How did French cooking become so overrated? Does the Michelin guide perpetuate the idea that gourmet = French?

How did French cooking become so overrated? Does the Michelin guide perpetuate the idea that gourmet = French?

Actually, Japanese cuisine is the one that's most overrated by the Michelin guide and in general as well imo.

By becoming the model on which fine dining is based in much of the world. How did this happen? The haute cuisine was established from the top down as a set of refinements on regional dishes deemed suitable for a very wealthy royal court, and later wealthy bourgeois. The cuisine of any royal court of a wealthy nation will be pretty luxurious.

Couple that with being a cosmopolitan place that within its borders has Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts, parts of what used to be Germany, Basque traditions, Alpine regions and fucking vineyards planted by the Romans. That's a good start even without centuries of sustained wealth and a codified haute cuisine.

y u hatin' l'américain?
Why every single top chef are coming to my country to learn how to cook?
Just fucking ask yourself instead of dissing a cooking you probably don't even know well

I like to imagine it was a couple of peasants who tricked nobility into believing that snails are a delicacy.

This is true.

Asian cuisine explores different flavors, and also has a much larger variety of textures to it, but this is not why it gets rated so highly. All and all, Asian culture tends to have a focus on tight professionalism, accuracy, being percise and consistent, and being the best is a very common idealism in their culture. Combine that with the rigors of modern culinary and you can see why they tend to qualify for Michelin stars more.

French culinary could be considered over rated, but in all reality they are the culture that took food that far, earlier. They developed cuisine and culinary before many, and played a huge role developing the methodology behind it.

Because it was Julia Child and the fact she happened to learn to cook in France and push French cooking to all the other housewives who were getting bored of eating post war surplus canned goods

It's raw fish and rice m8.

Hardly worth getting out of bed for.

>Does the Michelin guide perpetuate the idea that gourmet = French?
I can confirm for you that indeed the word gourmet is French.

The French surrendered like pussies in WW2, so they never suffered rationing.

>t. faggot who's never been to war.

Maybe not exactly, but there was a generation of French (dying off now) who developed a dislike for turnips because the occupying Germans ate all the potatoes and left them the turnips. To turn French people against a vegetable that's pretty standard fare in the region things had to be pretty fucking bad.

except japanese food is the only asian cuisine michelin seems to cream their pants over. in reality most japanese cuisine, especially traditional japanese cuisine is stolen chinese cuisine with an island twist.

inb4 weeb army defends glorious nippon

This is also true, and I'm gook.
Our culture is simply improvement on what the chinese started.

This is far out, I know. Could there be an interest for magazines, crappy tv shows, famous tv chefs selling books, rich people being duped, for the M stars?

Because we have a culinary culture, gastronomy, you don't.

>r8 my sammich
>muh french toast

Veeky Forums is the cringiest board to me.

Tell that to my ancestors you ameritard.

... and yet, here you are again.

italian cooking best cooking

yeah the nazis fed the nations they occupied well. are you retarded? they took all the food, what the french went through was much worse than rationing

i've always thought it was closer to korean.
though korean is also based on chinese.

It didn't. The French are the best at making food. Even their fucking military MRE's are good in contrast to the shit they give the US Army.

>grandparents had their home in Normandy taken by the Nazi's to use as an office
>they were nice, kept it clean and mowed the lawn
>mfw

For some reason this made me laugh really hard.

i did nazi that coming, mario

French had to live through the occupation with ration tickets. It actually extended to several years after the war ended.

Germans took all the good stuff and left the rubbish to the French. I mean, in Paris, people were growing vegetables in parks and some ate rat meat, it wasn't great.

Btw, if you look into local cuisines, you'll see a lot of them use undesirable foods such as pig feet, innards and the infamous snails. It's back from a time (previous to WW2, mind you) where people had little, but it surely helped during the occupation.

>French culinary could be considered over rated, but in all reality they are the culture that took food that far, earlier.
Basically this. Food is a very big - if not the most important - component of French culture. If a French travels abroad, one of his most important experience will be the food.
While there is fast food and processed foods in supermarkets, you still find a lot of local markets, delicatessen shops and specialized foodstuffs shops everywhere, with remarkable diversity.

We also started early, so expectations of good food rose continuously to the level it is now.

The only thing I blame French cuisine for is the lack of spices. There is a whole world to discover there but people rarely dab beyond powder curry, very mild chili and the usual nutmeg/cumin/ginger/etc...

>mfw when german and grandma told me about
soup the ate during war which contained grass from and bark
>mfw when great grandma died becuz of hunger

Except I'm not sure it is. In fact it seems to me that there's a huge shift away from French cooking these days. French food ("haute cuisine" at least) is considered outdated. That's the sense I get, at least. I ain't no professional. I'm guessing it's still a major pillar of modern cuisine, but taking more of a backseat to Third World and back-country (or perceived back-country) explorations.

Japanese cuisine is great, though sometimes odd, but to rate it higher than Chinese is fucking insane. The thing is, it's not just weebs doing it.

The similarities are great, but in my experience Koreans tend to be less afraid of spices, strong flavors, and more firmly-textured foods, while the Japanese tend to prefer soft, fatty, and very delicately spiced foods. It's not a very hard distinction, but it's there. It's hard to imagine most Japanese caring much for some of the spicier dishes that Koreans eat regularly.

>French food ("haute cuisine" at least) is considered outdated
Your feeling is right. French cuisine hasn't been a trend setter nor truly found a way to reinvent itself since the 70s (with the "nouvelle cuisine" - sic - wave) besides the importation of foreign influences like Thai or Indian (basically like everyone else). We rehash the same things with the occasionnal trend passing by (molecular...).
Like other parts of French culture, French cuisine is stuck in the past and very sluggishly moves forward.

>Japanese cuisine is great, though sometimes odd, but to rate it higher than Chinese is fucking insane.
Food in PRC is fucked due to communism where a large part of food culture was lost. But if Canto food in HK, Chinese food in Singapore and in Taiwan are absolutely God-Tier and hold very well faced to Japanese food, really. It's not the same autistic precision and investment as Japs do, but there truly is soul in what they do.

>soup the ate during war which contained grass from and bark
See what happens when you take the potatoes off the Germans, it's the end of everything.
Sorry for your great grandma though, Genossen.

Yes, and this is because compared to other asian foods, Japanese fine food has a higher focus on presentation and texture than actual taste or volume. Most Japanese food is pretty bland to be brutally honest but if you can make it look nice on a plate and put a high pricetag on it then you win the prize. A lot of asian food in other countries tends to be either spicy, greasy and either a broth, fried or just diluted with buttloads of rice.