Chili thread

Buckle up faggots, we're making chili

We're using a pound of ground beef and a pound of stew beef. here I've pounded the stew beef.

Can you just stop. Just fucking stop.

GROUND BEEF
IN

i'm here to support you OP

lets do this op!

keep going faggot

Do your thing, OP.

Let's see what you got...

One each red and yellow onion, diced...

meanwhile, I've diced the stew beef and browned it.

keeping an eye on this bread op

Thank you for the support anons

Now I'm cooking the onions in veggie oil and beef grease

nice, I can almost smell it.

this looks fucked up tho.

And into the crockpot they go

Three poblanos, three jalapenos, fire roasted in my fireplace.

>Pink meat

you realize it's not done cooking yet right?

Sounds good up to now

It looks like you didn't get any Maillard reaction there.

>not thoroughly browning it first
Missing out on quite a bit of potential flavor famalam.

Brown off your meat nigger

This!
Abit of browning brings in a depth and a nice flavour, but i suppose if you are going to cook it low and slow that the depth will be there anyway.

And on a better note, happy to see some OC. I made pumpkin soup for the first time last weekend and wanted to post it but didnt because i thought it would end up lost or forgotten.

>malliard reaction

OP is averse to flavor, don't judge.

All aforementioned peppers, plus two fire roasted bells, skinned and seeded. Next this all gets pureed.

I don't want overdone meat. It's going to cook on low in a crock pot for about five hours.

You're right, I didn't use high enough heat. I fucked up guys. I'll use the cast iron next time and sear it better.

But it's still going to be dank. Peppers pureed

Wow someone accepted critisism on Veeky Forums.

>mad at beans

Fire roasted.....................no char on them??????????????

Already skinned.

>adding beans to chili

All the peppers pureed and shat into the bowl.

Now we're adding all this bullshit. I always see people adding liquid and draining the beans. I prefer to not drain the beans.

>Black pride beans

Made me chuckle after i saw it

>pale, unbrowned meat
>bean water
>jarred, preminced garlic
This chili is shit and you should feel bad.

>mfw people don't put corn in their chili

I sometimes do and sometimes dont, my gf however allways hates it when i leave them out. Not sure why, in my eyes its just a way to make it more filling.

It adds little pops of sweetness.

I dont notice to much of a difference, but i see your point. I do like it when i bite onto a piece a d there is that corn flavour as a cut to the spice.

>hating bean water
bean water is flavor country
>unbrowned meat
some of it did get decently browned, but like I said, I didn't use high enough heat, I'll do better next time
>jarred garlic argument
I use fresh garlic sometimes but honestly the difference is so marginal I'm not into it. I do hand slice it though which is a bitch, maybe I should get a garlic press?
>he doesn't know I made corn salsa yesterday

Alright, everything's in. Now we cook on low for a few hours. We'll add spices about an hour before serving. Cooking spices all day dulls the flavor.

Is everyone else seeing this or am I just a pervert

>image_title.jpg

i shat brix.

I have probably seen better but its a nornal chilli in my eyes.
Im happier to see a oc thread with a normal chilli than fast food threads all day long. You have inspired me to post a thread next time i cook something a little special. Probably next weekend as im to busy with christmas decoration tomorrow.

i lost.

>busy with christmas decoration tomorrow.
>christmas decoration tomorrow
>tomorrow

nigger it is november

and yeah, I like to post OC here because I know I'll get brutal honesty that will help me improve

useful advice so far from this thread:

-sear meat at higher heat (I used a teflon pan here so I didn't go high enough, next time I'll use my Lodge pan and sear it better)
-use fresh garlic (I probably will just to see if there's a noticeable difference)

>as im to busy with christmas decoration tomorrow.

Oops, forgot a couple things
-3 stalks of celery diced
-2 tbsp soy saus

I'm sure the celery will set off a few of you but I rike.

celery is A++ would crunch again

listen here, nigger

1. you need more spice - bell peppers do not belong in chili

2. 1 can of chipotles in adobo is not enough - you need to be adding some ground red chili (not "chili powder")

You are making taco soup, not chili

>SOY SAUCE

never made a chili with celery or soy sauce. does it make a huge difference?

it has 3 jalapenos, 3 poblanos, and a full of chipotles in there senpai. it's plenty spicy already and I haven't even added muh spice yet.

I don't like making weaponized tailgate chili. I'm not here to impress my drinking buddies, I'm here for dinner

I usually use worcestershire but apparently I'm out. Will probably add a tablespoon of Pickapeppa as well

celery just adds bulk, I usually use worcestershire but soy sauce is good too, worth your while

Adding more chilis is about adding more flavor, not about making it spicier, dipshit. The fact is that your chili is trash, you're trash, and you should delete this shitty thread.

what chiles should I be adding? should I be buying those whole dried chiles and grinding them up?

>halloween just finished. What's the next ridiculous reason manufactured by retailers for me to spend a bunch of money and waste time putting up a bunch of petroleum based shiny things? Muh, somebody put me out of my misery.

what spices are you adding?

These

It's getting:
1tbsp cacao
1 tbsp chili p yo
1 tbsp ancho
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

There's two bay leaves in there also but honestly I don't know why I use them.

This is about two hours in.

>preground black pepper
You may as well use sawdust, at least that would thicken it.

Noted
Are those peppercorns-in-a-grinder things any good? Is that what I want?

nice! I like to add a little bit of thyme and cinnamon, imo they're a huge upgraded to a chili recipe

not him, but I use dried guajillo, ancho and pasilla to my chili. none of them are very spicy (usually) they just add tons of flavor. I also add lots roasted fresh chilies like hatch and other numex varieties, which are also pretty mild

but if you like the way yours comes out don't let anyone fuck you up, I grow lots of my own peppers and it might be a pain in the ass for some people to get the stuff

They're good, but if you use pepper frequently it's more cost effective in the long term to get a refillable grinder.

how much cinnamon do you add? I really like the depth cacao adds, cinnamon sounds interesting. I used to add brown sugar but determined I'm not a fan

I am adding ancho, haven't ever tried anything else you're talking about though. I've seen hatch peppers before at the ethnic market here, they have a pretty wide selection of fresh peppers. I'll get some next time I'm there

do peppercorns go stale or anything else I should worry about? I'm all for getting one of those italian restaurant style pepper mills.

They do go stale, but at a much slower rate than ground pepper. As soon as you grind any spice it's a ticking time bomb.

Honestly ground pepper starts to lose its flavor so fast you can taste the difference in a week. It's one of the worst of all spices to buy pre ground

Eventually, probably. They'll stay good long enough that you don't really need to worry about it.

I use 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon for 1 pound of ground beef. if you want to try thyme add half of the amount of cinnamon.
I also like to use cacao but usually forget to do it. Never tried brown sugar.

thanks for the info, I'll start out small and get one of those prefilled grinders next grocery trip.

what do you guys use to grind spices other than pepper? Can anybody vouch for using a mortar and pestle?

Close-up, 2.5 hours in

why do you type................................................like this???????????????????????

True. One of the most definitive signs of a poor cook is someone that uses pre-ground pepper.

>soy
ehh

btw is ck averse to tomatoes in chili?

what kind of salt do you guys use? that pink himalayan meme or is just coarse kosher salt good enough?

I use a mortar/pestle, but a good solid one made from an extremely hard stone. I bought it at a large Asian/International market and it works great. Heavy as hell, but that's good.

Do you remember what that ran you? I think I've seen them at the ethnic grocer, but there's a giant Asian market here too

it makes me................moist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bell peppers? seriously?

>Can anybody vouch for using a mortar and pestle?

I've got one.

A designated coffee grinder for spices is the way to go, though.

>beans

OP i am uncomfortable with your garlic. not so much the fact it's from a jar but more that you didn't fry it with the onions and just chucked it into the boiling/simmering mix. that is not how one should garlic.
also imo you should add a tablespoon or two of cornflour. makes a chilli silky desu. happy for chilli autists to tell me that's wrong though

>Are those peppercorns-in-a-grinder things any good?

no

the grind is too big

you need a cheap grinder that can be adjusted

???
they can all be adjusted

how do you adjust the ones that come packaged?

ones I have don't adjust on the top or bottom

This is the American mentality with fucking every dish.

the disposable ones i've seen have a little slider to adjust the grind

fuck ye bud

i got the flu atm so havin a few drinks and making a fat pot of chili to get over it

Geez, it's been several years. It must have been something like 30 bucks or less. I don't think I would have paid much more then.

Having said that, I might now pay more because it's a lifetime item. It's real solid. They call it a mojacete, in Spanish I think.

Ok, here's where the whole thing fell apart.
>not using dry beans
>2 days prior to chili day soak beans
>1 day prior to chili day, slow cook beans in crock pot with onion, spices
>chili day, add in meat and other goodness
By using canned beans, and not draining the liquid from them, you leave in all the fiber in the liquid that gives most people gas. If you dump out this water, you lose flavor because the beans were cooked in it.
By soaking your beans and draining out the initial soaking water and replacing it with fresh water, you leech out a lot of the fart creating fiber but leave in the flavor.

Looks dank

If I like farts is it okay to use canned? Not opposed to dry. Do dry taste much better?

Here we are 4.5 hours in. Just added the last of the spices.

2tbsp cumin
1tbsp chili p
1 tbsp cacao
2 tbsp Pickapeppa saus
1 tbsp ancho
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Will eat it in about an hour, no thickening agent necessary

>eating beans
>not farting

That's crazy talk.

its gonna be great fuck the haters

Bean farts are due to weak gut culture unaccustomed to dealing with the fiber in beans. If you eat enough beans, your gut culture will improve as the bugs that chow on this kind of fiber increase.
Some people never develop those superior gut culture bugs, and those people make the rest of us drain the flavor-water from our beans.

Those people should be killed.

My girlfriend is half Mexican and we eat a metric fuckton of beans. We fart but not more or less after beans

if you are browsing Veeky Forums then you use them enough to use a grinder and don't have to worry about them going stale

Post webm of gf farting please