Mac and Cheese

Alright Veeky Forums, if I want to make the tastiest, creamy macaroni and cheese; how should I go about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UEUjx2cPyaY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

make a proper roux and use proper cheese in a proper ration at the proper heat.

Don't listen to this posh british faggot, just add a spoonful of sour cream to it

my easy way

- 16oz 3 cheddar blend shredded
- tall skinny carton of half and half
- butter
- 16oz medium shell pasta
- salt
- pepper
- kielbasa

cook the shells till al dente. in a glass baking dish, start layering. thin layer of shells, salt and pepper, sparsely sprinkle tiny cubes of butter, layer of cheese. push some slices of kielbasa vertically into the pasta. repeat. shells. salt. pepper. butter. cheese. kielbasa. repeat. shells. salt. pepper. butter. cheese. kielbasa. when you're out of layering materials, take the half and half and pour it in until it's level with the top of the layers. Bake covered for 30minutes at 400, then remove the cover and finish baking for 15 minutes to get some top crust going

Buy sodium citrate.

Make bechamel or get extra fancy with soubise, add shredded cheese, a little bit of white wine, and sodium citrate, stir while gently simmering until the cheese is melted, then mix with cooked pasta.

What do you think of adding cream cheese to it alongside the cheddar cheese?

What's Veeky Forums's obsession with this toddler-tier "dish"?

the thing about the shredded cheddar is that it nestles in really well onto the noodles, not sure if the cream cheese would do that. I'm sure you could tear off tiny chunks of cream cheese and distribute it onto the shells like you do with the butter, but this would probably create isolated pockets of melty cream cheese instead of evenly distributed cheese (like the cheddar), but that may be a plus depending on your preferences

>toddler-tier
it sounds like you're the only toddler here

Go stuff your face with some more "cheese", pleb.

True, but what if I made the cheese into a sauce instead of letting it nestle onto the pasta? I know you can do good with cheddar, but I've been experimenting with cream cheese, and I'm wondering if you or anyone here has done it before me?

make a roux/bechamel
add some good cheeses that you grated yourself

also make sure you salt your pasta when cooking it

give up and use velveeta, if you try to make a real cheese sauce you will either not have enough cheese and it will taste like nothing or you will have too much cheese and will no longer be a sauce

cream cheese definitely works, but the point of my simple mac and cheese recipe was to remove steps and just make it so you layer ingredients. you can totally melt the cream cheese and cheddar together and pour it onto each layer and it will be great, but again that's more complexity than my recipe intended.

whatever you end up doing, add bacon

>>>/reddit/

>He thinks certain food has an age restriction
Grow up. I get it if a grown man orders a happy meal but really? Mac n' Cheese is good for all ages.

Vinegar.

This is ACTUALLY pretty accurate but it's more than a spoonful depending on the serving.

It's a definite trick I use. I couldn't really give a recipe because I just do it from seeing my mother do it. I also bake it with the raw cheese after mixing cooking the pasta to a certain degree than mixing it.

If you've ever watched "The F Word" there are people who have dropped an anvil on Ramsay's head with their family recipes against his chef recipes.

Comfort food is not there to shove your pretentious dick in it.

1/3 butter, 1/3 cream cheese, wisk together in sauce pan. 1/3 milk after its creamy. shred a couple cups of cheddar and coat in corn starch, slowly add to sauce and wisk. Creamy, cheesy as shit macaroni and cheese.

Obviously cook and drain your elbow mac.

gruyere in there, mix some wholegrain mustard in there, parmesan/breadcrumb crust.

I like to make a bechamel, stir in grated old cheddar and parmesan until melted under a simmer. Pour onto mini conchiglie and stir. Top with toasted breadcrumbs and bake.

bump

more like Mac n' Please!!

Top quality cheese makes the dish. Good smoked bacon an fresh herbs don't hurt either!

Mac and Cheese

It's a nice British comfort food.

Add some British mustard into the mix, for a bit of bite.

It's children food like chicken strips/nuggets, etc. Fine to enjoy once in a while as an adult but if it's one of your diet "staples" then you might want to grow up and also get a gym membership.

Is this guy's method alright?

youtu.be/UEUjx2cPyaY

Seems like he added way too much cheese.

Start with a bechamel sauce. You can fold pretty much any kind of cheese you like into it. You really can't fuck it up. Then you can add any other additional ingredients and or make some kind of crust or topping, if you desire.

the cheese to pasta ratio should be 2:1. make a roux as well with mustard and hot sauce. bake it with panko bread crumbs on top. dont be a bitch about how much butter and cream are in it. use a mixture of cheeses, I like cheddar and fontina

Where do I buy bechamel sauce? I've never seen it in the grocery.

You make it, it's super easy

>the cheese to pasta ratio should be 2:1
So 200g cheese per serving? Jesus Christ.

Use emmental, in humongous quantities. Best creamy/melty ratio.

it's good but it ain't good for you

It's not called bechamel sauce in the supermarket, it's called Dolmio™ Creamy Lasagna Sauce.

what is your obsession with "muh gronup fud"? i bet you eat fucking caviar al blanco with fetachino rigatoodle and a side of strained cow testicles to show you're Mature you pretentious piece of shit.

fuck off.

macaroni is good for all ages, except whatever age you are you piece of crusty cunt litter

sometimes i feel like having something cheesy too but i kinda grew tired of mac and cheese so i started trying out new things... i searched around and i find out real winner. it's called aunt myrna's party cheese salad. recipe goes like this:
ingredients:
2 small or 1 large Lemon or lime jello
med size can crush pineapple
8 oz cream cheese
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 small jar of pimento
1/2 cup chopped celery
8 oz Cool Whip or Whipped Cream
1/2 cup nuts - Chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded american cheese

Directions:
Dissolve Jello in Pinapple in sauce pan (low heat)
Add chopped up Cream cheese stir until melted.
Add bell pepper, celery & pimento with nuts. mix.
Add cool whip
mix all ingredients and pour in 9x12 glass casserole dish
sprinkle with cheese
Refrigerate. for 4 hours

Nope, I've tried caviar, personally, some are better than others but it is very salty and I won't go out of my way to buy it. Anyway, I don't understand your hostility. There is a reason why children's menu's in most restaurants contain things like chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese, plain cheese or pepperoni pizza, etc. They are ideal for children who have not developed more mature taste buds and have not enjoyed more adult food. I like macaroni and cheese and chicken strips but not on a regular basis. You need to develop a more mature palate and also work on your attitude as you seem unable to handle someone calling your staple diet foods childish.

such foods are common on children's menus because they're uncomplicated. few surprises to deter the child from eating it. as mentioned before, it's an excellent comfort food, and as this thread shows there's no shortage of ways to make it differently. just because children will eat it doesn't mean it's "for kids". every non-fast-food establishment i've been in here in the uk has had macaroni available on the adult menu, from locally-owned cafes to hotels to chain pubs, and nobody I've noticed looks down on people for ordering "kiddie food" when you ask for it. there's absolutely nothing wrong with uncomplicated food. it doesn't mean the eater has some kind of mental sickness, it doesn't mean they think they're fucking 10 years old, it just means they think macaroni is the fucking bomb.

honestly, next you'll tell me bread is for children because of pb&j.

Boil the noodles in a good dark beer. Helps the flavor immensely. Also add a sizeable chunk of Limburger into your roux.

Nope mac and cheese is a kids food. On the adult menu it might have things like gruyere or mushrooms in it which is good. Plain mac and cheese is for children. Just because you don't have the palate of a child doesn't mean you need overly complicated dishes. What is do complicated about a medium rare steak, potatoes and some green vegetables? Maybe try a fucking carrot or a bite of broccoli you fucking manchild.

The Discourse (tm)

evaporated milk

"Plain" doesn't mean it isn't for adult tastebuds. A blend of cheeses is just as likely to turn off children as the use of white cheeses instead of yellow. Hell, if it doesn't look like Easy Mac you're gonna have a bad day.
There's ways to make "adult" mac while still having a mostly basic pasta and cheese construction.

//courtesy Beecher's Handmade or someshit
serves 4 as a side dish

SAUCE
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
7 ounces (SOME PROPRIETARY CHEESE, JUST CRUMBLE SOME SHIT OFF THE BLOCK), grated (about 1 3/4 cups)
1 ounce Jack cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
½ teaspoon coarse salt
¼ to ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

PASTA
6 ounces penne pasta (about 3 ¼ cups)
1 ounce (1/4 cup) (SOME PROPRIETARY CHEESE), grated
1 ounce (1/4 cup) Jack cheese, grated
¼ to ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder Instructions

To prepare sauce, melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter or oil an 8-inch baking dish. Cook penne 2 minutes less than package directions. (It will finish cooking in the oven.) Rinse pasta in cold water and drain well.

Combine pasta and sauce in a medium bowl; mix carefully but thoroughly. Scrape the pasta into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with cheeses and then the chili powder.

Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I guess a picture would help.

Shit macaroni
>Make a roux and....
Good Macaroni
>Bake at...

Is there any good way to make a good bechamel WITHOUT flour, or possibly using a non-gluten flour? I have a friend with Celiac's, and I was hoping to either make him a mac and cheese or a chicken pot pie for Thanksgiving, both of which he hasn't had in a while.

Not worth it. Gluten-free pasta alone makes this a horrible idea.

NO FLOUR IN MAC & CHEESE!!!

Nigger, this isn't for a cheese sauce that needs to hold.

>coat in corn starch
That's pushing it, but I like your style.

You only live once.
Heavy cream.
Add one part sharp and two part melty cheese.
Heat until you have a cheese sauce.
Quickly stir in an egg yolk (optional).
Toss with cooked pasta.
Plate and top with bread crumbs and reggiano -broil until crisp on top (optional).

A blend of cheese I like is sharp cheddar, monteray jack, and young fontina.

Holy shit, bechamel is the absolute worst thing to add to mac & cheese. Completely turns a heart attack into an intestinal + heart attack. So pastey too. Reduced cream + cheese FTW. I mean, unless you don't know how to make a reduced cream sauce, then by all means fortify it with whatever thickeners you need to to avoid breaking. Hollandaise broke!? Add roux. FFS...

Unfortunately, he REALLY can't eat gluten. He's ultra-sensitive to it. Like, we're worried if he gets a cut and he's around flour kind of gluten intolerance.

I'm pretty sure a tapioca flour based pie crust would turn out pretty well though, so I'll go with the pot pie. Maybe turkey.

See and try shirataki noodles. Ain't the same thing, but it's better than nothing.
Read the directions on the pack of noodles (if they're fresh) that explicitly tells you to rinse the noodles, and then heat them in hot water, and then drain before using. Upon opening the pack (of fresh noodles) you will find a mildly disgusting scent. That's why you rinse and simmer them.
I've had good luck with low gluten pot pie using low gluten flour substitute, but it still contains a bit of flour.
However, I have made some nice bisquits using almond meal, egg, baking soda, etc. If I were you I'd look into that.