Jobs for a 29-year-old NEET

I’m practically a NEET in my late 20’s with no work history. I’ve been self-employed this last year doing something that hasn’t imparted me with any relevant experience or skills in most contexts (basically just super entry-level software development), so while I have a modest amount of money in the bank, I’m practically a blank slate. I have a little bit of time, maybe a year, to sort of just do whatever I want.

I have a strong work ethic when I want to and I’m physically fit enough to handle at least basic manual labor. Can any of you trade guys recommend what I should look into in order to start a real career? I’m really worried that I’m stuck in this hole I’ve dug for myself.

Before anyone asks, I’ve been writing Ethereum contracts designed to make me ETH in various ways. It’s super simple and profitable, but that also means I basically can’t get a real job as a real programmer right now because I just don’t have the skills yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

mynextmove.org/vets/profile/ext/licenses/49-2098.00?s=MI
meata.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:related-technical-instruction-required-for-electrical-a-fire-alarm-specialty-technician-apprentices&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Invest in some Kneepads my dude.

You can work cleaning bathrooms at your old highschool.

That’s my best plan at the moment

You're pretty much fucked. You're going to have to do some bottom of the barrel wagecucking if you have zero skills or education after the last ten years. You'd be better off figuring out how to make money from home, honestly.

Gotta get started somewhere. I’m already making money from home, but that’s clearly temporary.

Fire Alarm Technician.

Thank me later.

Are there a certain I should get?

Actually look into being a salesman, for life insurance or whatever. Look into door to door salesman opportunities, they will train you too.

any certifications*

You can usually get in without experience or education, and learn on the job. It's very easy user, especially if you just do testing and not installing. Just have strong morals, you check to make sure the fire protection devices in a building/apartment/factor etc. are up to date. Funnily enough I made a thread about it earlier.
Just make sure you report everything properly, it could make the difference between life and death.

It's a cool job, you feel sorta important, people think you're a firefighter, and you get to see diff types of buildings etc. which is good and bad sometimes (some places are disgusting shitholes, but depends where you live).

If you have further questions feel free to ask man, I like helping people.

Can you give me an idea about the pay and how to get started? It sounds like an interesting enough proposition. Would they really hire someone in my position? If so, on what basis? I’ll definitely look into it at the very least.

just try to think of the next project that can make you money from home and do that - poof! you are now a respectable business man

Also, the other trades you're around rougher people, and if you don't have much labour/construction/hands-on experience you might not like it, it'll be hard work, the people can be dicks, and you might get hurt/hurt others.

Coinbase customer service rep

For me I got in because a friend of mine knew the owner. I live in Canada, but I was getting $20/hour with no prior experience or certification.

The other stuff depends on where you live user, so where is that?

It doesn't hurt to lie on your resume, or over-inflate the experience you have working for yourself. If you're serious and willing to be a good employee then whatever, I don't view it as a morally bad thing and I have decently strong morals.

My buddy is making a killing in Vegas se.lling Solar panels door to door

Right, I was thinking I’d just inflate my resume to some extent and try to get a job as a junior software developer somewhere, but I’d really have to lie through my teeth as I’m truly under qualified. From what most people tell me, though, that’s the name of the game.

I’m in Michigan, USA.

$20’s pretty great for having no experience!

Any idea what he’s making? Door to door sales seem pretty horrifying to me, but I’m not above it at this point

I need a consistent salary to start a family and such, and I don’t want to be 40 with a blank resume

Michigan, I imagine you'd be going into some pretty shitty places, unless you're in Richigan.

I'm not sure the requirements, check out some of these apprenticeships/other opportunities:

mynextmove.org/vets/profile/ext/licenses/49-2098.00?s=MI

meata.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:related-technical-instruction-required-for-electrical-a-fire-alarm-specialty-technician-apprentices&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

Even though this trade isn't overly technical or much "hard-work" compared to other trades (unless you get to high levels), when you go to an interview, be confident, act like a man, and try not to be too doughy...work out a bit, look people in the eye, fire handshake, all that shit. You will be working with men, so be a man.

Thanks for the tips and resources, I definitely need to work on my masculine presentation in some ways, having spent most of my time in really cushy encironments, lol. I’ve got the handshake down at least.

I’m willing to relocate in the end so I guess my area might not be as much of a limiting factor as it would be otherwise.

lie your fucking ass off on resumes,

I’m starting to understand just how important this is. I’ve spent part of my life thinking things should be done in a straight laced manner and it just hit me like a ton of bricks recently just how much everyone else is bullshitting and how badly I’ve shot myself in the foot by trying to be needlessly honest in situations like that (resume etc)

No problem, you sound like a good dude. Do you have any other questions about careers or life in general?

it sounds to me like you are already a business man, if you can think a bit outside the box and get things done then you pretty much on your way, think every other business man you know, who is paying their salary? no one, they pay other people's salaries, but they are the only ones who make the real money, either making it or have potential to make it.

Like I said above, the short version is that I’m doing some ultra simplistic coding, I’m just doing it in a niche manner which is bringing in some cash at the moment.

I appreciate the recommendations. I guess one lingering question I have is just related to the nature of the job. I’m not seeing a ton of info about it, so I’m the past I might have dismissed this as a valid option simply because it seems so open ended. Where’s best to look for that first position, and why would they hire a guy with nothing to show for himself? Do I, in practice, just need to get in touch with someone in person and present well?

I’ve got no interview experience, that’s definitely something I need to work out as well. Perhaps I’ll just do a bunch of practice interviews

Cant you just do more of what you're doing, make a ton of money, put a lot in crypto and hope you make enough to retire before the well runs dry.

That’s an option, but what I’m doing is drying up and is pretty mentally/emotionally taxing in some cases—not that the last part matters much I guess. But it’s certainly not gonna last forever.

And yeah I’m hoping crypto takes me to the promised land but I have zero expectations at this point. My portfolio is worth about $140k today and I’ve cashed out almost none of it, I’m just a regular NEET in real life. I don’t even have a car, kek

Yes, I'm sure completing relevant certification courses help as well, even if in part. Obviously you need to gather more knowledge of the trade as well, look at relevant Youtube videos etc. You have installer positions which is akin to electricians/electrical work but niche specialized, and testers/inspectors, which is less pay but way more easy and cozy, and much more likely to get an entry-level position in. You're a NEET right, so spend a day and research the fuck out of everything you can, know the codes, know the certification processes and restrictions, problems that can happen on the job, laws, etc. Start looking at places that may want first year apprentices, which is where you get paid to work and get an education, which is win win win. Apply to Union halls if you have them in your area for that specific trade. Online certification courses, even completing 1-step etc. shows an interest and that you're dedicated.

In an interview just be confident and answer questions honestly. Try to be serious, not too serious and not too laughy/trying to crack jokes etc. You are an investment for them, they want to invest in someone, why should it be you? Think of your biggest weakness - they will ask about them, namely your work experience. Come up with rebuttals, imagine like a detective is trying to pin a crime on you, and yeah you did it, but you need to get out of it.

Break it down into the basics. You need a job. They need an employee. Why the fuck should they hire you, and not the other guy? You are an investment just like the ETH you have in your wallet. Why the fuck did you buy it? Most places want hard-workers, trustworthy dudes, and dudes looking to stick around, and are competent. Show them these, and after a few practice interviews or fails you might be alright.

i'm also a programmer, never finished high school, no degree, i usually have np finding a job, you should have something to show when you're looking for a job but that's simple - just write your own apps that you think would be cool and add them up to a portfolio, you seriously don't need a degree, you have all the best education you can get on the web, just make a few apps that you think would be cool and i believe you will be all set (this is also an intense learning experience that you would probably never get doing a degree), but like said before, the one making the money is the guy who hired you

Thanks for the tips. Lookin around for listings I’m seeing a ton of overlap between installers of various things, both security and fire systems, etc. would I be looking for a position with a small company that specializes or something similar? I guess what I’m getting at is that for example someone suggested nursing to me before—you pretty much just get your associates in nursing (eventually bachelors if you want to move up) and then go get a nursing position, very straightforward, whereas with this I’m seeing a few different certifications which are kind of ambiguous and not much in the way of clear cut job listings (just one-offs) and such

I think part of my problem is that while I have thought outside the box in some of my own ventures I don’t know how to do that with regular day jobs (I’ve never had anything that wasn’t a shitty service job which I got just by virtue of being a warm body)

That’s actually something I had in mind, I’m just afraid that I’m too old and have few legit explanations for my lack of experience. I can lie to some extent but a 10-year blank resume? Lol

But yeah I think I can essentially learn and acquire the necessary skill set, I can already whip up basic iOS apps in Swift for example, and “blockchain development” can be made to sound fairly impressive even if it’s only for an internship or a low tier dev position.

Ultimately I’m just sort of scared and directionless and I don’t have any friends to nepotism me into that first position, so the road from here on out is really uncertain and demoralizing

I'll give you a run-down of my day-to-day when I was doing it. We go to the shop, and a partner and I go pack whatever equipment we might need into our work van for that particular day. Basically you would get these work order forms where service was required (inspections, fixes etc.). We pack up the van with the necessary gear, which could range from new fire extinguishers, to fire extinguisher mounts, emergency lighting lightbulbs, hoses, and other things like that, none of which is overly heavy if you're somewhat fit.

Lots of places just required us to test the actual systems, as most buildings require annual fire-alarm inspections to make sure their stuff works. So we go in, and using a variety of equipment we test the stuff. So in every building they have a fire alarm panel, which is essentially an electrical panel where if a device is broken or goes off etc. it would register on the panel. We turn off the alarms and go through the buildings making sure they trigger an alarm, and if they do not we note that. Basically we had a sheet noting where all of the fire alarm equipment was in a building, and we would find the stuff and test it, which actually is sort of rewarding to do, ticking the boxes and trying to find shit, sometimes it was hidden or in weird rooms, you get to see a lot of places most people normally don't.

So anyway, one way to test smoke alarms is to spray fake smoke at them that triggers an alarm, for heat detectors we'd put heat on them etc. Fire sprinklers also need to be tested, but usually they have separate people to do this and they are their own trade in general, it's harder work, especially install.

So we'd test this shit, note the problems, and move on. We'd replace the tags on the fire extinguishers, rip the old ones off, make sure they were full and so on, check the emergency lights to make sure their batteries weren't dead (easy as flicking a switch).

Interesting, thanks. Are those things you were mostly trained on the job to do?

Any chance we can get in touch somehow so I can bounce some questions off of you or just maybe network a bit? I’d appreciate it. No big deal either way

Installing is harder work, more pay, more room for error, more requirements, generally I wouldn't want to do it. I'd do inspecting if I were you man.

There's certification steps with this too, which allow you to do more if you choose. It's just more niche than a mainstream nursing job, and education is much less rigorous/expensive etc.

Anyway, back to my "day-to-day", we would go back to these places and give them new extinguishers, replace bulbs and shit, and batteries in the lighting units. Anything that required electrical work, any type of hard manual labour etc. we didn't do, it went to guys more qualified.

Yes I was trained to do them on the job, but user it's fucking simple and I'm shit at working with my hands. All you needed is one of those 8 different head multi-screwdivers basically, and a tiny screwdriver for the electrical panel. Replacing fire extinguishers is literally moving them from one place to another, the lights you just bring a tiny ladder and stand on it and turn a screwdriver, plug in the battery like super simple, same with bulbs, tags you literally rip a tag off an extinguisher and tie one on.

It's a no-brainer job (at the entry-level etc.), but rewarding, satisfying, pays well, you get paid to break up your day and drive to places which I like, you see new buildings and places most people don't, you're away from your boss and usually just with one other dude or a group, but you can get your alone time when you're testing etc.

Sounds like it'd be a good option for a NEET, that's why I made a thread about it today for you guys.

I see what you’re saying about it being simple—definitely sounds easy. I think one problem with me being a NEET and only having shitty service jobs is that I’ve never really had to do anything independently, I’ve only ever had someone breathing down my neck and telling me what to do, so in that situation you’re talking about I could conceivably not know what to do in some circumstance and from there I guess the autism would take over. Definitely something I need to work on

But as far as working with my hands goes I’m not too bad, I know my way around a screwdriver and a socket wrench, I’ve done a fair amount of wrenching on my own cars and such

Since you're already doing ETH contracts, maybe you should look more into learning programming and start working on more complicated ETH contracts. You can get hired as a dapps developer.

You won't really have any responsibility at the start, your partner will test everything and show you what to do. You will probably sit at a panel and hear a beep and press a button, use a radio and say you got the alarm to your partner. You have radios so you can always ask, if you don't know just ask or get them to tell you.

Honestly think it's a good job based on how little I know of you

I suppose I need to branch out a bit with my development in general, other than my horrible resume and social skills I think I have what it takes to do the job (with enough education/studying anyway)

I’ll definitey look into it. My only lingering concern related to what I was talking about above—info is all over the place. Being a NEET I can put in a bit of time and find more, I just wish it was a simple industry standard cert -> obvious positions situation, but again that goes back to what I was saying about needing things to be straightforward. I definitely overthink things

Thanks again for all the info btw. I wonder how many jobs of this type are out there that I’ve never considered purely because the title and availability of info are somewhat obscure to me

It's not a well-known job at all man. It does have many different branches, but yeah you can research it for sure. Don't pass on it because the info was hard to find anyway.

It's really cozy man, which might be good for you, at least for a stepping stone.

Just try to help someone else out in the future however you can, be a good person you'll be fine.

May I ask what kind of smart contracts you were writing?

Apply and do interviews for programming jobs.
I've seen some companies accept graduates of other unrelated courses (even arts majors) if they were capable programmers.

They'll usually do "programming tests/puzzles" anyway during the interview phase, like having you implement FizzBuzz or the like. This is because there exists Computer Science graduates that have managed to do that despite not being able to program their way out of a paper bag.

Also, if you have a portfolio of past projects that you can throw in your CV, even better.
If his is the trade you are currently skilled in, best to make the most out of it. If pajeets can get into burgerland to be hired as code monkeys, you can too.

Thanks
No degree is one of my bigger failings I think, but if that can be overcome then perhaps you’re right

Yeah, actual coding experience matters more (as the good ones actually test you during the interview). And a portfolio.

You can describe the ETH dapps you've made in there, if those are legal and not one of the Veeky Forums pyramid schemes.

I'd also advise on working on projects you can add to your portfolio in the meantime (e.g. if you are working freelance in web development, you can include screenshots of that, or if you are interested, make some mobile apps so you can include actual released apps in your portfolio).

Basically if you have the skills, and a portfolio to show off that you can apply it, you're good to go.

>Yeah, actual coding experience matters more (as the good ones actually test you during the interview). And a portfolio.
I've heard that quite a lot.
>You can describe the ETH dapps you've made in there, if those are legal and not one of the Veeky Forums pyramid schemes.
It depends on how you look at it, some of them are pyramid-esque. Example: I wrote some code for a popular Ethereum card game that essentially keeps a pool of funds and pays future purchasers out of that pool, so say you buy a Pikachu card and then someone else does, the you get paid a commission of .01 ETH or something like that. I think of it as a blockchain-based commission system and it involved a fair amount of planning and is a good example of my coding ability, if a bit simple. Should I mention that in an interview? Yeah it sounds like a pyramid scheme but ultimately it's the only way to do a referral system on-chain with no centralized authority

>I'd also advise on working on projects you can add to your portfolio in the meantime (e.g. if you are working freelance in web development, you can include screenshots of that, or if you are interested, make some mobile apps so you can include actual released apps in your portfolio).
I was looking into getting into mobile dev, so I guess I'll probably just make some apps and try that way.

What do you think about my huge work gap, though? And my age?

>like having you implement FizzBuzz or the like
I've heard this a lot as well, although it's tough for me to imagine that this is a real interview question. It's really a day-1 programming thing

this is unironically the best neet-job suggestion i've ever seen on Veeky Forums

how much do you make doing this user?

> Should I mention that in an interview?
Sure, it shows you can design commission system and even implemented it in real-life (which is probably more complicated and practical logic than most college graduate programmers have probably ever implemented).

> It's really a day-1 programming thing

One of the test problems a company I was in had was to have the applicants implement a flood-fill (just write down the pseudocode on paper) given a grid of pixels. Something just complicated enough that most people will implement it very roughly and usually even incorrectly.

>strong work ethic
>no work history

ok dude

There are people that would kill to be in your place. People in their late 30s still don't have their shit together and work at dead end retail jobs wishing they had the courage to kill themselves everyday. There are literally dozens of career paths you could take to turn your life around right now.

You are 29. You still have time, but don't fuck around anymore, get going right now, DO SOMETHING. You can still be happy and proud of yourself.

If you really are ready to work hard, go to a 10-12 week coding bootcamp. You'll land a job right after making 70k+ a year.

Point is, if you really want to get out of your position, you would not be posting on Veeky Forums and you would be doing something right now.

A person's quality of life is all determined by how much they want to accomplish their goals.

There are worse possibilities than the situation you are in user, even if you don't believe it.

Hey I'm guy from before, VPN switched so not sure if I'll have same ID. Depends where you live obviously, I made $20/hour Canadian, top end is maybe $35-40 but for that you're doing install and electrical work, not just inspecting.

I unironically think it's a great NEET job too, some of the guys who worked there fit the description too.