American palate

Why is everything in the US of A so sickeningly sweet? I've traveled a lot, and only in the US is literally everything from bread to meat so sweet that I wouldn't even eat it under normal circumstances.
Someone I know had been begging me to come try their BBQ for months, and once I could, it was so sweet I felt like I was eating meat-flavored candy. Disgusting.
What is going on in the US?

>American palate

no such thing

Most of us eat garbage. they have to add sugar so it doesn't taste like chemicals.

It's another yuuros being jelly of freedomclaps thread.

Cook your own fucking food and don't add sugar. Problem solved. It's more of a regional thing anyway, like fatass southerners with their sweet tea.

A fucking steak, how do you think they made it sweet, jackass? You're imagining it. No one is sitting in the back injecting raw meat with corn syrup for shits and giggles.

>No one is sitting in the back injecting raw meat with corn syrup for shits and giggles.
Well I'd assume noone does it for shits and giggles, so obviously this is something that tastes good to them.
This is solely an American thing, I just want to understand why they do this

>sitting in the back injecting raw meat with corn syrup for shits and giggles

Haha i laughed picturing this thx booboo

You're an imbecile. To be sure there's too much corn sugar in the average amerilards diet, but it's not true for many of us. Stop being a tribal jackass, and open your eyes, idiot.

American bread is sweeter than the sugar buns we have over here.
I'm not even joking. I wouldn't care if it was a "bit" sweeter, but American stuff is like from another world.

o b s e s s e d

Not really, just asking a question and being confronted by a bunch Americans being defensive about their diabetes-inducing food.

>itt: i picked the cheapest white bread in a supermarket and was surprised it was sweet!!!

Sorry to break it to you, even the artisan breads were sweet as fuck. I can only assume they are made to cater to the American palate, which makes sense.

I'm from US and I'll put my homemade bread up against anyone, or any country. And it doesn't contain any sugar. Do you want the recipe? Stop being a tribal Neanderthal and grow up.

I mean really, do the Americans here even realize that the food you eat is sweet as hell?
Food is not meant to be that sweet, I totally understand America's crippling obesity problem if you think that this is the norm.

>Do you want the recipe?
Sure, that ought to be enlightening for both of us.

I track my nutrition and read nutrition labels. Do you realize we have a massive market that caters to different tastes? You realize you only had the tiniest sliver of a sampling of that market?

I never understand people who say "Do Americans really X" as if America wasn't a huge as fuck country with shit tons of people in it all completely different from each other. I lived my whole life in the South and I basically drink candy water and call it sweet tea but when I visit my aunt in Texas I swear everything is spicy. There is no such thing as one single "American Pallet" in the same way there's no single British accent.

My question was: Why is American food this damn sweet?

I don't give 2 shits whether or not you agree with American food or what you do to circumvent all the sweetness.
The fact is; most of American food is unnaturally sweet
The question is: Why is it so?

If I had to guess I'd say corn.

>Why
Because people like sugar and it sells. Sugar is a cheap way to add flavor to food.

Doesn't McD's actually formulate their food to be sweeter in Europe? Also the rest of the world can't handle the lack of sweetness in American Oreos. This is a dumb thread.

American food is only overwhelmingly sweet if you eat primarily packaged foods, which not all Americans do.

O b s e s s e d

D E F E S I V E

F A I L U R E T O S P E L L

N O T A N A R G U M E N T

>The fact is; most of American food is unnaturally sweet
>The question is: Why is it so?

Because we had a health fad a few decades back where it was decided that fat was bad for you and should be eaten in as limited quantities as possible. For producers of prepackaged food, this meant that their food suddenly started tasting like shit once they removed a significant portion of the fat. To compensate, they added a lot of sugar instead.

We realized later on that fat isn't actually as terrible as we thought, but by this time multiple generations of Americans had been raised on sickeningly sweet processed foods and companies continue to this day to cater to them.

Yep, this. But there are currently more alternatives as people realize that sugar is more malignant than fat.

Most of it comes from soda desu. The amount of sugar in a can of coke is just crazy. Not to mention that sugar is addictive. This country really needs an intervention on sugar on a national scale. OP is not wrong.

I'm not that guy and I want the recipe just on principle. Please share, that I may hone my baking arts.

>no more than 150 kcal per day

that's like a large piece of fruit, i'm not american and i definitely consume more than this

There's the fact that many parents start their kids on sodas at a very young age. Those are loaded with sugar and acclimate the kids to a sweet flavor. They drink it at meals, for Christ's sake. This carries over to adulthood, where they're still drinking it at meals.

This leads to corporate (the american god) awareness that sweet sells and mass produced processed food has HFCS to ensure that particular flavor profile is maintained, otherwise sales would suffer.

Your error is that there's a large number of americans that don't buy in. I'm one of many. So keep your tribal shit to yourself, you elitist fuck, and look at the majority of your own countrymen.

nevermind, added sugar, i'm a retard

Added sugar, not sugar. Dietitians generally consider fruit fine because it doesn't spike insulin as much due to fiber, and it provides satiety.

True

I know people who drink like half a gallon of coke every day. Meanwhile I make decisions whether I want to eat a burger or drink a can of coke.

People just don't understand exactly how damaging all the sugar they take in, is. Then they get used to that sweetness, and require more.
It's a devils cycle that has been going on for quite a while.

Why do all Americans shit all over themselves while screaming?

I was on holiday to an American asylum and I saw a man sit upside down on his shoulders with his legs in the air defecating liquid feces all over his own face while sobbing violently. What is going on in the U.S.? Why is it so hard to find a mosque?

I think stuff like sweetened drinks are fine to consume occasionally if you can distinguish them for what they are: a dessert, an indulgence.

This. It's fuckin disgusting. My boss has 3-4 cans of coke a day, then proceeds to use each empty can as a spit can.

It sucks because there's a ton of older folks from that day where ad companies in America could lie about pretty much everything and they grew up hearing that the shit wasn't bad for you. They drink it like it's water and do the same for their kids at a young age.

This. It's processed food that id the problem. If you cone to America and eat our processed food than yes, it will be insanely sweet. But what are Americans actually cooking? When I cook it tends to be insanely spicy

Crusty bread

4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp active dry yeast
1 3/4 cups warm water

Mix first 3 ingredients. Add water. Mix until comes together. Let rest 15 minutes. Knead 8 minutes. Let rise in bowl until doubled (1-1.5 hours). Punch down. Shape by rolling into tight log. Spread semolina or corn meal on bread board and place loaf on it covered for 50 minutes. Immediately preheat oven with pizza stone to 425F. After 50 minutes put 4 slashes across loaf with sharp knife and slide onto stone. Cook 40 minutes. Remove and place on rack for 30 minutes. Slice and enjoy.

A simple beginner loaf that's damn good. I've moved on to sourdough, but I still make this bread ocasionally.

This desu. Some chocolate a couple of times a week won't hurt you, nor will a glass of coke. The problem is people having chocolate cereal for breakfast every day, or drinking pop instead of water.

In response to the triggered Americans ITT, i believe OP was asking why American processed foods are sickeningly sweet compared to other places, and why the majority of the population enjoy sugar and syrup being added indiscriminately to savoury food. The question didn't pose an unfair generalisation about your eating habits, obviously plenty of you care about the food you eat. But I don't understand why savoury junk food tastes rich and salty everywhere in the world but America, where it tastes like dessert. Some of you guys have syrup on bacon. It's just bizarre.

It's been explained quite clearly in this thread, idiot, if you'd care to read. Now go back and pat yourself on the back while you ignore the fact that your own countrymen are following the same pattern if you live in a first world country.

>your own countrymen are following the same pattern if you live in a first world country.
Not the guy you were talking to, but been to plenty of 1st world countries and literally noone is following the same pattern, so just out of curiosity I have to ask; what are you talking about?

Sales for american fast food chains are growing in eurooops, whereas they are stagnating in the US. In fact, it's what's keeping many of them afloat.

Stay up on your pedestal as long as you can, you'll be in the same amerilard shitcan soon enough.

Their recipes are different internationally.

Americans only eat sugary foods, they can't even eat pizza without covering it in sweetened tomato sauce and pineapple. Americans can't even enjoy the simplicity of chicken tenders because they don't have enough sugar.

This.
I'm not defending fast food, all of it is bad for you.
But the recipes they use in Europe are much more healthier than the ones in the US. Also, the price range is far different. In US it's cheaper to eat fast food crap, in Europe it's cheaper to eat healthy. The sale numbers for fast food could be equal in both continents, but America would still be fucking up their health at a much higher rate.

It's just not comparable at all.

>chicken tendies
Pretty sure that is also an American invention.

I've always wondered why Brits are so fat despite having one of the most bland cuisines on the planet. Same can be said about Australians.I understand why Mexicans are fat their food is fucking delicious.

As for American cuisine there is no such thing as many different regions have their own cuisine. Gumbo isn't sweet. Chili isn't sweet. fried chicken isn't sweet(unless chicken and waffles) shrimp and grits not sweet. Lobster roll not sweet. Philly cheese steak not sweet. Salmon cake not sweet.I could go on and on.

Sounds like you're a Euro who visited the states a few times and now you think you're an expert on all things American.

Oh, I'm a eurofag and american fast food corporations are going to give me healthy food. I live in Wunderlandisch with Alice, hurr durr. Grow up, idiot.

Or maybe he wasn't trying to sum up all the possible cuisines that show up in America, but indeed, the most prevalent ones that the every-day American deal with.

Are you seriously trying to defend our food products? Don't you seriously understand what he was getting at?

>I'm not defending fast food, all of it is bad for you
>fast food corporations are going to give me healthy food
Which part didn't you get?
At what point did the words go over your head and you decided to just spew out retarded shit?

If it's an American invention then why do Americans hate them so much?

> can't even eat pizza without covering it in sweetened tomato sauce and pineapple.
pretty sure that pizza's require the sauce, pineapple is just a topping so yeah. its more the extra cheeselover stuff and extra whateverelse you can think of that make them fat.
also, i'm not american

Because the "American" market is more than what you read about in 4chins.
I literally had to google what chicken tendies are. They simply don't exist over here.

>why is american ___ so ____
>why do americans ____________
>do americans really ____________

>It's another yuuros being jelly of freedomclaps thread.
Fellow American here. Shut up. Our food has gotten noticeably sweeter over time, which you'd know if you weren't a child.

Pizza requires the sauce, but American pizza sauce is very sweet. That combined with the pineapple, which is a topping only Americans like, only further reinforces that Americans only enjoy overly sweet foods. Cheese is healthy, many countries eat lots of cheese every day.
Here in Canada, we happily eat chicken tenders. You get the flavor and crunchy coating of fried chicken with leaner, more proteinful meat.

I noticed this when I was in the USA. It's impossible to avoid. The bread is sweet, all of the sauces are sweet, any pre-made drink is sweet, coffee comes with "creamer" which is sweet, even if you want a fucking salad it'll be drenched in some syrupy dressing.

It was way too much for me, made me really thirsty.

Are you seriously using that phrase as an argument?