget what a good beef hot dog is like.
I grew up with my mom only buying the shitty turkey franks because they were "healthier" and when I discovered what an actual beef hot dog tasted like, I was amazed.

TL:DR - hot dogs get a bad rap because people are so used to shitty grades of meat

Did you even read my post?

Ignore him.
He's an easily triggered faggot.

cuz most people dont know how to make them. You're supposed to toast the bun. If you don't all you get is a mouth full of way too much cold doughy shitty white bread followed by sausage that's the same temperature as the sun burnt to a crisp.

Aussies do it best and just use a slice of bread. Less shit in the way of what you actually want, a fucking sausage.

Hot Dogs suck ass.

Go fuck yourself you fucking queer

>you get is a mouth full of way too much cold doughy shitty white bread followed by sausage that's the same temperature as the sun burnt to a crisp.

That is part of the charm

I grew up in Chicago and ate hot dogs all the time. Now I live in Miami and the hot dogs suck here so never eat them.

Actual sausages are marginally more expensive yet 100x better

youtube.com/watch?v=2-jhmkcOGAA

This scene always makes me want a hotdog

Hot dogs were really popular in the early part of the 20th Century. Before fast food in the form of burgers and fries was everywhere most towns had hot dog joints.Some of these are still in business: Pink's in LA, Papaya King in NYC, Nathan's in Coney Island and countless "Coney" joints in the Midwest.

What killed appreciation for the hot dog on a national scale was affluence. People were initially skeptical of burgers because they had a tough time believing ground beef was hygienic. Once they were convinced burger joints popped up everywhere. And this happened at a time when Americans had enough money in their pockets to eat at them. Think about it: if you had the money to go out for a more luxurious burger why bother with a hot dog? Compared to a burger it seems like poverty food. Educated people with a little money in their pockets like the idea of eating "healthy", and the hot dog was too brazenly packed with fat, salt and preservatives to qualify as such.

I love them, but only eat a few a year.

Denmark has the best hot dogs I've ever had. They're made out of pork and smoked.

A

FUCKING

>Think about it: if you had the money to go out for a more luxurious burger why bother with a hot dog? Compared to a burger it seems like poverty food

Top fucking kek Americans.

For many Americans during the Depression hot dogs were the only meat they could afford. They picked up some poverty food association from that time.

The true hotdog sausage if ground, stuffed and smoked at home is a real treat. They're kind of a pain though because you have to emulsify the meat and that adds some additional complexity to the process.

STOP TRYING TO FORCE THIS MEME YOU FUCKING NEWFAG NIGGER

I'm happy Latin Americans still love them.

>sausage is for poorfags
You people do realize that you can make your own sausages? Or buy legit sausages?

I live in chicago and eat hot dogs almost every week

This is true, though. Almost any time people are grilling they make both burgers and dogs. Every single time people snatch up all the burgers and the people late to the grill are stuck with hot dogs.

I'm not saying they're bad, but in comparison to a burger there's no competition.

>eat a well made hotdog
>it's shit
>eat a cheap dollar dog
>surprisingly good

So much this.

Actually, think this is probably right. If I could get an artisanal hotdog, where I knew what was in it, I would probably eat them.

In Montréal, they're still popular.
From dirt cheap steamed hot dogs to high priced designer dogs, they're still in.

Of course Japans hot dog has tentacles

Michigan knows what's up

LEAF

Problem?

Places like Wienerschnitzel are awful. The hot dogs are almost half as small and taste worse than the cheapest kind of hotdogs you can buy at supermarkets, and the price of it is ridiculous. Unless you're buying a dog that's higher quality meat with a good amount of quality toppings, you're better off just buying it from the store. It requires minimal effort to compared to something like cooking/assembling frozen hamburger patties.

Off the top of my head only Dairy Queen makes dogs and they're good

because they all taste the same

Because they're a sodium tube with poor nutritional value where burger is just ground meat.

I find it pretty boring. But every 2 month I might bite in.

>Why don't people appreciate hotdogs anymore?

they are garbage food literally made from garbage parts of various animals. they are seasoned to taste like shit, their texture is disgusting, and the typical toppings are either raw, overpowering aromatics with shit-tier condiments or cloying, sticky slime that tastes like HFC with a dab of vinegar.

>They should be just as popular as hamburgers or any other fast food junk.

No, they shouldn't. And to be clear, some hamburgers are fast-food junk, but an artisanal burger will BTFO of any frankfurter 100% of the time. Period.

Kill yourselves faggots. Hot dogs are great.

I buy them from street vendors occasionally when I don't have time to stop for anything else. They fill the niche of easily portable cooked meat well, they just are not as good as burgers when you have more time and can sit down.

>an artisanal burger will BTFO of any frankfurter 100% of the time. Period.
You've never been to Denmark where the hot dogs are on par with most of the better burgers you've had.

I eat hot dogs when ever i can its hot links that are going away and its pissing me off

It's not as filling as burgers.

>Danish remoulade
>pickles
>fried onions
That's all a hotdog needs. So good.

Yeah can confirm that Chicagoans do eat 'go dogs all the time. Go into a portfolios at lunch rush and it's practically all they're serving.

*Portillos
fucking autocorrect.

I always wondered why every Mexican restaurant around here has hotdog meat at,the top of their list of meat choices.

I miss getting hot dogs there so much

Salchichas are really popular all over Latin America. It isn't just the Mexicans. Columbians, Ecuadorians and Argentines do great things with them as well.

This picture is annoying as fuck and your posts arent funny. Back to facebook

I work at a hot dog shoppe, we have over 300 hot dogs on the menu. 200 are secret menu dogs.

Some include:
Manly meat
Hunny bunny
Drunken ginger
El Sarapē
Cleveland
Etc.

Been in business for 7 years, not going anywhere, averages $400+ each weekday lunch.

Sonic and Burger King, too

Sonic Chili Dogs are god-tier.

What are those leaves made of? Chips? Styrofoam?

fuck off Carolina, that's a West Virginian slaw dog.

man I could go for a chicago dog

Went to visit my friend at a different college, his roommate loved the Big Bite hot dogs from 7/11. Apparently at the beginning of the semester he was eating one every day, everyone told him how gross it was but he said they were delicious. Didn't make it a week without getting food poisoning and throwing up.

Because most people's idea of a hotdog is a disgusting processed thing that sits in a jar or wherever the fuck they manage to fit them for years on end before being heated to lukewarm and served in a stale bun.

hot dog condiments are fucking disgusting

I had no idea burger king had hot dogs, we don't have Sonic here also

>a fucking leaf

Regards

A

DEAD BURGER

That's clearly an eagle. I think you need to get your eyes checked, user.

Places stopped selling them, honestly.
I fucking love a good dog but nowhere here sells them with any quality.

thats because they use shit meat on their dogs. They buy those family packs with Mystery Meat™. If you a pack of prepared sausages you'll quickly realize hot dogs can be top tier, and this is without adding condiments.

I used to think hot-dogs were poor people food until I started buying more expensive sausages. Fucking game changer tbqhwy.

Because you can make a quality hamburger. Theres no such thing as a quality hotdog. Once you start making the hotdog quality and tasty it becomes a brat, sausage, etc.

This. There's no comparison between the cheap Oscar Meyer shit and a good beef hot dog. Here in Chicagoland we're kind of spoiled because of how many of the beef hot dog makers are based here, led of course by Vienna Beef (which supplies just about all the restaurants around here).

Portillo's is fucking god tier... I've got one less than a mile from my house. Slammed all the time, drive thru is constantly busy, yet they're so well organized with such a good crew you get through in no time at all. Hot dogs are great, the burgers are properly charbroiled, beef sandwiches are excellent.. and the company that owns them now is planning on expanding their store count 10-15% a year with long term plans being full national expansion, hopefully that doesn't ruin the quality :/

That's because there's literally nothing else to eat in Denmark, the whole country is just identical hot dog stands and Netto supermarkets every 200 yards.

Mexican street dogs with bacon and jalapeño are amazing late night food, even if they use shit sausages.

I'm going to eat so many hot dogs in March. Holy shit I never realized I would miss them as much as I do. I've never eaten them that often or anything.

As someone living in Chicago how does one create a decent chicago dog at home.

I assume 99% of it is the bread like when it comes to pretty much every sandwich from the east coast.

Post pictures of dogs

>japan

got a kek out of me

Eating hot dogs all the time makes them taste like ham.

They're a once a month kind of meat

I miss the hot dog shack in the army, they knew how to properly dress a Chicago dog.
3 more weeks until cheat day and can have one.
Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums must be immortal enemies

Surprisingly moreso than Veeky Forums V /an/.

too much salt

Eh, not really. The identity of a Chicago dog is mostly in the presence of all the veggies (onion, chopped, grilled or raw, tomato wedges, pickle spear, sport peppers), celery salt, neon green relish (a specific product of Vienna beef company), yellow mustard, and lack of ketchup. If any member of that ensemble is missing, it's not a Chicago dog . The bun should be poppy seed, but it's not the focus.

Because it is literally the lowest class food you can buy. Why would you even buy one? I can buy a case of 20 hot dogs for $6, 16 hot dog buns for

Never tried Sonic's hotdogs, but Burger King's hotdogs are literally Oscar Meyer's but grilled.

>Oscar Meyer's but grilled.

Those cheap shitty hot dogs are the best tasting hot dogs though

>Because it is literally the lowest class food you can buy.
Depends on where you are. In places that take their sausage making seriously the hot dogs are pretty good. I'm thinking Germany and Denmark, but there are some good quality hot dogs in the US. Marathon in NJ makes the hot dogs for both Katz's Deli and Papaya King, and both serve examples that are worlds away from Oscar Meyer tier garbage.

But the thing about hot dogs is that in the right hands even the shit tier ones can be delicious. Put chili and onion on an Oscar Meyer hot dog and it will still be garbage, but it will be delicious garbage. The amazingly delicious hot dog dishes they make in Latin America frequently use the cheapest sausages possible. Frequently not made from beef or pork - they're often ground up chicken. But dress them up the right way and they're awesome.

Yes, they're not a healthy food, nor a classy one. But if you're not eating them out of pure snobbery you're missing out.

I just make my own. But I smoke mine which from what I understand is generally not done in the US. Took a few tries to get it texture and flavor down but since then I cannot eat the mass produced stuff. Feels like I'm getting ripped off.

It doesn't help that they were created during the great depression.

The thing is I visited Chicago a few years ago, tried chicago dogs at a couple places my friend had looked up online as being good places to get them.

They were both hot garbage and I figured they were overrated like most of the non-deep dish food items I've had in Chicago

But got dragged to portillos the other day by a visiting family member willing to pay for everything, and it was legit delicious. So theres gotta be some non-obvious technique to making them good

Smoked pork hot dogs are tough to find in the US. I can only get them at German or Polish meat markets.Here the upmarket hot dogs are beef, usually flavored with garlic and paprika. I think they make some beef and pork examples in Chicago that are considered good as well, but I'll let someone from there confirm that. But most of the cheap ones in supermarkets here are made from assorted meats and don't even have casings. They're just extruded meat.

I've been trying to tell everyone who will listen about the need for more gourmet hot dogs for like the last year.

Luckily there are two awesome dog shops in my town. Hot dogs are such a perfect canvas they need to be more popular.

>Because it is literally the lowest class food you can buy. Why would you even buy one?
>Hot dogs are bad for you, it's the worst class of meat. It's literally garbage.

If you can't enjoy a dog fucking kill yourself.

>Hot dogs are such a perfect canvas they need to be more popular.

Exactly

Yeah that's the only way to go. Make your own. The emulsification process is a bit of a bitch, but it's worth it. It's head and shoulders above what is sold as a hotdog.

>the bottom one is just literally bathed in mustard

That's nacho cheese I think

So what was wrong with the bad ones you had and what was different about portillos? You need to be more articulate.