French toast?

What are those called in you country?
Toast, flip'd in eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon. On pan with lots of butter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9dvPDYhuAoI
youtube.com/watch?v=YYTIsQQoanM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

French Toast = Waffles > Pancakes

this is a fact

Eggy pancakes > all

In the United states we call it French Toast

Freedom Bread

In germany that's called 'armarita' or 'arme ritter' ( which means poor knight translated) or 'Fotzelschnitten' or 'Semmelschnitten' etc.

>milk sugar and cinnamon
eggs on their own are just fine

>Fotzelschnitten
Kek. Never heard that one. Bavarian, right?

Damn, every damn saying in my country is translated from German apparently, in Denmark it's arme riddere, basically the same thing.
No hard feelings though, thanks for the cheap food and booze, WE LOVE YOU GUYS

We love you too. Northern germany is blessed with its neighbors Denmark and Netherlands.

Gypsy bread.

In Lelgium we have two names: one is 'Verloren Brood' which translates as 'Lost Bread', the other is 'Wentelteefjes' which roughly translates as 'Turning Bitches'

Armeridder
Literally means a weaponized knight.

toast alla francese (italy)
literally translates to "toast in the french way"
>sugar and cinnamon
never done this to be honest

if you haven't already spread some honey over them right before serving
but don't put sugar together with eggs and milk unless you like really really really sweet
or your honey isn't really sweet

I've only heard it get called French toast here in Cuckanada.

"Poor knights" directly translated. Egg and breads is kinda for the poor people I guess.

But I eat them like a gluttonous king.

Eggs, pressed garlic, oregano, aromat.
Fry both sides, remove from pan, place cheese>ham>feferoni>bread back on the pan.

It's amazing.

Same in Swedish- fattiga riddare (poor knights).
There's also the version rika riddare (rich knights), which uses sweetened bread (like leftover rolls or pastry) as a base.

youtu.be/9dvPDYhuAoI

In the Netherlands we call them wentelteefjes

This translates to ''flipping bitches''

In Quebeckistan we call it "pain doré" which translates to "golden bread".

Interesting, its köyhä ritari here in finland that translate to poor knights.
I wonder how many countrys have copied germany or if its even the origin.

Britbong here, I've mainly heard it referred to as eggy bread

Dude that's not what "arme" means

>Britbong here, I've mainly heard it referred to as eggy bread
This

In Britain it's just called 'eggy bread'.

Heaven

I should really make them more often

That's because you speak like children

The name is boring. It just translates as "fried battered bread."
However, there is also an apple version where cored, peeled apple rings are dipped in a similar mixture (plus a little flour to make it a true batter rather than just an egg wash) and fried.

Both the bread and apple ones are generally shallow fried rather than pan fried and each can be made with cardamom instead of (or in addition to) cinnamon. Both can be served either with honey syrup on top or dusted with powdered sugar. I made and took pictures of the process and posted it here before. Veeky Forums seemed to like it at the time.

Op here. Yeah. I remember this time, I had a craving for something sugary and I got nothing in the house. Then I remembered le French Toastie. I did as in OP and even put some jam on when they were done. YumyuM

>there is also an apple version where cored, peeled apple rings are dipped in a similar mixture (plus a little flour to make it a true batter rather than just an egg wash) and fried.

In Britain we call them apple fritters and served with custard, they are great.

In most Spanish-speaking countries, it is called either
Tostada Francesa (French Toast)
or
Pan Tostado Francès (French Toasted Bread)
I've also heard it called
Pan Tostado para el Desayuno (French Bread for the Breakfast)

In Spain, we also have torrija, a sort of deep fried french toast eaten for holy week.

In French it's called "pain perdu", which means "lost bread". I heard it was originally made with stale bread, so it actually wouldn't be lost.

You best be joking.

I usually make it with stale bread rolls that I get for a couple of cents at my local grocery store which is entirely run by adorably friendly old women.

Making it with stale challah bread is where it's at

youtube.com/watch?v=YYTIsQQoanM

We do apple fritters, too, but they're a different thing. It's a yeast-risen doughnut with shredded or chopped apple mixed into the dough rather than a batter-fried slice of apple. The battered apple is eaten with a fork and knife on a plate while fritters are eaten like doughnuts (IE you pick the fucker up with a napkin and chomp down on that bitch). The fritters are also sometimes stuffed with concentrated apple besides just the shredded apples. It's basically mashed apples that are cooked for so long that they caramelise and become a thick, spreadable goop.
Both the frittered and battered ones are delicious, but they're two different things to me.

Here in France we just call it toast.

WOW.
I grew up with Apple fritters, Pineapple fritters, mushy pea fitters and spam fritters but like you said, they are mainly a battered item and fried.

Infact in many chippies in Britain a battered and fried potato slice is simply called a fritter. (usually using 5+ cm potato slices).

or brioche... pic related Jean-Georges Brioche French Toast

no we don't

it's called pain perdu (or lost bread)

used to be called fried bread but because of Americanization people mostly say french toast this days.

In Portugal it's called "Rabanadas", this name we give them has no link to the frenchies

Do people in France really eat this every day?

No, they eat pussy. Smoke Gauloises, drink little coffee shots.