Gyros are delicious

gyros are delicious.
how the fuck am i supposed to make a gyro at home though?
anybody have any recipes?
also, if im a white man in the tampa area, do you think i could make a living with a gyro truck?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/greek-american-lamb-gyros-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's in them?

>white man
Stopped reading there. Die you fucking pig

beef and lamb, normally roasted on a vertical spit.
seasoned delicious, much good.
sliced thinly and put on pita bread.
the hamburger of the middle east.

fuck you, whites are superior.

Bro I live in Tampa. Abandon this dream asap. Greek food just doesn't do that well here. Acropolis is honestly top tier around here and there is only two of them in the entire county.Just buy a gyro from them and hit up the fucking top tier strip clubs around here. Honestly, most of them are thinly veiled whore houses with really hot bitches in them. Tampa is one of the best cities in the world for the sex trade.

The answer is: don't.

Just like Chinese-American takeout. Sure, you could buy a wok and everything, but why? For $7 you can eat like a king.

Some foods are just plainly not meant to make at home and gyros are one of them.

>beef

Not pork?

Any spices?

>tfw only places near me that serve gyros just toss a bunch of meat in and squirt a bit of tzatziki on top and call it good
>nothing else
>not even onion

If you actually want to sell these, I'd recommend doing everything yourself.
The Pita, the sauce and of course fresh veggies.
The difference between selfmade pita and bought is huge (it's also cheaper), especially if it's freshly made.
A good homemade tzatziki is much cheaper than good bought ones and tastier.
Veggies are self explanatory, I think.
If you do this, your chances to have financial success aren't that low I'd say, I don't know the tampa area though.
However it will be a huge amount of work

What recipes are you looking for? For Pita, or for Tzatziki, how to cut veggies, or for seasoning?

nigga, gyros is PORK, no exceptions.
also whatever kind of a bastard child ops picture is, its not a gyros unless its pork,onion,lettuce,tomatoes with garlicsauce and maybe frenchfries in there if you feel extra-greek

putting cheese on it

is that cheese?

>the hamburger of the middle east.
They're Greek you fucking retard.

And greece is the shitskins of europe

Nice damage control,mretard.

I mean it's traditionally a lamb/beef mixture.

I resemble that remark.

Don't you have an economy to ruin?

No that's Donner. Which for some reason Americans think is the same thing

No, traditional gyros is made from pork - but of course lamb, beef or chicken gyros is also popular nowadays.

Both means 'turn', originally even the greeks used the turkish word but coined a new one because the turks are the eternal enemy.
So in this case it's not only cultural ignorance.

I could post a dozen pics saying Greeks are white, but I'm bored, so do this instead:

>Go to /int/
>Make a thread saying Greeks aren't white
>Ikibey will immediately show up proving you wrong

He has a German flag. He'll say that he's Greek. You will recognise him.

No, you fucking faggot.

Gyros are traditionally lamb, and a typical traditional gyro is:
meat, tomato, lettuce, onion, tzatziki (yogurt and cucumber), and maybe feta and/or olives if you're going deluxe.

I forgot to say that while lamb is traditional, it's almost always beef in the US because it's cheaper here and lamb is not very popular.

>this post

you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, are you?

Whatever you say, buddy.

I spent my teenage years working a gyro stand started by a couple of greek guys.

Fun fact: putting french fries in them is a thing that's popular in greece now, but it's also a thing they BROUGHT BACK from guess where?

Hint: it's a gay island where they put "chips" in everything.

This, exactly. You simply won't replicate it correctly at home without going full-scale, professional equipment and loads of experience.
Find a Greek place you like and pay them to do it for you. Fortunately for me, its quite easy to find. (Chicago). Even when staffed mostly by Mexicans, a single Greek supervisor/owner is usually all it takes to produce an acceptable gyros plate, Greek chicken/potatoes, Greek salad, and a side of baklava.
Tampa is large enough that I'd be absolutely stunned if some loudmouthed, rude, hairy & sweaty Greek hasn't already opened up a shop. You just haven't found it yet. Keep looking, and stop trying to be something you're not.

Fire Island?

I wouldn't say you need a lot of experience or that it's particularly hard. You can order gyro/doner/kebab cones online for reasonably cheap. Restaurant supply chains sell specialized knives for it (which you don't even really need but they make it super easy) for reasonably cheap.

The one thing that really makes it impractical for home cooking is the roaster thing for it (I forget what it's called) is really a necessary item and is going to run you a few hundred dollars and can't really be used for much else.

the vertical rotisserie infrared roaster thing, with the huge layered chunk of spiced meats. And to properly roast, it needs to be shaved off fairly consistently over a period of time, meaning large volumes are being served.
Almost nobody has this capability, I would think a large gas grill with an infrared burner and rotisserie would come closest to replicating it.

You can hold the meat for several hours in a covered warmer without doing much harm to it. You can also shave off the top cooked layer and then cover and re-freeze the cone.

We did both of these things at the Gyro place I worked at and honestly, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fresh cone and a re-used cone from the day before.

It also doesn't need to be infrared. They just do that now because it saves energy/gas costs. The ones we used were propane roasters. Cooking it vertically is important to taste and texture of the meat though.

You could probably hack together a serviceable rotisserie out of a cheap propane BBQ, but who wants to deal with 30 lb cones of frozen meat and a huge specialized piece of equipment unless you're going to be eating the shit all day erry day?

That looks more like a philly cheese steak on pita bread than a gyro. But yes, gyros are delicious.

>lettuce
They only put that shit in chicken gyro here
t. greekpoor

You went from craving a gyro and wanting a recipe to considering opening a business built around them in one post.

There's a gyro place near me that charges nearly 10 bucks a pop. Why the fuck are small business owners so fucking stupid? If he charged a reasonable price like 6 bucks I would easy there on a weekly basis at least but his price is so fucked I boycott him

You did read most of the post then. Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of posters here are white men.

kinda depends on how big it is and what's in it.

My favorite place is $7, but it's pretty big and I usually get double meat and feta which makes it $10.

One I like is $10 a piece but they're the size of a goddamned catchers mitt and packed with meat and good, fresh toppings.
Fuck now it's time to go to sleep and I want to put on pants and go out for a gyro.

To the guys above arguing about gyro and lambs.

You will literally NOT find a gyro (Greeks call it souvlaki and/or simply pita) joint that serves them with lamb.

You can eat it with pork or chicken, minced meat ala burger patty sometimes or rarely kotobacon (chicken wrapped in, well, bacon). The vegetarian option is usualy offered with a grilled cheese called halloumi.

If you really like lamb gyro, you must unfortunately visit a kebab shop for that.

t. Greek who lives in Mykonos, the most popular tourist destination in Greece. If there was such a thing as a lamb gyro, they'd sell it here.

I didn't say they weren't white
I said they're the shitskins of europe
You don't need to have shit skin to be a shitskin

While difficult to make the real deal at home, I've found that this recipe actually comes pretty fucking close. Kenji's recipes/methods are top tier most of the time.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/greek-american-lamb-gyros-recipe.html

I walked in to a gyro place a couple months ago. Asked what was in a "jye-row" because I've never had one before. Dude and gf look at me like I was fucking retarded. Apparently it's pronounced like "Euro". Like anyone's supposed to fucking know that.

Is there a solid difference between kebab, gyro and shawarma, or is it just the same meal with different names depending on the region?

Oh. And the guy didn't even fucking answer. He just said "gyro meat". What a pompous fucking faggot.

It's pronounced gee-row.
Though jye-row just sounds cooler to me. Like a gyroscope.

Not really.

making pita is definitely not cheaper when you figure everything in to it besides the cost of ingredients plus he said gyro truck. He would have to have a separate location to make and cook the pita.

Its far cheaper, easier, and better to get set something up with a local bakery.

>A good homemade tzatziki is much cheaper than good bought ones

When is the last time you looked at product sheets from suppliers?

>What recipes are you looking for? For Pita, or for Tzatziki, how to cut veggies, or for seasoning?

I'd wager it did originally come from the middle east and a lot of countries have something very similar; kabob, shawarma, etc

Tarpon Springs is like 40-50 mins from Tampa and is a full Greek community, if yall want authentic great Greek food

Gyros are great

Shawarma is better though

Different meats, different sauces and to some extend different veggies and bread.

also the spices used for the meat are different

Gyro places and doener places use the same meat from the same suppliers. The only real difference is the sauce and amount of veggies

It's pork. They add pork because of them not being Turks.

Doner is lamb, gyros is pork.

You know why this is the case?

Because they're both essentially the same dish from the same part of the world, but one is Turkish, so Muslim, and one is Greek, so Christian. This shit is tied up in centuries of occupation and resistance.