"Inauthentic" shit you prefer

>"Inauthentic" shit you prefer

Flour tortillas are better in every single situation over corn tortillas

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/02/12/world/americas/oaxacas-native-maize-embraced-by-top-chefs-in-us-and-europe.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like corns better

i always use one of each and roll them up together ._.

They both have their appeal.

My parents would make me pick which ones we were going to have to eat for dinner. If dinner didn't turn out right, they would get upset and take two tortillas and clap them together on the tip of my penis until I screamed.

I would normally choose flour because of the softness.

Okay

They both have their appeal.

I much prefer corn for fish tacos, for instance.

Homemade flour tortillas are lovely though.

Ok, that's enough internet for today. Time for beddyby.

I know that feel. When I was a kid I made my dad a chicken and rice wrap with a flour tortilla. He slapped me for not using corn and snapped the neck of my Fischer love bird. Now I'm a depressed alcoholic and pretty much just eat fish, fruits and vegetables

flour tortillas are for breakfast only. cant imagine having them for lunch

Nothing cozier on a Saturday morning than a nice, soft, flour tortilla filled to the brim with C'apn Crunch and 2% milk.

I love both tought

When I was a young boy my Mexican babysitter would make me quesadillas with the corn, than shoved it in my ass as she fellated me

I sort of agree. Yet I only cook with the corn version.

Agreed.
Disagreed

>not cooking up fresh tortillas on the flat top
yall niggas just dont know

I don't know how to make flour tortillas, but freshly made corn tortillas are pretty lovely and corn-and-flour ones are good, too.

>using flour tortillas for enchilada or entomatada
>using flour tortillas for fried foods
>using flour tortillas for nachos
lolno

I lean towards flour tortillas in most other respects, but appreciate both.

Almost all British "Indian" dishes over the authentic equivalent. Also the very rich, thick sauce take on "goulash" that you find in UK and USA.

I spent time in Mexico and the only corn tortillas I saw where blue corn ones at some meme taco stand but then again I hate Mexican food and tried to avoid it the whole time.

audible kek

Agreed

You're wrong on two levels.
1. Corn tortillas are way better for fried preparations or dishes with thick sauces, like enchiladas.
2. Flour tortillas are not inauthentic by any means, they're just used for different purposes and are more popular in the north of Mexico.

Best masa preparada?

retard alert

corn tortillas are better for making fried tacos which are the fucking bomb

I use them for different things. Toastadas with flour tortillas get all fucked up, puffy and just..unpleasant.

TopKek

>Flour tortillas are better in every single situation over corn tortillas
Yeah man, I love frying up flour tortillas and dipping them into some fresh salsa.

Corn flour is 12x as expensive as flour here.

So unless you fund my venture i will continue to make flour enchiladas.

Corn has more flavour but I've never had one that didn't fall apart so I stick with flour. Plus, Taco Bell uses flour so we can be assured that is the authentic way

The best are half corn/half wheat, which have the flavor of corn and the structural integrity of wheat.

corn is goat player u best believe that

Where is "here" and how does one make a flour tortilla enchilada without the thing falling apart faster than a house of cards outside on a windy day?
Where I am, masa flour is exactly the same price as strong wheat flour.

Because of my inability to make flour tortillas well, I've taken to making naan-like wheat-and-corn/masa pseudotortillas. They're pretty great. All the deliciousness and strength of corn tortillas plus the flexibility of wheat.

I prefer corn as a side or for tacos.

>fired foods
>ever

Corn tortillas are easier to make and healthier, but flour tortillas aren't hard either.

3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup lard or shortening
1 cup hot water

Mix first 3 ingredients. Cut in lard or shortening. Add water and mix until it comes together in a ball. If too dry add waer 1 Tbs at a time. Knead 3 minutes. Rest 15 minutes. Roll or press out to desired thickness. Cook on griddle like corn tortilla.

Flour is worse when you have wet fillings because it drips right out instead of getting absorbed.

So that's 420ish-450ish g flour, have I got that right?

The naan-like ones I make aren't too dissimilar, swapping in ADY for baking powder and using a longer rest period. I never had any luck cooking anything requiring baking powder or baking soda, which is odd as most people seem to have issues working with yeast.

We eat literally all the foods that American dietetics says to avoid (fried foods, saturated fats and a generally high-carb/low-protein diet, for example) yet we lead longer (about 12% longer, on average, which is nearly 10 years), healthier (far, far fewer of us are dependent on medication in late life compared to older Americans) and more active lives (our elderly continue to live, work, walk and enjoy life well into their 70s, 80s and beyond).
So you enjoy your gluten-free diet and die weak, feeble and bedridden in your late 70s and I'll enjoy my deep-fried, cheese-stuffed everything and die happily in my later 80s, thanks. :)

>420ish-450ish g flour

Sounds about right because 3 1/2 cups is a little over a pound.

Traditionally, flour tortillas are usually a weekend brunch affair. Handmade of course and much thicker and heavier then what comes from the grocery store.

And most mexican families in the US will fucking not think twice about just straight up getting two mission flour tortillas, slapping in some government cheese and ham slices, and microwaving that sucker.

>our elderly continue to live, work, walk and enjoy life well into their 70s, 80s and beyond

Our elderly did that once before, then so many of us got desk jobs. Things like salted pork, bacon, fried eggs, fatty sausages and loads of bread made more sense when you spent 12 hours a day working on a farm, driving spikes by hand on a railroad or working hard labor construction.

corn doesn't fair much better, that shit will still fall apart

Corn falls apart more easily, thats why you always need two and even then its not a matter of if it'll break apart but when

I like corn more, it's more toothy and contrasts nicely with the softer rice/bean/meat combo of conventional tacos.

Nope sorry, I like corn buddy and there's nothing you can do or say about it either.
It just goes better with things like beans and rice, same here agree totally with you.

>not making cheese quesadillas with folded in half flour tortillas on a panini press

This

You know you're supposed to heat them first, right? This makes them pliable and they won't fall apart.

>not just making tamales

Cmon now

japanese curry is best

I'll just say when I went to Chipotle the first time, ordered tacos and those motherfuckers gave me a fucking flour tortilla, I about slapped a bitch

>Flour tortillas are better in every single situation over corn tortillas

Even cutting up, soaking in tequila then deep frying to make tortilla chips?

this triggers me so hard, user, you dont even know

I was a bit disappointed to find out that Chicken Parmigiana is not actually an Italian recipe, but an American dish based on something that was in Italy, originally made with eggplant, and still is. At the same time, it seems like part of a larger theme of Americans taking recipes from other countries and making them tastier.

>it seems like part of a larger theme of Americans taking recipes from other countries and making them into boring assemblies of bread, meat, cheese, and sweet sauce
fixed

I prefer corn tortillas for most purposes. Just lightly grilled for a few seconds.

But flour tortillas that are deep fried for just a few seconds... one of the most amazing foods I can imagine. All warm and soft and bubbly...

Most people over do it until it's crunchy. That's going too far.

>>it seems like part of a larger theme of Americans taking recipes from other countries and making them into delicious assemblies of bread, meat, cheese, and sweet sauce.
Refixed.
If you lived in a land of plenty too, you'd understand.

I fucking love sweet and sour pork/chicken with fried rice and chowmein

its awesome dipping it in hot mustard

Fry the corn into a hardshell shape and you'll change your tune real fast with some good taco meat.

Hello there Reddit!

I'm American too. You're probably poor. If you'd experienced actual plenty, you would be impressed by plebian shit like chicken parm.

corn tastes like shit.

Americans like putting cheese on meat dishes. There are traditional cheese and meat dishes, but in America this is more the norm than the exception. In other places traditionally cheese was added to vegetable based dishes to boost the fat and protein levels to those of meat dishes. This is especially true when it comes to poultry dishes. When you see chicken and cheese together if it isn't chicken Cordon Bleu it's most likely an American dish.

That's hot

Im actually hard thinking about that

Agreed.

how does one make good flour tortillas?

grandparents are tejanos, they always make flour because they grew wheat in their part of Tejas.

Flour Tortilla's feel too doughy imo, especially if you get a bite that's mostly tortilla and you can basically taste only flour and has this sort of flowery residue on it. It's just kinda nasty. Corn is nice and flavorful, even with the all tortilla bites.

i really wish corn free food would catch on. like gluten free. corn is a shit tier food.

Corn tastes good though.

Nah.
It depends on the food you're eating. If you really think flour is good for every meal you're an idiot.

Fun fact: corn tortillas have a third to half the calories of flour ones. This is why when making something with corn tortillas, like tacos, enchiladas etc, you typically double up on them.

Flour products will fall apart, too, if left in contact with moisture, no different than corn ones.

Still corn > wheat for taste but wheat > corn for texture.

Mfw this has 4000 points on Reddit and I was here when it was posted.

>Corn tastes good though.
In corn-based products, but not when it is simply added as a cheap subsidized filler.

Corn tortillas are way better than flour tortillas, there is not comparison in terms of taste. Fun to make too.

That said, I wouldn't eat corn products from Mexico or even the southern states.

I like corn tortillas, but they fall apart too easily. Flour is good for burritos

>Inauthentic
Spics use both. Just depends on the situation and personal preference.
Source: I'm a spic.

mfw this thread is still going
pick up a bag of masa harina at your local grocery and discover what you've been missing
If they are dry and brittle, you did something wrong... after making them fresh you gotta keep em warm

you sir are an idiot
nytimes.com/2016/02/12/world/americas/oaxacas-native-maize-embraced-by-top-chefs-in-us-and-europe.html?_r=0

how do you make corn chips taste good without cheese? even smothering them in salsa doesnt work.

>I'm a spic

kys for calling yourself a spic

HAHA GUYS I"M ROTFFLMAO AT THIS POST ITS ON /r/Veeky Forums LOLOLO LIT AF LIT AF SENPAI SENPAI FAK SENPAI LIT LIT LIT AM I A BTARD NOW LIT AF LIT AF

h3h3 it's time to stop xD

chicano

Kill yourself

CORN TORTILLAS ARE GOOD WITH SEAFODO TYPE TACOS LIKE SHRIMP OR CHICKEN

I thought I was the only person whose parents did this... thank u 4 sharing

holy shit, i took this picture. i cant believe somebody actually saved it

White corn is superior

wheat flour makes a better tortilla and wheat is actually more nutricious than corn.

Packaged corn tortillas are shit.

But

Fresh-made corn >>>>> flour

you mean blue corn

You're an attention whore with way too much time on your hands

i wont deny that

>meme corn

>tfw ran out of tortillas and only had lefse to make a breakfast burrito with

Based

Many places offer choice over flour or corn which only lets you know how often they sell to out of towners

I forgot about that shit thats superior too

I've never had a homemade waffle that I liked more than an Eggo