I'm in vacation in NYC (the US's Mecca for Mexican Food) and I bought some tacos, I must say I'm quite impressed!

I'm in vacation in NYC (the US's Mecca for Mexican Food) and I bought some tacos, I must say I'm quite impressed!

I had Al Pastor, Bistec, Enchilada, and Suadero. My favorite was the Enchilada. The Suadero was interesting, it sort of reminded me of tuna.

I would like to get some more Mexican food while I'm here, any places/dishes in particular I should try?

Dominican food's where it's at m8

I would love to try that too, where would you recommend?

Also as a side note, Hispanic girls are fucking hot. So much Latina eye candy here in NYC!

>some spic found out NY didn't have enough basic meat/tortilla/cilantro/onion tacos
>yuppie "mission burrito" joints for 10 bucks a burrito

Yea NY sure is the epicenter of mexican food in america. Then again I took a french buddy to tacos in LA and he thought the pickled carrots go on your taco.

I'm in Sunset Park and there's tons of authentic Mexican food. I see lots of Mexicans and not many yuppie types,.

show us something authentic that they serve or some of the shops/scenery

La Casa del Mofongo in Washington Heights is GOAT tier. Malecon's breddy good too.
There's also this place called Ralph's out in Far Rockaway that's out of this world, buuuut
>Far Rockaway

Just google street view "Sunset Park 5th Avenue"

Roosevelt Ave in Jackson Heights also works

Thanks, I think I'll check out the place in Washington Heights

Not him but also try El Panadero bakery on 179th and st. nicolas ave. Their breads are really tasty, namely the 'relleno', a soft egg bread stuffed with ham and cheese. And get some fritura (deep fried chunks of different kinds of meat) as well. Luisa Chimi on 178th and st. Nicolas is really good and great for sharing after a night of drinking.

Thanks for the info!

What about Dominican girls? I've seen a lot of chicks so far who I think are Puerto Rican and Dominican and they are some of the best looking chicks I've ever seen. Where do they hang out on weekend nights?

>thinks the east coast will have more authentic mex food than the southwest, texas, or california when those were originally mex land.

Try celebrating Iroqouian indigenous fry bread, you hipster faggot.

There are a ton of Mexicans in the neighborhood I'm staying in, why would there not be authentic Mexican food here?

I'm also in Sunset Park, and for DF style antojitos and Puebla style tacos and tortas we're doing really fucking well. Best are from the El Bronco truck on 5th Ave. Pic related is the birria from the truck, served in a blue and white old school NYC coffee cup.

I really enjoyed the tacos from El Bronco but they smelly, is that normal?

I could also taste that whenever I burped

*they were smelly

>NYC is US's Mecca for Mexican food

What. There's got to be hundreds of Mexican places in border states ran by Mexicans serving real Mexican food that are better than pretentious food hipsters in New York.

Do you think every last person in New York is a pretentious hipster? There are working class Latino neighborhoods in NYC with plenty of authentic food options from their respective countries.

Smelly? The meat has a decent fat content and is well seasoned. Is that what you mean? Or could it be the generous amount of onion and cilantro they top them with? I wouldn't call them smelly, but for taquitos they pack a lot of flavor punch.

There are real mexicans serving real mexican food in literally every state. Hell there are real mexicans serving you most of the other kinds of food you can find too even in places with relatively small mexican populations

This. Most of the folks cooking in the Mexican places in Sunset Park are immigrants from Puebla.

There are an estimated 500,000 Mexicans in NYC, (the majority of whom are immigrants). That's a lot of people when you think about it.

I've had a million tacos from other places like that in NYC and I've never smelled that before. It almost smelled like bile.

Maybe it was one of my meat choices? Or perhaps they use a different kind of onion from what I'm used to.

Whew. There goes my desire to Mexishit.

That's the aroma of authenticity

I've had a million other authentic tacos and they didn't smell like that.

Does Suadero meat have a strong smell by any chance? Maybe that could have been it.

What are you talking about?

That's the aroma of poorly cleaned and cooked tripe, idiot.

I didn't order any tripe tacos.

Also, you're a dickhead.

retard 2 da max BTW I typed in like twenty laughing emojis. NYC is NOT mecca for Mexican food. You misspelled southern California or Texas. OG Nigga. Fresh from the border beaner prepared deliciousness.

FUCK DONGUS

Have you ever even been to NYC?

you will never have this

Did you get them at the truck or at the restaurant on 4th? I know at the restaurant they put papalo on the cemitas, and that herb has a powerful aroma and taste kind of like burnt rubber, and you taste it for hours after. But they don't use on any of the offerings at the truck to the best of my knowledge. Could it have been the pineapple in the al pastor that threw you? Or did you order the tripe or" cow intestine" without realizing what it was?

What is that, some type of eurofag Arby's?

I ordered from the truck. I don't think it was the pineapple, it wasn't a fruity aroma at all.

Maybe you had a little bit of shit in your nostril

I did sniff your girlfriend's asshole

sorry bro. Rick Bayless' restaurants are in Chicago, not Cali or Texas.

>Does Suadero meat have a strong smell by any chance?
It's a thin cut between the other muscle around the rib and the skin. And it does mush out when you cook it. I would think it's one of the funkier non-offal parts of the cow.
We're talking Mexican food, not Mexican American. And over the last decade and a half NYC has gone from laughably bad Mission style Mexican to a place where it's pretty easy to find great examples of (mostly Puebla style) real Mexican. And it's just as popular on the high end as well. Olvera (one of the top chefs in DF) has a place here. One of the hottest tables in town is the chef's table at Empelleon, where people sit in rapt attention while Alex Stupak makes tacos for them. Mexican has totally blown up in NYC.

I wonder if immigrants from other parts of Mexico will start coming. I think there are a decent amount of people from Oaxaca already but there don't seem to be many Oaxacan style restaurants yet.

oh and don't forget the Chinese run "Mexican" places lol.

My uncle went to Mexico and he told me they don't really use toilet paper there but if they really need to wipe they'll use one of those cheap corn tortillas. Apparently in the poorer slums they sometimes reuse those tortillas for cheap street tacos, I kinda doubt they would do that in the states but maybe the place you went to was going for maximum authenticity

you're trying way too hard

Stick to calling people "niggers" on XBOX live for now

OP, just keep working your way through menus, hitting all the new items. It's the tacos de bistec that really I go home to, over and over, that squeeze of lime, cilantro and onion, is just so delicious. I don't even use salsa half of the time.
Soups are usually amazing as a starter. Try every kind no matter what else you're ordering. Also, get a homemade drink, any kind of aqua fresca, batido shake, or whatever they have...get it!

You'll find salsa quality varies in restaurants, might even be one of their most costly foods. Pickled carrots, onions, peppers can be asked for, upon request.

Orgasmic is chicken mole if you can find it and you think its homemade. Sopes/huaraches are kind of special homemade tortillas that are thicker like an arepa. You can sometimes get them with nopales, which is definitely something you won't get just anywhere and worth having once.

Dessert baked goods are so-so in mexico, sometimes just french influence puff pastries, or very sweet cakes or not so sweet donut like rolls. But there are exceptions. The dinner roll called a bolillo is sourdough and awesome. Their flan will be to die for, as will be any rice pudding. Someone serving breakfast will have the concha or other not-so-sweet roll, but also have yummy hot chocolate, atole (thick pudding-like corn starch drink), and coffee. The best breakfast choice is chilaquiles.

Oaxacans who cook professionally are on the line at upscale places because when they got here word got out they tended to be hard working and were good in the kitchen. They got hired as dishwashers and many worked their way up. They're cooking French and Italian food for a living now, not Oaxacan.

Yep, Oaxacans (but also people from DF and Puebla) can be found cooking in all sorts of restaurants in New York.

Still, a Oaxacan restaurant can definitely do well, like the one in Mott Haven.

>chicken mole

God, I had that from a wrinkled old Grandma of a friend of mine. We sat in the living room drinking Modelo beer from 10 in the morning and she'd been working since 6 am. We ate at 7 pm and it was an otherworldly experience. God it was sublime. I've never quite had flavors come together so perfectly.

I'm in Houston, and I've never heard of NYC being the America Mecca for Mexican food. I mean I'm right at the border compared to NYC, and there's a Mexican restaurant on every corner here.

Why would NYC be more of a Mexifood Mecca than Houston?

Because Tex Mex sucks, as does most Norteno cowboy cooking. Watered down examples of this cuisine convinced many Americans that Mexican food was shit. But you're not alone. SF style burritos did as much damage nationally.

Let the real Mexicans immigrate and heal the wounds. Let them go to places far from the border and dazzle with cooking that has little if anything to do with cumin, sour cream, shitty cheese or flour tortillas.

NYC is famous for being able to get so many of the world's foods correct but having some of the worst Mexican food in the US

>Mexicans
>Actually cooking well
Good joke user, can't wait for those cherry picked images of four star restaurants and dishes a retarded five year old could make.

Who told you that they had good mexican food in new york? Have you never been to any state on the border? Are you retarded? Can you kill yourself? So many questions.

Who do you think has a bigger ego? New Yorkers or Texans?

Both of you are imbeciles that know nothing of mex cooking. Let's leave it at that.

And by working class he means either people working for the hospital or people dealing drugs, at least in the heights.side note, how many of you cu/ck/s live in the heights?

>he actually thinks texmex is moms tacos

>NYC (the US's Mecca for Mexican Food)
lol what

I know. I bet there are people who actually believe that too.

Most of them are Puerto Ricans but, ya, a lot of them are rica chicas

Local bars. Lucky 7 is la casa del mofongo's sister bar. Same company also runs a spot called south beach two blocks down. La marina is another good spot but that's really uptown, past dykman. Regardless, wherever it is you decide to pick up dr or pr chicks just make sure you can dance. And if you can't just try to.

No, its Mexican food is really good now actually. Only someone who hasn't been here or is not in the know would think that.

Do you not realize NYC has several neighborhoods with a shitton of Mexicans? They have a presence in every borough.

Yeah I'm sure you're way better at cooking than those Mexican chefs....retard

New York has tons of good Mexican food, there are 500,000 Mexicans here

No, maybe for Dominicans (although that's still a huge generalization) but Mexicans do all sorts of stuff but especially cooking and construction.

As an anecdote: I'm Mexican and one of my brothers worked at a restaurant in NY, according to him the food was pretty authentic and the kitchen was pretty much only staffed by Mexicans.

>the kitchen was pretty much only staffed by Mexicans
That's most restaurants in NY

Didn't he say his coworkers fucked trannies?

Al pastor is life.

>tfw no qt Nuyomexican gf

how much is the cover charge at La Marina? And is it an outdoor place? I'm not really into those and they tend to be seasonal for obvious reasons.

yes! you remembered me! they allso spoke in Zapotec and not Spanish

How's Zapotec different than Mexican? For example, how do you say, "como esta usted?" In Zapotec?

>Tacos Matamoros masterrace checking in

It's been a while since I've been but it was nice at the time. Apparently the quality has dipped significantly since then. Also there's no cover charge outside of musical events.

It's completely different. It's a native Mexican language. It's as close to Spanish as Japanese.

They're my second favorite in the neighborhood. Almost landed there tonight, but we were out with a friend from SF who had lived in Mexico for a while, and she wasn't all that hot for Mexican tonight. So we ended up doing Turkish at Kofte Piyaz, which is quite good in terms of food and service and a very good value. And our friend was impressed, so it was the right choice.

Do you like it more than El Bronco?

That's fucking hilarious

excuse me while I drop some pics from around houston that you cant even order without spanish

these are flour but i watch someones grandma slap em out right in front of me so fuck it theyre delicious

this user has the right idea

Ok, Houstonfag. I'm a Manhattanfag, and while i'd admit that Texas has an excellent availability of 'authentic Mexican cuisine', all you're showing us is fucking tacos. Tacos are delicious and good, but let's not pretend that they aren't babby's first entry level Mexican food that you can get pretty much anywhere where people speak Spanish in the US. It'd be like Euros arguing over who has the best American cuisine and they use pictures of burgers to prove it. Anyone thinking that Mexican style tacos are exotic anymore either lives in the deepest depths of the rural Midwest, or hasn't been paying attention in the last 10-15 years.

While other anons have mentioned the 500,000 Mexican immigrants here in NYC, let's face it. Unless you live here, no one is gonna find good Mexican food in the city, because tourists never want to go north of 96th street or outside any borough that doesn't start with an 'M'. It's a damn shame, but at the same time I kinda like not getting the tourism bullshit fucking up my neighborhood.

If you're in town sometime, try going up into The Bronx. South Bronx has some good food, and I had a really good mole in either Mott Haven or Morrisania, I can't remember.

>NYC (the US's Mecca for Mexican Food)

Actually, tons of tourists go to Brooklyn now.

And there is even authentic Mex in the East Village, but of course you'll find more Mexican food in neighborhoods where Mexicans actually live.

>try going off the beaten path in NYC.

The problem is that's kind of tricky for someone who isn't familiar with it. 10 years ago I visited a friend who's native NYC and he took me to a lot of off the beaten path restaurants that were great. But as we were walking or on the subway, I'd say something like let's get off at this stop and walk so I can see the area and sometmes he'd say, we don't want to get off at this stop. We've got to go a couple more, because this areas bad. But there'd be no way for a non-native to know that. Based on what he was saying, you can have perfectly fine and comfortable areas adjacent to some downright dangerous ones without much of a transition.

Your friend sounds like a pussy, there's pretty much nowhere left in NYC that's too dangerous to venture anymore.

NYC's dangerous areas are like a tickle party pillow fight compared to Detroit. The only reason Chicago has more shootings than Detroit is that everyone is now gone. Nobody left to rob or steal from. The city has demolished so much of it's structures that it has turned into farm land. I saw white tailed deer strolling around near downtown just last fall.

I dunno some white kids might see my outfit and snicker as I walk past. Sound pretty risky to me.

lol what. The "dangerous neighborhoods" in New York have like 2 murders a year and it costs 2k to live there.

Sure, white boy.

Sure.

Not to mention, the only areas that migjt actually be bad for a tourist to walk around (Brownsville, East New York) are balls deep in Brooklyn and it's unlikely a tourist would be anywhere near there.

Lol you're the scared white suburbanite

I lived in East Harlem for a bit, which is considered the most dangerous area in Manhattan. I am also white and was usually dressed for white-collar work, which presumably would paint a big target on me. During the day, no one ever gave a fuck except beggars who would single me out, and at night (like 1-4 am) I'd occasionally see some gangsters on corners selling drugs, but as long as you didn't just walk up to them and start talkin you were fine.

The most important part of hanging out in a "bad neighborhood" at night is to:
1. don't look or dress like a tourist or carry touristy things, (backpack, camera, water bottle,etc.)
2. don't be such a tryhard to blend in that it backfires and you look like undercover NYPD instead
3. don't be meek, but don't be rude either

Also, if you're trying to find something in a neighborhood and you're close but not quite able to find it, stop staring at your fucking phone and just ask a shopkeeper, delivery guy on a bike, or a woman. Looking at your phone constantly like you're lost says you're not from around the area and oblivious.

simbly ebin

that looks honestly disgusting